SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:01 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,437 Posts
If you set your plane up in Heli mode you can use the throttle hold feature, easier than replacing switches.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:43 PM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,504 Posts
I just did this mod. on both of my DX6i tonight. Work great. Bought a pair of SPST mini toggle switch from Radio Shack # 275-0634. I turn mine sideways so I would not have to cut the screw post off that the button switch was mounted to. I position the switch so the throttle is cut off in the 4 o'clock position, and on in the 10 o'clock position. Just remember to go into your memory and act. the throttle cut switch for all ten model.

Name: DSCN2990.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 205.9 KB
Description: Here the twins. Name: DSCN2991.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 217.1 KB
Description: Throttle in the off position. Name: DSCN2989.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 220.2 KB
Description: Throttle in the on position.
kid at 55 is online now Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:42 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
I just did this mod. on both of my DX6i tonight. Work great. Bought a pair of SPST mini toggle switch from Radio Shack # 275-0634. I turn mine sideways so I would not have to cut the screw post off that the button switch was mounted to. I position the switch so the throttle is cut off in the 4 o'clock position, and on in the 10 o'clock position. Just remember to go into your memory and act. the throttle cut switch for all ten model.

Attachment 5483285 Attachment 5483287 Attachment 5483296
nice work 55
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
My $75 FlySky TH9X has throttle cut.
I use it on all my planes.
rickthebrewer is offline Find More Posts by rickthebrewer
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:17 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthebrewer View Post
My $75 FlySky TH9X has throttle cut.
I use it on all my planes.
Throttle cut as in momentary off, or throttle hold as in turn it off and it stays off?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:11 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
Throttle cut as in momentary off, or throttle hold as in turn it off and it stays off?
My turnigy9x $65 TX has a throttle hold toggle .. So im confused why spectrum didn't see a need for one on there WAY more expensive TX ? Heck even the cheap dynam TX that comes with the hawksky has one ! And to those that say to just be careful ? That is a bad excuse for not having this safety device on the DX6i , never had the strap hit the throttle stick ?? phtttt !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:03 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
My turnigy9x $65 TX has a throttle hold toggle .. So im confused why spectrum didn't see a need for one on there WAY more expensive TX ? Heck even the cheap dynam TX that comes with the hawksky has one ! And to those that say to just be careful ? That is a bad excuse for not having this safety device on the DX6i , never had the strap hit the throttle stick ?? phtttt !
Also a warning for those who fly close to children and over people. Yes you are an expert and in control but you never know when these things can happen. Some people only realize when they themselves get injured.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:18 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
951 Posts
I used my DX6i first with helicopters. In heli mode the Throttle Hold switch keeps the power off. In ARCO mode, it does not work. That seemed weird to me and I never get an explantion why T/H works in heli mode but not ARCO mode.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:38 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
I used my DX6i first with helicopters. In heli mode the Throttle Hold switch keeps the power off. In ARCO mode, it does not work. That seemed weird to me and I never get an explantion why T/H works in heli mode but not ARCO mode.
I think whoever wrote the programming for the DX6i was thinking electric for helis and glow for airplanes because the throttle cut works fine with IC engines.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:03 PM
Foam Wrecker
United States, NY, West Babylon
Joined May 2012
118 Posts
No need for a grinder and/or tilting the switch (unless you like it like that). The screw mounts snap right off with a pair of pliers or probably just about any snipping tool. The 634 switch from Rat Shack then goes right in.
voidmix is offline Find More Posts by voidmix
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:25 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post

Attachment 5483285 Attachment 5483287 Attachment 5483296
Just did mine. Actually the screw posts can be easily snapped off by a nose plier. Just grab it and it breaks off without damaging the main body. It is really really simple to do and recommend for all with dx6i Tx. Thanks for the excellent tips.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:50 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,988 Posts
rcmaverick,
No insults intended but the answer is not in flaws with the DX6i or any other transmitter it sits squarely with the operator. I have been flying rc since the early seventies and electric flight since 1989 and the only two incidents (accidents) have been my own fault once with a PAW 80 diesel where I got one finger in the way and the other was in a careless launch on a pusher electric.

No matter what the manufacturers do unsually one of us will circumvent any "safety" system or item installed. Electrics are a real problem as they can start instantly, props are usually sharper than IC props and they do not stall like IC engines. This means that we, the operator, have to be extra vigilant and always think one step ahead.

I apologise if my comments just sound as if comming from smart a..........e as I don't mean it that way but too many fliers I know simply don't treat models with the same respect they might to a circular saw and yet the results from an accident with either are not that dissimilar. Even a 7" prop running off 3S can inflict a serious bit of damage.

I use a DX6i, 7S, Futaba and a Multiplex Cockpit. The Cockpit has an excellent primary safety in that it will not transmit the throttle signal without first pulling the throttle to low followed by switching on the primary control button. However neither this nor your modification work quite as well as breaking the power system within the model itself. I say this because although the transmitter is safe the model can still be "live' once the pack is connected.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Last edited by David Hipperson; Jan 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:36 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post

I use a DX6i, 7S, Futaba and a Multiplex Cockpit. The Cockpit has an excellent primary safety in that it will not transmit the throttle signal without first pulling the throttle to low followed by switching on the primary control button. However neither this nor your modification work quite as well as breaking the power system within the model itself. I say this because although the transmitter is safe the model can still be "live' once the pack is connected.
No I think I will disagree a good well designed Tx should have features that gives the operator "some control" to offer a reasonable level of safety. As someone else also said other TX s have these features.

I think most ESC s have these features where the power to the motor is cut unless you first bring it to the zero position.

There are no failsafe foolproof system but to me this throttle control switch gives me peace of mind.

Yes but I have to get into the habit of flicking this switch when the model is stationary. And that is not so hard to do. For example hand brakes in a car. Something that is second nature.

That is my opinion anyway
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:09 PM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
I have to agree with Eflightray and David Hipperson here. Coming from an internal combustion background, you simply DO NOT put your fingers in the path of the prop. In my opinion and what I am reading on various forums, starting in the hobby with electric powered planes it seems that people tend to get a different complacency about the engine and yet it can and will bite, sometimes with serious results. Expecting the transmitter or even the speed controller to keep you safe is a gamble at best. When the battery is connected you should treat your engine like it is running. That's where coming from a gas background makes this easier to do.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:46 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
951 Posts
Still wondering why the Throttle Hold switch cuts the throttle signal in heli mode but not ARCO mode on the DX6i. Really curious why they they wrote the software that way. Is there a good reason?
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr