SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:10 AM
You can call me Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
573 Posts
Ah, that's cool. Those shims even have the proper radius to follow the profile of the grip.

Speaking of grips, the HK tail grips are machined a little tight, the thrust bearings don't want to drop into place without heavy persuasion.

Taking the head apart now, the caged thrust ball bearings were inserted backwards on both sides. And the feathering shaft bolts were installed with red loctite. I'm heating up the 80w soldering iron right now to get one of them out.

And one blade grip on the head would barely turn. Need to figure that out.
pdooley is offline Find More Posts by pdooley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2014, 03:45 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Another ebay special. You made the right call by stripping and rebuilding it though

Endolf
Endolf is offline Find More Posts by Endolf
Old Dec 17, 2014, 04:06 PM
You can call me Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
573 Posts
Finished the rotor head. There was so much loctite on one FS bolt that the washer fused to the bottom of the bolt head. I also discovered double stacked shims on the radial bearings on both sides. This may have caused my binding problem. There was also a little wavy washer loose inside the rotor hub, not sure where it lodged but it's out now. Greased the dry thrust bearings and reassembled.
I must admit the bearings in the head are a lot better than the tail. In fact the head is very smooth now with the above mentioned fixes.

extra shims and the rogue mini wavy washer:
Old Dec 18, 2014, 01:40 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley View Post
Ah, that's cool. Those shims even have the proper radius to follow the profile of the grip.

Speaking of grips, the HK tail grips are machined a little tight, the thrust bearings don't want to drop into place without heavy persuasion.
The V2 Align tail grips (triple bearing) and KDS Innova tail grips are like that too. Use a heat gun on the grip first and it will drop right in. The outer washer doesn't need this just the inner one. The outer washer is about 0.1mm smaller in diameter in order to rotate freely without touching the side of the grip while the inner washer has a slightly larger hole in the center and will rotate with the grip while not touching the spindle.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:04 PM
You can call me Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
573 Posts
good info, thanks.
So the inner washer of the thrust bearing assembly rotates with the grip while the outer washer(hopefully) stays fixed with the bolt head.
Actually that inner thrust washer being tight in the grip is a benefit since the grips only have one radial bearing for support.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 01:12 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
KDS Innova tail grips are like that too. .
Mine were and are still fine on my KDS550 V2. Silky smooth and an all round very well behaved tail.
Paul 1968 is online now Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Dec 18, 2014, 09:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley View Post
good info, thanks.
So the inner washer of the thrust bearing assembly rotates with the grip while the outer washer(hopefully) stays fixed with the bolt head.
Actually that inner thrust washer being tight in the grip is a benefit since the grips only have one radial bearing for support.
Yes that is exactly right.

Most thrust bearings have one washer with a larger hole and outside diameter and one with a smaller hole and outside diameter but there are exceptions. The thrust bearings that came with my RJX Xtreme 600's tail grips have the same outside diameter on both washers, though the inner one still has the larger hole. The plastic tail grips are molded so that the outer thrust washer doesn't touch the side of the grip. I discovered this when I tried to use a spare set of RJX thrust bearings in a set of KDS tail grips and got a nasty wag caused the the grips binding under load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
Mine were and are still fine on my KDS550 V2. Silky smooth and an all round very well behaved tail.
Yes they work fine, that side of the thrust bearing is supposed to rotate with the grip. A heat gun will simplify installation of the lower thrust washer.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull