HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Fixed it! Yes stock ESC. Gets no warmer than with stock prop. No mix needed on mine.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:10 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Fixed it! Yes stock ESC. Gets no warmer than with stock prop. No mix needed on mine.
Interesting prop choice! Does it list the size/pitch on the prop? I may have to order that sucker.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
7x3 but it's REALLY stiff and efficient. I only tried it because it's all my LHS had in range and I was desperate to get something else on there. I'm glad I found it by accident though!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
7x3 but it's REALLY stiff and efficient. I only tried it because it's all my LHS had in range and I was desperate to get something else on there. I'm glad I found it by accident though!
Nice. I'll have to pick one of those up and see how it compares. Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Anybody else need a ton of rudder to elevator mix? Mine pulls really hard to the gear/belly no matter where the CG is.
Turnerm - I felt this way about mine but actually managed to get a few decent ones with a little more time on it. But the pull was there, just more familiarity with feel helped. But got the advice below in the 3d foamy forum

Originally Posted by Orem_Aeronut View Post
It's not perfect just yet, but the rudder to elevator mix is pretty good, definitely better than none. I currently have it set to D: +9% U: -11%. I also had some decent results with the rudder to ailerons at L: -6% R: -6%. Again, these values could use a bit more tweaking, but its a good place to start. I'd be interested to know how it works for you and others, or if you had better results with different settings. - end quote

I had never used mixes before, but put the rudder to elev mix in as he recommended and ke became a simple matter now. To watch it on the surfaces, it's not a lot of movement, but really helped. If it works for you thank Orem_Aeronut in the 3d foamy forum.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Last edited by bobly; Nov 24, 2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:40 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Thanks Bobly. I was able to get it into KE just fine but I was just surprised by how much mix I needed to make it not pull to the gear (without my thumbs doing the mixing ). Most of my larger planes only require a little bit of mix (3-7 range) but this required a whopping 19!!!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Thanks Bobly. I was able to get it into KE just fine but I was just surprised by how much mix I needed to make it not pull to the gear (without my thumbs doing the mixing ). Most of my larger planes only require a little bit of mix (3-7 range) but this required a whopping 19!!!
Check your elevator. Mine loosened and was all out of whack and didn't realize it until the 20th flight or so. One side was up a little and the other down a little. This plane really does have some major QC issues
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,768 Posts
Quote:
This plane really does have some major QC issues
*EVERYTHING* Horizon Hobby manufactures has QC issues!! They need to pay their sweat shop kids a higher salary, and use better quality parts.

That being said, I am done with HH helicopters forever.. Their airplanes are cool most of the time.. I think I got a decent 540 and I love my Sbach..
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
OK guys, I've got a question :-)
Most of you seem to think that the Edge is better than the Sbach. My question is, which one do you find easier to fly/do aerobatics with? Obviously the Edge can do more in the way of aerobatics but for things like knife-edge, hovering, harriers etc.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:09 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I have had nothing but issues with HH products since May of this year... Instead of Banana Hobby getting better to compete with HH, it seems HH decided to start following BH business model and started shipping junk

Mean while Banana Hobby copied HH and added oversize fees to all their stuff now
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:11 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,722 Posts
How is the stab attached? Screws or just taped on?
I love hh products have owned many planes and helis current have a b450 fbl b cpp, extra 3d, mcpx, plane to get this edge soon i hope
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Check your elevator. Mine loosened and was all out of whack and didn't realize it until the 20th flight or so. One side was up a little and the other down a little. This plane really does have some major QC issues
My horizontal stabilizer was loose and misaligned out of the box, but I straightened it up and glued it in place before I flew it. I also glued the wing in. I just use small beads of hot melt for the wings and stab so if they ever need replacement, it's easy to cut through it. Just top and bottom of stab and top and bottom at front and back of each wing. This stiffened things up a lot. Before doing the wings it seemed to me that the wing could move back at the wing tips from air pressure enough to make the aileron rub on the side of the fuse. After the little beads of hot melt, it doesn't move nearly like it did before.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdomification View Post
OK guys, I've got a question :-)
Most of you seem to think that the Edge is better than the Sbach. My question is, which one do you find easier to fly/do aerobatics with? Obviously the Edge can do more in the way of aerobatics but for things like knife-edge, hovering, harriers etc.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
The only thing that I have found easier on the sbach 3d vs the edge is knife edge . But a little practice and mix cured that. I suppose I could add that the as3x maybe makes it a bit easier to keep the nose on point in rolls, but the Edge does not have problems there anyway. The Sbach had been my most used plane since the first version came out, but afraid it's lost its place now. Edit: just to add - there is really no comparing the way the two fly - they are completely different breeds of animal. The edge does not fly like a um plane. It flies much more like bigger balsa planes. It's light on the wings and will float around compared to the sbach and will even glide. The sbach stalls like a brick if you get it too slow, the Edge stalls like a feather if you get it too slow.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:07 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
967 Posts
I agree with Tom, except mine does not require any mix for knife edge. I wonder why?
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:23 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,605 Posts
Just picked one up. Had not even heard of it until yesterday. Time for more batteries. Wonder if it would tow an ASK-21?
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon