HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:33 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,696 Posts
On the temp sensor you could simply use the thermistor and a DMM, read the resistance in Ohms, and look it up on a chart. It won't take long to get familiar with what you want to use for your cut off reading.

If you want to try one of those little thermistors I have PM me a mailing address. I added my own leads and put it in heat shrink so just the bead was exposed. I wanted to get closed to the heat and it worked out great for me.

You can see in the attached image how the blue temperature trace responds to throttle changes in a few seconds. I watch that (displayed as numerals) on the LCD as I test and when I see 130F I drop back a few clicks and let it level off.

The little bead will fit in the cooling vents and on CD-ROM style motor I have a hole in the board the mount is on that I can push the bead through and make it rest against windings. I did not want to wait for the heat to wick itself out the back plate or some other place away from the windings.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:49 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
A look at the 9T on the PC suite.
8T=1050Kv
9T= 825Kv
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:01 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,696 Posts
Looks like the Kv is a better match for the prop. I love it when the temp curve flattens out at full throttle like that and just stays level, tells me that that the input power is about perfect.

Nice job!

So the powder coat handled the first overheating OK?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Thank You for the compliment but don't forget to give yourself credit, as much of what I have learned came from your patient instruction and observation.

No problem with the powder coat. The motor would had survived if it was being cooled properly. I got carried away with epoxy doing the termination (see pic in post # 21 ) between the excess heat shrink and epoxy on the winding there was no airflow through the discolored windings. That's why only half were toasty.
Last edited by zeroback; Apr 01, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Rigged and ready to run, I was able to remove a total 5.5oz of weight, a large part due to the low amp draw of this motor compared to the Park480. Being able to go from a 3S 2100 to a 3S 1350 was the most significant change in weight. With almost two to one thrust to weight ratio and the lighter AUW I anticipate a great flying plane. At 28oz with an AXi 2808/24 it flew nice and landed gracefully but lacked the power to hover. With a change to an E-flite Park 480 and a set of Dubro lite wheels the 30oz frame flew and landed way to fast although it did have hovering power it just didn't want to slow down for landing. Static bench tests indicate 6 min flight time same as the before, but on a smaller less expensive pack.
Looking forward to some dynamic data as I installed a 20A HK Super Brain ESC/data recorder. I have an Eagle Tree and the Emeter devices but the added weight of the recorder skews the data on small planes adding so much weight. Took a week to get the software installed and working (computer challenged) but for $30.00 so far it looks like a good deal for smaller airframes.
Last edited by zeroback; Apr 16, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
I found the missing bell (it really wasn't missing) After soaking it in acetone and epoxy cleaner for umpteen months (since the last posts) the JB weld looking epoxy finally softened enough to pop the magnets loose with out destroying them. Now for some some stronger magnets. I have the formula for the chemicals to combine to soften JB weld in a week but had more time than money for this subject
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:23 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,895 Posts
I've had good results with PVC pipe cleaner. The container is handy too. I take the fibers off of the built on the lid brush, and form a hook. That makes parts retrieval easy and it keeps them submerged but off the bottom where the gunk accumulates.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:54 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,070 Posts
Maybe Acetone.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:18 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,895 Posts
That is the main ingredient in pipe cleaners, but other powerful solvents are added. I can't name them all off hand, but toluene and xylene come to mind.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Dec 28, 2013, 01:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
I've had good results with PVC pipe cleaner. The container is handy too. I take the fibers off of the built on the lid brush, and form a hook. That makes parts retrieval easy and it keeps them submerged but off the bottom where the gunk accumulates.
Thanks I'll give it a try