HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Discussion
LaStick with TD .020 Video

I built this plane nearly 5 years ago and flew it a ton with a TD .010 for power. After a couple of trips to SMALL with that configuration, it returned this year with a much more robust TD .020 up front. I was inspired to move up to the "big block" after seeing hfenn's Little Stick perform so well the last time I was there. She's so much faster now and flies with good authority. Rudder rolls and big loops are a blast.

LaStick RC Plane with Cox TD .020 (2 min 7 sec)
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:58 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
578 Posts
Wow! It's a rocket ship with that engine.
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Jun 2008
840 Posts
Rocket indeed. Pound for pound I think the TD.020 is one of the most powerful engines ive owned.
Corelli is offline Find More Posts by Corelli
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,584 Posts
That is pretty neat.
These little suckers were great as RC planes.
I flew several over the years. I still have the damaged remains of my last one still.
I have a original unopened ACE RC kit of the Littlest Stick still, but after seeing what some of them are selling for on Ebay, I decided to not break it open and build it.
I noticed that Hobby King is selling a interesting Stick ARF clone that looks very promising for glow engine conversion. They have it as both a kit and a ARF too. I bought one but I haven't done anything with it yet. I still need to refurbish a .020 engine and get it to work good first.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...ervo_ARF_.html
and
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...arehouse_.html
and
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...80mm_ARF_.html
and here is the kit for it too
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...80mm_KIT_.html
A pic of it

My poor old retired ACE RC Littlest Stick dates from circa 1991

My new kit too

I forgot that I still had this Radical RC Micro Stick built up for electric power. But it came out heavier than I liked though, plus the shrink covering came out bad on it. I need to recover it and make it more light.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jun 13, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
At the SMALL event a couple of weeks ago a guy had one of those new kits for $15. He had one framed up for $20. When he saw all my 1/2A glow planes, he tried to sell them to me. "You really need one of these.". I then showed him my flight-ready, battle weary scratchbuilt one and he backed off the hard sell. Now I wish I had picked up the kit. Oh well.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,243 Posts
Fill your Boots
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,143 Posts
Thanks for the plan Bare. I've got a Pee Wee that's looking for a plane.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Those are the plans I used to build the plane in the video. Stiks of all sizes fly well.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:37 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,243 Posts
thought as much ..although I have 'another' stick plan. Should anyone need it.
Personally I prefer to cut my own kit parts. This allows me to choose the wood density quality.. I... deem appropriate.
Worst IMO are laser cut bits. those are usually really soft wood (consistent and easiest for the laser to cut) which is great for weight and little else.. exact opposite end of the same problem (inappropriate wood) with the old Die Crunched kits.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined May 2006
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
thought as much ..although I have 'another' stick plan. Should anyone need it.
Personally I prefer to cut my own kit parts. This allows me to choose the wood density quality.. I... deem appropriate.
Worst IMO are laser cut bits. those are usually really soft wood (consistent and easiest for the laser to cut) which is great for weight and little else.. exact opposite end of the same problem (inappropriate wood) with the old Die Crunched kits.
Thanks for the offering!
It would be nice to look at it and try it as well, me too have one of those little monster engines preserved from the glory days of balsa planes!

Doug
aeromechanic1 is offline Find More Posts by aeromechanic1
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
I had built one from those plans, awhile ago. I sold it not long ago. It flew so good I had to build another one.
The first one I built as electric, and then switched it to a Cox .020. I liked it better as electric. It had better perfomance & throttle control, less hasle, and cleaner. Just my choice.

This one I made a few changes, I built the wing flat and bolt on, moved the fin/rudder split for more rudder, and added tapper to the ailerons and elevator, and added many lighting holes in the tail end, and it's electric again.

I had it all built and I asked the wife to decide how/what color I should make it. she said that she wanted it trans purple (I already have a hot orange bipe stik, a hot red DNU stik, and my other one was trans red), and I put white on the bottom of the wing and stab.
I got it all done, and showed it to her and she asked "Why did you put those crsses on it?" Gulp! I said because thats what stiks usualy have. She Said "Not on this one" so thats why it has bears on it instead of the crosses.

As soon as I can get some more props, I'll fly it. I go through props, because I fly on grass in my backyard, and can't use landing gear on small planes. They flip every time.

Pat
Toysareforkids is offline Find More Posts by Toysareforkids
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:56 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,243 Posts
Nice clean builds.. well done. Despite the 'bears' :-)
What electric motor /prop/bat ?
You've gotten my attention, as my local park is too 'iffy' for the wail of a Cox
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Thanks Bare,
My first one I used a EFlite BL 250 motor, and a Hyperion 2s 320mah 25c battery. First I used a gws black prop 503 and then a gws EP 605 prop. I don't remember the differance any more, but the EP 605 broke easier.

On this plane I bought a Turnigy 2211 motor, and the same Hyperion batt. but have not flown it yet. No props left. I will be getting both the black 503, and black 605 props.

I fly the same BL250 & batt on my CannonShot bipe, and it goes straight up without hesitation.

But I have had problems with two of the motors, with the wires breaking, along with some other people. And at $30.00 mail order, and $40.00 lhs, thats not worth it. The Turnigy 2211 is about the same motor and only $10.00 from HK

Heres a picture of it naked, before covering it. The top of the front is a hatch for the battery.

Pat
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Your stiks look very nice, Pat. What was the covering material?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Thanks Tee Bee,
The trans red & white trim one is all monokote.
The trans purple is Ultra cote and the white on it is monokote.
The neon orange bipe & neon red DNU are also monokote.

Pat