HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:08 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
What about 2 smaller 2500mah packs ?
Probably however remember that the quad has the esc's etc inside an enclosed space. I just did a flight with some 12 inch props on and the esc's were very hot after a 6 minute flight. There is no air circulation inside, i doubt you will get away with 10 minute flights in summer.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:25 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
Please do check. I want one of this frame but my motor setup require 12 props for getting 15 to 20 mins fly time with 5000mah lipo
Larger batteries don't necessarily mean a lot longer flights. Larger batteries = more weight = more power required to fly = more amp draw = quicker depletion of the batter. So you may gain some flight time, but not significantly more flight time. This unit is already on the heavier side for a quad this size and such a huge battery isn't going to help.

For longer flight times you might consider a more efficient power system...say a 4S battery, 850kv +/- motors and 8" props.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Ugh, can't decide what to go for.

2826 1350kv NTM motors that can take 3S and 4S.

Or 1400kv 2212 Sunnysky motors that can only take 3S.

I need to grind down the shaft on the NTM motors.
But not on the Sunnysky ones.

NTM motors can take 4S in case you need more power.
Sunnysky motors can't.

NTM motors come with very stiff motor wires, basically magnet/enamel wires with a bit of shrinktubing around them. Sunnysky motors come with silicone wires that are far more durable.

What to do what to do...
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:47 AM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Probably however remember that the quad has the esc's etc inside an enclosed space. I just did a flight with some 12 inch props on and the esc's were very hot after a 6 minute flight. There is no air circulation inside, i doubt you will get away with 10 minute flights in summer.
On my waterproof tricopter I installed aluminium heatsinks through the fuselage so that the fins stick outside and four screws plus silicone sealant make sure it's a watertight installation. Then I mounted the ESCs on the inside side of the heatsink. It works well, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to do the same with this shells.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:58 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Aug 2011
256 Posts
Im curious if anyone used Dji Naza with gps and fpv stuff for flight controller. I wanna see how it will fit inside with batteries.
kryptoknight is offline Find More Posts by kryptoknight
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,031 Posts
I will tell you once mine arrives -
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:35 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptoknight View Post
Im curious if anyone used Dji Naza with gps and fpv stuff for flight controller. I wanna see how it will fit inside with batteries.
There's a picture(s) posted on this thread with a Naza in a Aquaquad...from the manufacturer I believe. I don't think they had GPS connected up though, just the Naza.

It just hit me last night. To hang a GoPro to the Aquaquad I was going to put a GoPro flat mount on the bottom center section of the quad. Oopsss...I don't think the 'legs' are tall enough to keep the mount off the ground when the GoPro is not mounted. I think it may need some sort of spacers on the legs to raise the quad a little. I'll have to test to verify, but... I'm thinking something like those slippery furniture movers (if I can find some small enough) might work to get a little extra ground clearance and still maintain the 'slideabibility' of the frame.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
When I launch my aquaquad with the gopro underneath I have to make a little "stand" out of available rocks or similar. I have used the longer gopro connector as well which means the gopro is hung even lower than if just into its normal mount. The other way i launch is to simply put the aquaquad in the water and lift off from there
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:49 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,942 Posts
Quote:
When I launch my aquaquad with the gopro underneath I have to make a little "stand" out of available rocks or similar. I have used the longer gopro connector as well which means the gopro is hung even lower than if just into its normal mount. The other way i launch is to simply put the aquaquad in the water and lift off from there
Thanks. I do realize the camera will hang well below the legs. What I was referring to was the flat, stick-on mount. I think the camera mount by itself will hit the ground before the quad's feet do. I could be wrong...have to verify after work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:50 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,974 Posts
The bottom of the feet and the base of the frame are the same height.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:58 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Yes the stick on gopro connector plate does sit lower so if you take off without the gopro underneath it does sit off level. its not much and i dont have any problems with take offs
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:55 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,031 Posts
I received my Aquacopter today - Looks like good quality - Little disappointed in the motor mount holes - All are slightly off. I have a couple different motors not sure which to try - I have some 2830 1300 kv motors or some 2218 800kv's - Anyone have any thoughts?

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Last edited by cdi3d; Nov 21, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:38 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Mike, I had to file the holes on the motor mounts to get them to fit. I tried motor mounts from 4 different motor makers but they were all slightly off. Im using the tiger motors you sold me ages ago, they are doing the job well. 2216's 800kv
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:06 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,942 Posts
Quote:
Yes the stick on gopro connector plate does sit lower so if you take off without the gopro underneath it does sit off level. its not much and i dont have any problems with take offs
Thanks. I'm more concerned about breaking the mounting plate because of it hitting/landing on a hard surface more that it just sitting a little crooked on the ground. I think I'll look around for some 'extenders' of some sort for the legs to gain a little extra ground clearance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Oct 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
I received my Aquacopter today - Looks like good quality - Little disappointed in the motor mount holes - All are slightly off. I have a couple different motors not sure which to try - I have some 2830 1300 kv motors or some 2218 800kv's - Anyone have any thoughts?

Mike
As previously mentioned earlier in the posts, It is very likely that the motor mounts you have may not fit. The mounting holes are taken from Turnigy 2830-11 mounts. One size mount had to be chosen as there isn't a simple "one size fits all" solution with this frame. The Turnigy was picked because it is an inexpensive motor that has worked well for us, and it keeps the cost down.

You might need to enlarge or modify the current mounts you have to fit. The other option would be to drill new holes and install your own inserts that align with your mounts, but I feel it is best to adapt to what is there. Again, I am posting a picture with the proper measurements for everyone to see.
AquaCopters is offline Find More Posts by AquaCopters