SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2014, 02:20 PM
AMA 415
United States, CT, Granby
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Another CT group of pilots that like to fly combat? We have a large group that fly at NCRCC that have "formal" combat days as well as the usual chasing one another around!

Most of us are flying the (shameless plug here) Sawn Craft Mana-Tee or similar combat aircraft on power systems like you've described.

If your group wants to get together to have a big combat sortie shoot me a PM and we can get things setup!

-Jonathan
Sawn Craft is offline Find More Posts by Sawn Craft
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:01 PM
lgs
Larry
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2001
57 Posts
Hey Larry.

Your Turnigy is too big in my opinion. The T-motor would be the better choice. We found ours somewhat under powered using the recommended Turnigy LD2816A 1350kv so a little extra motor might be fun. We also ended up adding nose weight which means your T-Motor might balance her at 55mm without adding any extra weight. Here's the motor we used compared to yours...

T-Motor AS2208 1260kv
weight: 38g
ESC: 20a

Thanks Nodd,

So with my 2208-15 and 20 amp ESC, Can you recommend a prop?
lgs is offline Find More Posts by lgs
Old Oct 21, 2014, 06:06 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgs View Post
...So with my 2208-15 and 20 amp ESC, Can you recommend a prop?...
If I were to guess I'd say somewhere around an 8 x 4.7" prop but you should run the numbers through eCalc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawn Craft View Post
...If your group wants to get together to have a big combat sortie shoot me a PM and we can get things setup!...
That's good to hear Jonathan, we're not the only combat nuts in CT. We are not all that formal in our combat. Once in a while someone at the field will yell "COMBAT!" & those with streamer equipped planes drop what they're doing & we have a fur-ball for 10 minutes. Lots of fun but no score keeping other than rubbing-it- in when we get a kill. We're kinda rusty right now, has been over a year since we last flew combat. We're currently gearing up for another round flying something similar to your Mana-Tee. I'll talk to the guys & see if they're interested in a Battle-Royal.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Oct 24, 2014, 05:27 PM
lgs
Larry
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2001
57 Posts
Test flights I'M HOOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgs View Post
Hey Larry.

Your Turnigy is too big in my opinion. The T-motor would be the better choice. We found ours somewhat under powered using the recommended Turnigy LD2816A 1350kv so a little extra motor might be fun. We also ended up adding nose weight which means your T-Motor might balance her at 55mm without adding any extra weight. Here's the motor we used compared to yours...
T-Motor AS2208 1260kv
weight: 38g
ESC: 20a

First of all, "I AM HOOKED" What a fun little plane!

With the AS-2206 and Nanotech 3s1300 the CG came up right at the front of the wing servo notch. The 8x4.7 gave me more trust that I need but with 3/4 power I got 5 minute flights is 20% left in the tank. AUW is 450 gr.

Using a soldering iron I cut a clean notch on the wing bottom and added 1/8 CF tube. I was planing on using one piece but there is about 1 1/2 inch dihedral so I cut it like the factory did. Wing is plenty stiff.

Looks like the Techone P51 is the only other plane in this line, am I missing any?

Thanks Nord for the support on this post!
lgs is offline Find More Posts by lgs
Old Oct 24, 2014, 08:04 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
Glad to hear she's flying. Yeah I'm betting that's fun with the bigger motor, always nice to have plenty of go when you need it.

Yes I recall there was a P51 that seemed similar, might be fun to talk a buddy into getting one. Stick some streamers on em & reenact some WWII mayhem... fun fun.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd