HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:38 PM
United States, PA, Port Allegany
Joined Aug 2012
164 Posts
Discussion
Dynam Smart Trainer

What's anyone's thoughts on this new offering from Dynam ? The more I look at it the more I am thinking I like it. Here is a link http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8962-smart-arf.html
74charger is offline Find More Posts by 74charger
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:41 AM
OD123ify Snake
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Mar 2012
97 Posts
Trainer

I have been looking at this but im not sure.I wanted a pattern plane but for this price
I think this is the best bet

http://www.youtube.com/user/OD123ify/featured
Morodie is offline Find More Posts by Morodie
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:57 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
I'm ready for something a little different and this just might fill the bill. I've had about a dozen Dynam planes and they generally are very nice - especially for the modest price. Dynam foam is beautiful - much nicer looking than most E-Flite and other planes that cost way more. The Dynam electronics are average - usually serviceable but certainly not high quality.

Still..... I may order one today. ;-)
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:33 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
So is this plane modeled from an existing plane out there or did Dynam cook this up on their own? Also, is it a pattern or sport plane?

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:26 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
Good questions - and I don't know the answer. Dynam's packaging calls the plane "Smart" and not "Smart Trainer" as Nitroplanes has listed it. They seem to think anything with a high wing and tricycle gear is a "trainer" - which is very wrong.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
So is this plane modeled from an existing plane out there or did Dynam cook this up on their own? Also, is it a pattern or sport plane?

Kman
I couldn't find anything exactly like it, but it sure has the look of a pattern ship. although it's got a huge chunky fuze by the cockpit. When the guy opens it up it looks like half his arm could fit in there. The pilot figure is laughably out of scale, it almost looks like a Playschool toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Good questions - and I don't know the answer. Dynam's packaging calls the plane "Smart" and not "Smart Trainer" as Nitroplanes has listed it. They seem to think anything with a high wing and tricycle gear is a "trainer" - which is very wrong.
Agree completely. This thing doesn't look anything close to a trainer, and a 4 cell set up at that. Perhaps they meant Pattern trainer? The wing placement may make it a tad easier to fly, but it still looks like it can get up and go. Wish there were better pics of it. Ailerons don't look 3D like but I can't see completely clear.

Tell ya what, I'll grab some pics when it shows up at my house on the 25th. I couldn't resist. It looks to different for me to pass up, and for basically $150.00 delivered it's worth the chance.

The arf version is pretty reasonable at 139.00. I expected to see crazy high shipping but it was $22.00 which I felt was very reasonable at it's coming to the East Coast. I couldn't find a new discount code so I tried an oldy but goody and I'll be, it worked, so I got another 6% off. Within 3 hours of paying, I got a UPS tracking number.

As of now, I'm pretty impressed. It's been I think 2 years since I used them, and so far so good.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:27 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
There are more pics and info on the Dynam website...

http://dynam-rc.cn/Products_view_205.html

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Great, thanks. Odd sized rudder. Not 3D sized surfaces for sure, I'd say sport/pattern.

Still can't stop looking at that poor little pilot. Ha!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
164 Posts
There is a video of it here
Smart Trainer - Dynam (2 min 5 sec)
Looks more like a pattern trainer to me I just like the size of it and have been happy with the Dynam peaks. Hope someone from RCG gets a hands on review of it up.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:18 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
Ok, that did it. I've had this thing sitting in my cart all day at NP trying to decide. I got the reasonable $22 shipping also. The last plane I bought from them a couple of weeks ago was a ridiculous $37 shipping.

porcia83's post, the pictures and the video pushed me over the edge - mine's on order also. Who's going to start a thread on this quirky looking critter?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:59 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
I think its a fusion between a pattern ship fues and a mid wing trainer.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
great vid. interesting to see the prop hanging clips, gotta be hard with that tiny rudder. Wonder if there was a gyro on that baby! My final hope is that the stickers are not already on there....hate em. I think the wings are partially painted yellow, which is fine, but I like to tacky up my birds myself.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
164 Posts
On the NP video it shows the stickers on a separate sheet
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:51 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
A friend pointed out the similarities between this plane and the World Models LA Flyer and LA Racer. Not exact, but maybe an inspiration for the Smart?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Yup, sure could be.

So my plane was boxed and shipped within 4 hours of paying. So far that beats any of the other big box vendors (although Motion was pretty close on my last plane). Should be here in about a week.