HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:11 PM
Joined Mar 2007
17 Posts
Discussion
Scaneagle engines

I ended up with a few engines from some Scaneagles. One is the generic 3w-28i 2 cycle engine that run off of C-10 and 50:1 oil. It has been in a wreck, one of the mounts is broken and a bolt hole on the exhaust flange was broken off. I should be able to repair them, no big deal.

The other two are the heavy fuel version with the Sonex HFE conversion on them with the glow plug. They are pretty complete but both are missing the carb. I read somewhere it was just the standard walbro/tillotson carb that was modified. Any idea what would have been modified for JP5? I am guessing mixture.

I have the ignition figured out as well as the engine board which turns out to be mostly a voltage regulator for the generator on the motor.

Scaneagle engine by macona, on Flickr
macona is offline Find More Posts by macona
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2014, 04:09 AM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,569 Posts
I suppose you got them through legitimate channels. Why don't you call Insitu for technical info?

/Dimitris
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
I suppose you got them through legitimate channels. Why don't you call Insitu for technical info?

/Dimitris
Oh, they are legitimate. The were scrapped. In general I don't like to call the end user on stuff like this, they washed their hands with them and they shouldn't have to deal with someone like me who wants to play with their refuse. I have no problem with contacting the actual manufacturers, some of them have been very helpful.

Just about everything in these things are generic COTS parts. I might contact 3W as looking at the engine a little more closely it appears the head is all one piece.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 08:23 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1 Posts
Super nifty catch ! why don't you just fit a regular 28i on it. What is heavy fuel anyway, is it available on the market, is it like fuel oil or what ?
jjdavidian is offline Find More Posts by jjdavidian
Old Nov 27, 2014, 09:17 PM
Australia, VIC, Mitcham
Joined Dec 2011
94 Posts
Heavy fuel is usually considered JP-5, JP-8 or Jet-A/Jet-A1. JP-8 and Jet-A are pretty much equivalents, whereas JP-5 is heavier and harder to burn, but is predominantly used by the US Navy and therefore pretty hard to get a hold of any.

The only reason these engines exist is to support the military single-fuel policy where equipment can operate on the same fuel to minimize logistics problems in the field. As far as the technical merits of heavy fuel engines, there aren't any. The fuel has a knock resistance something in the order of 20-30RON equivalent, even though the scale doesn't readily measure down that far!
Andy_RR is offline Find More Posts by Andy_RR
Old Dec 05, 2014, 04:45 AM
Joined Mar 2007
17 Posts
I did get a couple more of these engines with the carbs still on them so I have enough to piece together two, maybe three working engines. But I have been busy with other things so they kinda got put by the wayside.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 03:32 AM
Joined Jul 2008
2 Posts
You have a message
Munchies is offline Find More Posts by Munchies