HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2013, 01:29 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Cool
Rbc f-20

2013 has been a bad year for me. Several reasons, but building was not something I could really get into. The last two months has shown an improvement in my physical and spiritual well being. So I finished up a project, started another, and decided to get the F-20 going for next year.

The F-20 is typical RBC construction. Much thought is needed, to avoid working ones-self into the proverbial corner. Usually, RBC provides a construction manual with not to clear pics. No fear from that. There is no manual! Just a full size set of plans and a CD with pics. Once studied, the pics help greatly. But one should really have some experience in building an RBC kit. (which don't make much sense... which one would one start with)

But I like a challenge, and any RBC kit I have built flew VERY well.

LOA: 46-1/16", WS 25-38" Proto AUW 38oz. I know I can get this down. 30oz is goal, as with the Skyhawk.

This is not a build thread, more of a pictorial.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Last edited by St. Martin; Dec 28, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2013, 02:09 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,756 Posts
Good to see you back at it!

Looks good. I like that make believe scheme.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Last edited by Kevin Cox; Dec 24, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 03:05 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,581 Posts
Lookin good fuzz!!! Im having a gard time figuring out what scheme i want to do on my f20 as well...make it bright....its gunna get small quick!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:14 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Hi Kevin, Hi Brent, Merry Xmas to you both and your families! I like that scheme too, Kevin. The markings may cost about 20-25bux from Callie. I may splurge on myself for xmas and do it. I already have the ED markings.

Guess what Brent, I think this would do well enlarged, like the Skyhawk. All the parts are on these plans. Make it a larger increase and use a cut Midi Evo @ 80mm. The fan in this is the Mini Pro, Mega 16/15/4, 5s-2000. Or I may swap that out and go with the HET 3W-25 and use the many 3s-2000 packs I have in a 6s config, should it look like it's going to need the tail weight.

For-seeing this possibility, I placed a battery tray between the ducting, that puts the 5s near the CG. This gives a 12" batt placement adjustment. I like the 5s system. Only 22A and 400+ watts. Very light system. And I'm not a speed freak. Infact, I'm thinking of running a 58mm exhaust to favor the static side and increase the slow vertical.

Heck, Kevin you were around when 250-300W were the norm for a 40oz jet. I don't miss those day's too much. So 425W @ 30 oz is pristine! We'll babbled long enough...back to the shop room...

Fuzz
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:22 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,523 Posts
looks nice right about the size of my all composite F-20 ...maybe my ducts would fit if you dont have any in the kit.my bad i see there built in .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:25 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Hi Roger, Merry Xmas! Too late Roger, already made from balsa.

Fuzz
Old Dec 24, 2013, 08:56 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,866 Posts
Merry Christmas Fuzz.

Been waiting for you to start another build.

...I haven't built one plane this year either.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Dec 24, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,733 Posts
Hi Fuzz,
good to see you back. Looking forward to seeing an enlarged F-20.

Merry Christmas,

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Old Dec 25, 2013, 04:18 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Hi Julian & Dan! Merry Xmas!

This was the only things I completed all year. The Firefly and two (excuse my language) foamies. The PH3 F-16's helped me break out of the doldrums. And they were quite highly modified. Haven't flown the Firefly, but, both "16's" fly great.

Mine, the ANG version used a light 5s system like the F-20. The Tiger "31" uses one of my homemade 505's, HET 2W20, and 4s. My friends version is quite faster, but mine will go from slow alpha to strait up, slowly/realistically.

Fuzz
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:35 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
575 Posts
Fuzz,
Your threads from years ago have been helping me along with the build of my panther. And you aren't kiddin, the instructions could be much improved. However now that it is framed up, I haven't looked at them in a while. I am modding mine for flaps and retracts, most of which are done. Just have to finish the actual construction and finishing. Fun kit to build, and nice to get back into building rather than assembling. Merry Christmas!

Jay
Jayray123 is offline Find More Posts by Jayray123
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:53 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Hi Jay, Merry Christmas to you too! Once you get going, on an RBC kit, It's not bad at all. Somestimes a part may defy logic, but is for a reason. The RBC Skyhawk wing is a good example. Forget what you know about washout jig placement. That one will shock you. But once done, You understand it.

I would love to do another Panther. RC electric jets has them. But they are beyond my wallet. Perhaps sometime in the future things will get better.

I'm almost done with the F-20's fuselage planking. This jet makes the Panther look so simple. Compound curves, twisted planks...you name it. I can not visualize sheeting.

Fuzz
Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:43 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,460 Posts
Fuzz,

Always interested in your builds.

Best to you in 2014...
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:36 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Best to you, Larry, and thank you!

Fuzz
Old Dec 28, 2013, 04:56 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
Wheeeew....

Finally done with the planking. This one was a bit of a challenge. Took some light filler to get it right. Rob supplies a latch system for holding the canopy and base. I chose to use magnets. I am also holding the vac formed exhaust on with magnets. The only access to the elevator-rons(?) is through the back. So..permanent attachment was not an option.

The servo location has access through the fan hatch, on the fuse bottom. I'll tackle this after glassing. Weight of fuselage, wing panels and vertical, is 10.7 oz. I think I can make my 30oz goal weight. The RBC Skyhawk was a little heavier(IIRC) at this point and it was 30oz.

The Best of Seasons to all!

Fuzz
Last edited by St. Martin; Mar 02, 2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 05:18 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,268 Posts
looking good sm. love that leopard paint scheme
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer