HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Hi Gentle Ben

Both are working in static tests armed fine and with an 8x6 APC prop at full throttle wants to tear my arm out of it's socket.

Setting up the wing is all that's left to do. I might get to maiden her some time this week.

Anyone change the wheels out? I can't get the plastic keepers off

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, TN, Harrogate
Joined Aug 2006
28 Posts
Hello, first Id like to thank everyone on this site for all the info I have found it to be very helpfull as a totally new beginner. But I need some advice, I bought the ares gamma its my first plane and I have flew and crashed it 6 or 7 times already after the first 5 times I new I was getting disoriented so I thought a sim would help with just the orientation so I bought the clearview not having a lot of extra money and have been practicing with it and for the muscle memory I think it has helped but going from it back to the plane i noticed that my plane when I try to turn I move the stick a little and sometimes it doesnt respond much but then I move it just a little more and it turns or elevates too much I do have all the control horns set to the farthest notch so they have the max deflection, does anyone think it would help to move them a notch down or so? Also I mostly nose dive when I crash getting nervous and cutting power and have broke the motor mount a couple of times, I have the brushless setup should I go ahead and just install that before flying again? I also love changing things and saw the mod someone did on the stock wing cutting the ailerons and flaps out and I would much like to do that I bought a extra wing and all the 4 servos and such to do that and think I could do the mods with the help of the pictures they posted but should I try to fly more with the stock rudder before trying the ailerons? Also on my last crash I was using the orange gws prop and it was not balanced - not out bad but not perfect was wondering how important that it is and what would be a better prop? Because I fly off rough grass the only field I have available I switched out my stock tires for the 2.5 inch dubro light weight. The plastic keepers do pull off but they are glued pretty solid had to work them slowly with needle nose plyers but was able to get them off pretty much intact cut them a little shorter and glue them back on to hold the new dubro's also had to slightly open the hole in dubros to fit the landing gear wire the wire was just a bit larger in diameter. I still need to adjust this a little as I had them turning fairly easy, but I guess after the glue dried well they bound up just a little but it does seem to work better off grass just still needs some fine tuning. Anyway Id love to have the plane in the air more than 10 seconds anyway which has been about my longest flight so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
jknuth is offline Find More Posts by jknuth
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:00 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
983 Posts
Hopefully this will clear up the control horn issue:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293948
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Last edited by gentle ben; Dec 09, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, TN, Harrogate
Joined Aug 2006
28 Posts
Hey Gentle Ben Thanks for the link That did help, I had it backwards in my mind so I reset the links closer in. The delay in the stock motor was kinda messing with me so I did go ahead and install the brushless set up since my mount was broke anyway. Maybe having the stronger motor will help get me out of trouble, I am probably too light on the throttle anyway but dont want it to get going too fast either, but the turning has been more of a problem so hopefully with the links adjusted better and more practice, I will have longer flight times. I know Im gonna enjoy flying the first 5 crashes I still had fun but now the crashes are getting old and Id like to have longer flights. Thanks for your help
jknuth is offline Find More Posts by jknuth
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
She's all finished ready to go
Last edited by Blusaber; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:12 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
983 Posts
Blusaber,

In the words of somebody here "show us the video" . I will however, settle out of court for a good description.

gentle ben
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Battery under wing, balance is perfect

Gary
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:29 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusaber View Post
Hi Gentle Ben

Both are working in static tests armed fine and with an 8x6 APC prop at full throttle wants to tear my arm out of it's socket.

Setting up the wing is all that's left to do. I might get to maiden her some time this week.

Anyone change the wheels out? I can't get the plastic keepers off

Gary
I changed out the stock wheels with 2 inch Dubros.
I had some brass sleeves that worked as bushings and I oh-so-carefully used JB Weld to fix them on. That took 4 tries but I finally got it work and they have stayed on for over 80 flights.
Today was a rainy day so I decided to strengthen the landing gear. I wanted to do as little modifications as possible. I bent a spare control rod into shape and attached it into a small groove in 1/8th inch luaun plywood, a couple of tiny straps, and recessed wood bolts so that I could bolt it through the fuselage and then finally a good dab of gorilla glue for strength. Seems pretty strong but forgiving at the same time. Hopefully sometime this week I'll be able to try them out.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknuth View Post
Maybe having the stronger motor will help get me out of trouble, I am probably too light on the throttle anyway but dont want it to get going too fast either, but the turning has been more of a problem so hopefully with the links adjusted better and more practice, I will have longer flight times. I know Im gonna enjoy flying the first 5 crashes I still had fun but now the crashes are getting old and Id like to have longer flights. Thanks for your help
Jknuth,
Be careful, speed is not your friend when trying to learn.
The brushless motor is more than twice as fast as the stock motor and will get you into orientation problems just that much faster.
The best setup for the control horns for a first time flyer like you is: control rods closest to the center on the servo and farthest out from the root on the controlhorns.
It is deceiving, but an airplane like the Gamma needs very little deflection in the control surfaces to fly well.
If you are indeed going to go brushless then Stay with a 2s battery. That will help.
When you get in the air try to gain altitude so that you can have some space to make mistakes (3 mistakes high, as they say).
Go to the beginning training area here on the forums.
http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...ft-electric-8/
You'll learn a lot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Testing video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=mhee&v=sBPndmQsAb8

Hope this works

Guess it worked....there ya go Ben

I'll video the maiden

Gary
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,505 Posts
Quote:
Battery under wing, balance is perfect

Gary
Very interesting.
I insert my batteries through the battery hatch underneath so that I don't have to take the wing off every time I change the battery.
I did tape a quarter coin under the elevator to get the CG right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Very interesting.
I insert my batteries through the battery hatch underneath so that I don't have to take the wing off every time I change the battery.
I did tape a quarter coin under the elevator to get the CG right.
I wasn't doing well getting it in there with the 4mm banana plugs they take up a lot of room. So taking the wing off seem an easy option for me. I need to take a break between batts any way

Gary
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Props

Hey guys

Anyone using a larger prop than the 8x6 with the brushless motor?

I like a little slower and quieter flight so I like to prop up but this is my first experience with such a high kv motor I'm using 3s 1300 30 and 40c batts.

Will I pull to many amps with a 9x4.7?

Checking a similar motor on Headuprc, using their charts seems like I would be ok.

Does anyone know the max amp rating for the Ares brushless motor that would be good to know there isn't any specs on their site that I can find

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Gary
Last edited by Blusaber; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,505 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys

Anyone using a larger prop than the 8x6 with the brushless motor?

I like a little slower and quieter flight so I like to prop up but this is my first experience with such a high kv motor I'm using 3s 1300 30 and 40c batts.

Will I pull to many amps with a 9x4.7?

Checking a similar motor on Headuprc, using their charts seems like I would be ok.

Does anyone know the max amp rating for the Ares brushless motor that would be good to know there isn't any specs on their site that I can find

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Gary
Try a 2s battery. Kinder, gentler flights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:08 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
983 Posts
Blusaber,

Sorry but I can't seem to open up the video. When I use your name Gary the last video that was uploaded that I can view was 2 months ago.

Gentle Ben