HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Casey_S, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:39 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2011
96 Posts
Trader Rating: 16
Wanted
KK2.0 - For a good cause

Recently, Sid3ways was gracious enough to donate quadcopter equipment to my robotics club (thanks again dude, the mentor of the club is trying to figure out a way he can write this up as a tax cut for you). It's been assembled for about two weeks, but we're stuck on the Naze flight controller. The extremely scarce amount of documentation has really been killing us - we have all the proper equipment and a FrSky setup for CPPM but it's just not working, and we can't find any possible answers as to why.

I can tell the members are starting to get a little fed up and are losing interest in the copter, and I can't let that happen. So I'm looking for a KK2 LCD to swap out the Naze with. It seems like it'd be the perfect drop-in FC for a club copter. I'll most likely be paying for it out of my own pocket, so if I have to I'll just order it direct from Hobby King but considering how long this has already taken I'd rather not have to make the club wait through HK's slow shipping.

PM me if you have any on-hand.

http://piercerobotics.com/
Casey_S is offline Find More Posts by Casey_S
Last edited by Casey_S; Nov 17, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:46 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Trader Rating: 30
You can get them in the U.S. from here got to pay a little more
http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayprod...ler%2FMultiWii
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:02 AM
I'm New
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2012
719 Posts
Trader Rating: 48
do you want a copter control board?
unfaix is offline Find More Posts by unfaix
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
96 Posts
An OPCC? Depends on the price I guess. Might not be the best choice for a first FC for the club but I suppose it has much more longterm potential.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:15 AM
I'm New
Joined Mar 2012
719 Posts
yeah I know, I am wondering what they want to achieve.

having fun flying, or having fun learning how flight controller and PID contribute to a fun flying machine, then flying.

You know?

Like if the Naze32 looses the members' interest, then I could only think that, the problem is connecting the controller to pc, change some PID then test, then to pc again, then test, etc.

And going to the KK2 with the buttons and lcd built in would allow more flight time, with less pc involved but still have to configure.

Otherwise, I dont know of any controller that's super simple other than dji
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:15 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
What FrSky receiver are you using? Are you sure you have one with CPPM out? Only a few of them do.

If you are sure it does, and your wiring is correct then its as simple as below.

Connect to the Naze using a serial terminal (i like realterm) at 115200 baud.

Then execute the following commands.

# <send> (enters CLI mode)
mixer quadx <send> (sets mixer to X mode)
feature ppm <send> (enables CPPM)
save <send> (saves changes and reboots)

After that, download the Multiwii GUI for version 2.1. Connect to the port it is connected to. Watch the radio channel bars to the right as you move your sticks, they should move. If not, check your wiring again.

That should literally be all that is needed. Then you can make sure your motors are spinning the right directions, and is responding to sticks properly. Leave props OFF for all this.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Mar 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfaix View Post
yeah I know, I am wondering what they want to achieve.

having fun flying, or having fun learning how flight controller and PID contribute to a fun flying machine, then flying.

You know?

Like if the Naze32 looses the members' interest, then I could only think that, the problem is connecting the controller to pc, change some PID then test, then to pc again, then test, etc.

And going to the KK2 with the buttons and lcd built in would allow more flight time, with less pc involved but still have to configure.

Otherwise, I dont know of any controller that's super simple other than dji
An OPCC would be better as an educational tool, which I'm sure the executive board would prefer. Actually, that is probably a good idea. An OPCC would make the copter an ongoing educational project whose results we can see in the real world, and its user friendly interface makes it approachable. The KK2 would make it more of a toy we'd probably lose interest in eventually anyway.

Again, depends on the price though. I can rationalize all I want but in the end cash is king, and ours is in another castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
What FrSky receiver are you using? Are you sure you have one with CPPM out? Only a few of them do.

If you are sure it does, and your wiring is correct then its as simple as below.

Connect to the Naze using a serial terminal (i like realterm) at 115200 baud.

Then execute the following commands.

# <send> (enters CLI mode)
mixer quadx <send> (sets mixer to X mode)
feature ppm <send> (enables CPPM)
save <send> (saves changes and reboots)

After that, download the Multiwii GUI for version 2.1. Connect to the port it is connected to. Watch the radio channel bars to the right as you move your sticks, they should move. If not, check your wiring again.

That should literally be all that is needed. Then you can make sure your motors are spinning the right directions, and is responding to sticks properly. Leave props OFF for all this.
We're using a D8R-II Plus flashed with the D8R-XP's latest firmware essentially turning it into one. I've tested it myself, the CPPM is fully functional.

As far as connecting to the Naze, we don't have the proper equipment. The closest thing we have to that would be the FUC-3 FrSky serial cable for upgrading firmware which didn't seem to work.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States
Joined Dec 2010
221 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
Since it's a club and non-profit (right?) all you guys have to do is give whoever donates something a receipt saying they donated whatever it is and the value with the name of your club and the donors name. Then the donor will have documentation in case he get's audited.
wingspinner is offline Find More Posts by wingspinner
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_S View Post
We're using a D8R-II Plus flashed with the D8R-XP's latest firmware essentially turning it into one. I've tested it myself, the CPPM is fully functional.

As far as connecting to the Naze32, we don't have the proper equipment. The closest thing we have to that would be the FUC-3 FrSky serial cable for upgrading firmware which didn't seem to work.
All you need to connect to the Naze32 is a USB mini cable, nothing special required. Im certain somebody has one of those!!!!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:23 PM
I'm New
Joined Mar 2012
719 Posts
and configuring the naze32 couldnt be any easier, you got option of using the comman line, gui from pc or android.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
USA, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Sep 2008
130 Posts
Trader Rating: 87
Hello
I have an I86 from HK it does not get any simpler to set-up
set the switches and go fly. I used it then went to the Naze32
Let me know if interested. Thanks
Clavin01 is online now Find More Posts by Clavin01
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
All you need to connect to the Naze32 is a USB mini cable, nothing special required. Im certain somebody has one of those!!!!
Maybe they're using an 8-bit Naze and not the Naze32?
kauaicuda is offline Find More Posts by kauaicuda
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
USA, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Sep 2008
130 Posts
Trader Rating: 87
yes I noticed that in the original Post, he said naze
not naze 32
Clavin01 is online now Find More Posts by Clavin01
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:23 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,815 Posts
Trader Rating: 63
Have you thought about a multiwii?

I dont know what all your requirements are in an FC or for your club goals, but here you can get one as low as $19, and for a little more even get GPS and sensor addon capability.

I have the FLIP controller and it is great, although I just fly it around, no sensors or GPS.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...ntrollers.html
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:25 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Have you thought about a multiwii?

I dont know what all your requirements are in an FC or for your club goals, but here you can get one as low as $19, and for a little more even get GPS and sensor addon capability.

I have the FLIP controller and it is great, although I just fly it around, no sensors or GPS.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...ntrollers.html
Thats essentially what he has!!!!