HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:46 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
With normal upright flying I tend to always use the nose as my guide no matter which direction I'm flying.

However, inverted is a mixed bag. In backwards inverted flight I tend to look at the tail with it as the "front", elevator as "normal" and aileron reversed. Then when flying forwards inverted I use the nose as the "front" with aileron normal and elevator reversed. I haven't even gotten to sideways inverted because I can barely do forwards inverted.

I think either my upright or inverted flying visualization is "wrong" in the sense that it's not letting my brain learn every orientation in the same manner. I experimented some with always using the nose when inverted and that really mixed up my brain, mainly because I had already learned using the above technique.

I need to pick a single consistent method but I would like to know what pros use since that will prevent me from learning in a way that will make future progression difficult.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:34 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
Would anyone be intrested in a inverted training rig?
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:07 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
>> I think either my upright or inverted flying visualization is "wrong"

don't think too much, but spend more time with the sim
All the rational thought is just a temporary crutch until the reflexes are developed.
When driving a car you don't think "hmmm I'm about to hit that lantern post on the right so I have to turn the wheel counter-clockwise".
The same goes with helis.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:19 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Reflexes true, but you're still using visual cues. After your reflexes develop you just don't notice what you're doing. Just like with any physical skill there are often many "wrong" ways to train those reflexes and developing bad habits can limit your ultimate skill level.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:00 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
don't worry ... the pieces will fall into place, eventually.
I think learning a wrong technique for actual movements is something different. If that worries you, make sure you're flying pinch, not thumbs

Most people find tail-in inverted harder than nose-in, for example.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:18 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jun 2011
152 Posts
Since Up is expensive...

Any scratch built plane that flies good inverted ?
radhav is offline Find More Posts by radhav