SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:46 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
Stab and elevators

The stab was quite straight forward and easy to build. But there was one major fault with it and that is that the part SR 1 which is the center rib was not cut in half like the diagram explained this left me in quite a dilemma as to what to do, after a sip on my beer i got the "Cascade" courage and slice the rib in half problem solved. I then fitted the rib's over the ply working out from the center one rib at a time each time sliding the aft stab brace over the newly fitted rib so as to make sure that each rib was centered and in the right alignment with the next. After I installed all the ribs I then glued the aft stab brace in place this also needed to be laminated with a 2nd layer of which was a piece of cut ply, This real stiffen the trailing edge ready for the elevators and EMP hinges with 2 mm CF rod for the hinge.

The elevators were not so easy to build as there was no template or bracing to lock it all together instead you only have the ribs that slide over the cut ply to stiffen it up and no way of making sure that you have the center's just rite. After a messy start I did come up with an idea that made it easier but you had to work quickly, This was to glue all the rib on at once and then place packing on the under side of the elevator in between the rib so that none of the rib were touching the building board then you run a straight edge (S,ST ruler in my case) over the ply pressing down while rubbing it back and forwards so as to straighten the ply out and hopefully have it come out straight and level. Well it worked and I am happy with the result but maybe if Sparc laser cutting (Maker of the kit) could laser cut one template so that it would hold everything in place it would make it easier to keep it all true and centered for the build and you could reuse it for both sides.

If anyone has any tip or input into the build please add your comments as I am one who is all ways wanting to learn.

Cheers.
Ganno
Ganno is offline Find More Posts by Ganno
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:23 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,296 Posts
Looking great.

Cheers
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:35 PM
build nutter
Australia, ACT, Tuggeranong
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Looking Good

Hi Ganno

This build is coming along great.

Have you modified the fuselage to take the extra fuel load we were discussing for your choice of engine. If not - hold off as I may be able to point to you another option. Also while talking about engine mounting and fuel tanks, have you worked out the location for your throttle servo yet I am trying to get all the stuff neatly into the fuselage before I start on the wings.

As for the oleo legs I think I have seen something on HK that might work with a little modification

KD
KoalaDave is offline Find More Posts by KoalaDave
Old Oct 20, 2013, 07:49 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
G'day all,
Sorry for the long time no talk but i have been tied up doing other things and have not had time do anything to the Wirraway, but this weekend i found some time and got it down off the top shelf and started by joining some .05mm balsa sheets together in preparation for sheeting of the wings also i started joining the ribs to the ply sheet so as to make the ailerons as these have to be hindged in place before sheeting photos will follow soon.
Kola Dave has been in touch with me letting me know of a gas conversion for the Saito R-3 120 that i am using for this aircraft and i have been in touch with the seller for this conversion so watch this space for future update in that area.

Cheers for now,
Ganno
Last edited by Ganno; Oct 21, 2013 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Adding photos
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:16 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
395 Posts
Looking good mate.

I noticed that Sparc Aero has gone. Looks like you'll be part of a small club owning one of these then haha.
NOI53Y is offline Find More Posts by NOI53Y
Old Oct 22, 2013, 06:38 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
LOL NOI53Y,

Yes I have not been able to find any web pages linking to Sparc Aero which is a shame because they cut very nice kits and i was thinking about buying two other WWII short kits from them. Hopefully someone will pick up the cad program's and start selling them again.

Ganno
Old Jan 07, 2014, 06:08 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
Walkabout

G'day,
Sorry for the long break but I have been a bit distracted of late with holidays, work, family ect. So lets just say that I have been on a "walkabout" OZ'y slang for gone missing for some time with no real reason why.
Well I have finished all the steps that were on the CD for the laptop and found myself in an area of not knowing what to do next with my lack of knowlage and a fear of not wanting to stuff this project up I must say I pondered over the next step for some time.
I thought that the wing wound be a major turning point of this project and that ever thing hinged on that being done first so I started with gluing a piece of semi-hard balsa along the leading edge and then sheeted the upper side of the centre section so as to see if the fuse would sit nicely on top of the wing but in doing so I got carried away with the wing and started on the landing gear covers that are part of the leading edge, After hollowing them out to fit the wheels then shaping the external to fit the under sided of the fuse I did not even think of have the two sections together and did not think if the wheel housing needed to be raised or not to fit the fuse but once the sections were joined I found that the shape of the housing needed to be raised so as to lap over the top of the wing slightly and that it was now to low and it had left a gap .
Next step: Make other side higher so as to not have any gap between the fuse and the wing.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:56 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
The Fuse

Things are slowly moving

Over the weekend I continued working on sheeting the upper side of the wing out to R1 which the wing tip attaches to. I then started to fit a little more of the Fuse by gluing the stringers into the pre cut notches on each frame down one side making sure all frames were straight and in line then doing the same to the other side.
The first couple of stringers I had cut I made them to small as I was not thinking far enough ahead by this I mean that I cut my balsa only thick enough so as to bring it out level with the frame but when I got to the bottom (last one) I realised that the stringers should of pertrueded out past the frames some 3mm and that the covering material was not to be glued to the frame at all, I soon checked this on my plans that I had bought separately and it was confirmed (to small).
I then added a thin layer of ply to the underside of the frames that were going to be resting against the top of the center wing so as to distribute the loading and to make a hard edge ready for when it comes time to sheet the fuse in that area.
I also faired the horizontal stab ready for the .08 balsa sheet to be applied.
I am thinking that I am have to buy 2 aileron servos soon and installing them before I sheet the under side, The plans that come on CD with the kit recommends Hitec HS425-BB. I am sure that they are a great servo but I am a person that likes to do things the best way possible and with the best equipment so I am using Futuba on this project (and all my others) but am not quite sure what servo to use but I would like to use the s-bus system if possible. If someone could help me in this area I would be most great-full.

Cheers,
Ganno
Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:28 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,906 Posts
Subscribed! Cool plane and very nice build. Keep up the great work.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Feb 03, 2014, 07:14 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
335 Posts
Saw the real thing flying at the Rathmines Catalina Festival. The best flying I've ever seen, it was poetry in motion.
Phil U is offline Find More Posts by Phil U
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:32 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
715 Posts
Hi there Ganno,
This plane is on my bucket list of things to build - my grandfather trained in one, and im attempting to build each plane he flew in WWII. I noticed sparclaser is now no longer, but found this kit - is this the same as yours? http://www.lasercutkits.com.au/produ...-short-kit-ab/
Cheers
Sandy
shoey is offline Find More Posts by shoey