HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2014, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,298 Posts
Discussion
Can any scale be...well scale?

I often hear of rc pilots refer to themselves as 'scale' fliers, which as I understand it attempts to recreate or approximate as closely as possible the look and flight of a full size aircraft.

My question is; does an RC model need to be a certain size or scale of the original to do this? For example would you need a minimum of 1:8 or greater (obviously a larger/heavier model would be a closer approximation) size model to be considered scale or is any size valid?
nighthawk0077 is online now Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 08:36 PM
Joined Jan 2014
512 Posts
I know what my opinion is.....

Any size. Just fly it, so it resembles the flight characteristics of the aircraft it's duplicating. That means no instant (almost unlimited) vertical or hovering for most aircraft. Fly on the wing, instead of an abundance of power.

And, if a gyro device can make it more stable with wind gusts, then all the better. It doesn't have to look like the pure light weight it is.

FWIW, I have a background of RC, full size, full size experimentals, and warbirds. Thats why I think as I do.
L.A. is offline Find More Posts by L.A.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 03:22 PM
Joined Aug 2014
138 Posts
Roger what LA said. There is nothing more ridiculous looking then a golden age aircraft or a ww2 warbird flying at a scale speed of Mach 3 and climbing vertical until it is almost out of sight.

As you can tell, I have no interest in 3D. But that's just me.

Yuck.
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:54 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
688 Posts
That B-29 that did the inverted stuff (and crashed recently) falls into the ridiculous category also.
Not commenting on the man or the accident, just the fact that a full-scale B-29 doesn't do those kind of stunts.
My DC-3 may seem boring to some but I plan to take off, fly and land in a scale manner.
Hopefully no scale crashes....

ps: Scale can be ay size, unless you want to enter a "giant scale" event.
Martin5465 is online now Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:59 PM
Joined May 2013
31 Posts
I can agree mostly with what you guys have said. The scale behavior is definitely a must for most, but I don't see what is wrong with a 1/8 Hellcat screaming in at 80 mph and then climbing out of sight or something similar. Fast planes are fun! And besides for a plane like the hellcat to fly at scale speeds at 1/8 that would mean it would have a top speed of about 48 mph.
shinhoto is offline Find More Posts by shinhoto
Old Nov 17, 2014, 09:25 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
The term "scale" in model airplanes, etc. has two different meanings. When a model is described as 1/4 scale that means it is 1/4 the size of the full size or "real" or "full scale" aircraft, etc. The other usage describe a model's degree of resemblence to a real aircraft, i,e, "scale", "semi-scale", "stand off scale", museum scale, etc. I describe my scale model interior detailing as "folk art". The AMA and other national model associations have more specific scale model judging standards.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 17, 2014, 07:54 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
688 Posts
Shinhoto, that's not so bad considering that a Hellcat was a fighter in the first place.
I wouldn't want to see an aerobatic 747, for instance......

E-Challenged....I agree with your assessment.
Martin5465 is online now Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Nov 21, 2014, 04:21 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Let's not forget that a roll IS a scale maneuver for at least one jet airliner....

A R/C scale model can be any size from sub micro to giant. There is no minimum size for scale.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 21, 2014, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2014
165 Posts
Bombers can do full rolls but they dont because internal structure gets stressed hard.

1/4 scale ww2 fighters translate to about 100mph. 1/5 is around 80. Most larger foam craft actually fly pretty scale excluding vertical hovering. Scale takeoff for 1/4 is about 75feet just get the data from the real plane and divide by scale value fly inside that envelope if its your thing
JonCM is offline Find More Posts by JonCM
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:45 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
I dislike seeing an overpowered P-51 screaming by at what looks like Mach 2, Their top speed was 430 some mph and they usually cruised at around 250. Hate to see a J-3 Cub looking like it is going 200mph, they fly at 65mph or less . On the other hand, I'm a 75 year old "real airplane" lover, and was young once, and impressed by speed . Ever gone 90mph on an old Indian Chief ?
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 28, 2014, 01:26 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,988 Posts
I agree with much of what has gone above so won't repeat it too much.

First "scale" models can be of any size and though too many people only think of RC yet there are some superb F/F models right down to Peanut scale and smaller which are nice to see in flight.

As a person fortunate to have done a bit of judging during competitions I have a personal view about flying and speed. A precise scale speed is not necessary to impress me. What I want to see is an aircraft that "appears" to fly in a manner that the full size would have done under normal conditions. As an example I think it would be fair to say that a Lancaster or a DC 3 in normal flight would rarely be pulled round in a 90 degree tight turn during the approach for a landing. Likewise loops and rolls were not the norm for these even though Lancs were quite often rolled even during test flights.

I also don't want to see any fighter travelling at warp speed but a reasonably higher speed than normal prior to pulling up into a smooth barrel roll looks good and quite realistic.

Much of it comes down to smoothness. Full size aircraft are rarely wrenched around in a jerky manner because doing so could well exceed the stress limits of the airframe. Yes, there are exceptions to this with some modern aerobatic aircraft but even with these watch the guys in the Red Bull races where most of the time the smoothest flying pilots are also the fastest fliers.

If during flight with your model you can make the model appear to fly in a scale manner (even if it isn't quite right) most of the watchers will think it is.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Last edited by David Hipperson; Nov 28, 2014 at 01:32 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:14 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
"Much of it comes down to smoothness."

Therein lies the magic. Bank and yank, just don't hack it for any kind of scale representation.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Nov 29, 2014, 06:30 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,151 Posts
http://youtu.be/KY2BGYMAYxo?t=1m54s I love the Knife edge at 5:37
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Nov 29, 2014, 06:52 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCM View Post
Bombers can do full rolls but they dont because internal structure gets stressed hard.

1/4 scale ww2 fighters translate to about 100mph. 1/5 is around 80. Most larger foam craft actually fly pretty scale excluding vertical hovering. Scale takeoff for 1/4 is about 75feet just get the data from the real plane and divide by scale value fly inside that envelope if its your thing
I think you missed a zero in that takeoff distance. I only know of a handful of full scale airplanes that can takeoff in 300' that aren't ultralights.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Nov 29, 2014, 07:40 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,151 Posts
Scale speed is not proportional. http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/483000main_ModelingFlight.pdf
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Last edited by mrittinger; Nov 29, 2014 at 07:53 PM.