HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:08 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Thanks for the tip about Callie Graphics. I have now contacted them; sent my .jpg decal files, and the price quoted was very reasonable. Can't wait!
Bo43 is offline Find More Posts by Bo43
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:33 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo43 View Post
Thanks for the tip about Callie Graphics. I have now contacted them; sent my .jpg decal files, and the price quoted was very reasonable. Can't wait!
She did my Catalina. It took about seven days from email to them arriving at my house in the UK, cant fault her.

Here are some pics.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Sep 2007
20 Posts
Spray chines.

Just fitted spray chines to hull forward section, glassing to follow. Motors mounted and flaps in progress.
mustangwally is offline Find More Posts by mustangwally
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jan 2011
278 Posts
Hey guys,
Just wanted to know if this is a EPO foam or EPS? I was just surfing through the thread quick and could did not see what the foam is. Sorry if I missed it thanks. This model looks sweet!

Matt
MPS86 is offline Find More Posts by MPS86
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:30 PM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Adding landing gear to CL-415

If I attach the landing gear to where it should be (see attachment), this is just about exactly where the centre of gravity of the plane should be; can't have the plane sitting back on its rear! Anyone overcome this problem? One would have to push the C of G far forward to overcome this, but then surely the CL415 will get a tendency to dive.
By the way, you may ask where is the livery? I've removed it, and am awaiting the French one from Callie Graphics (Securite Civile).
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:38 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,322 Posts
Quote:
If I attach the landing gear to where it should be (see attachment), this is just about exactly where the centre of gravity of the plane should be; can't have the plane sitting back on its rear! Anyone overcome this problem? One would have to push the C of G far forward to overcome this, but then surely the CL415 will get a tendency to dive.
By the way, you may ask where is the livery? I've removed it, and am awaiting the French one from Callie Graphics (Securite Civile).
Just from you pic it looks as though the wheels are at about 50% of the wing, this should be fine as the CoG should be between 25%-40% on this straight wing. As long as its in front of the wheel it will sit fine, it doesnt need to be miles in front though as that can lead to a plane being hard to rotate on take off. That said these foam lightweights are usually over powered and will jump off the deck/water no problem.

Dave
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Yeah,
That's true.

The CG of mine is dead on the (forward) plywood spar, which I think is in front of the wheel space. Are those retractable wheels you're putting on. Wouldn't mine seeing some close ups, though if I add anything else, it'll struggle into the air!

Luke
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:27 PM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
After all I've read in this thread about where the C of G should be, I am confused, so as a beginner, will use the 70mm in the "instructions". If it is too far forward, better a bit nose heavy.
N, the wheels are not retractable, and I've decided (10 minutes ago) to solely use the 'boat' facility, ie no landing gear, reducing any possibilities of leaks when using on water.
Still, the position I showed is where the wheels should be (landing gear hatch) which is dangerously close to the C of G, I think a design error.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,322 Posts
Quote:
After all I've read in this thread about where the C of G should be, I am confused, so as a beginner, will use the 70mm in the "instructions". If it is too far forward, better a bit nose heavy.
N, the wheels are not retractable, and I've decided (10 minutes ago) to solely use the 'boat' facility, ie no landing gear, reducing any possibilities of leaks when using on water.
Still, the position I showed is where the wheels should be (landing gear hatch) which is dangerously close to the C of G, I think a design error.
the CoG and the wheels are often very close together, have a look at some full size aircraft parked, they instal a 'pogo' stick under the tail to stop the plane falling onto its tail, here its a Saab 340,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sa...rChurchill.JPG
as I said if you put the wheels too far back it becomes a problem or even impossible rotating for take off. The extreme case is the B52 which has 2 sets of wheels at the nose and towards the tail way behind the CoG(to allow the bomb bay to be at the CoG) when they take off they dont rotate they rise into the airfrom all wheels at once, so no not a design error.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B-...ss_Takeoff.jpg
Dave
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:21 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Thanks all of you.
Another question on wiring (I aim to put the ESC in the fuselage!):
Is it bad practice to put both the motor wires and the servo wires in the SAME channel cut into the foam of the wing? What do you fellas do?
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:47 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Thanks all of you.
Another question on wiring (I aim to put the ESC in the fuselage!):
Is it bad practice to put both the motor wires and the servo wires in the SAME channel cut into the foam of the wing? What do you fellas do?
the best position is in the engine pod just behind the firewall, this keeps the 3 ESC to motor wires as short as posible. All advice seems to say that long ESC to motor wires are to be avoided. Not sure about putting servo wires in with the 3 motor wires, the pulsing may cause interference, hopefuly someone will jump in with more experience.

Dave
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,861 Posts
dav3uk

I belive you have it incorrect, the wires between the ESC and
battery's must be kept short the wires from the esc to motors
can be longer with no problems. Per Castle creations .

I have several twins and a couple of 4 engine electric model
all have esc' in fuse with on problems .

But on the other hand I see My Dyham dc-/c47 is the oppsite
very long power wires and very short esc to motor wires.
so good question who's correct

the most Important thing with sea planes is to waterproof
the esc's ,because even a few drops of water on an esc
can fry them .
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
It's always a discussion matter, but after a lot of trawling, the consensus seems to have short battery to ESC wires, and ESC to motor length is not a problem. I have my ESCs in the fuselage and they are fine. Braid the cables from the ESC to the motors if you are running them with or near the servo cables.

If you do put the ESC in the nacelle (waterproofing???), the consensus is to use extra caps in the ESCs, same ratings.

Luke
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:44 PM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Thanks both of you.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:55 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1 View Post
dav3uk

I belive you have it incorrect, the wires between the ESC and
battery's must be kept short the wires from the esc to motors
can be longer with no problems. Per Castle creations .

I have several twins and a couple of 4 engine electric model
all have esc' in fuse with on problems .

But on the other hand I see My Dyham dc-/c47 is the oppsite
very long power wires and very short esc to motor wires.
so good question who's correct

the most Important thing with sea planes is to waterproof
the esc's ,because even a few drops of water on an esc
can fry them .
Hi all my multi engine models have the ESC in the engine bay, one being over 400mm from the lipo in the Fus' all work fine so as you say who knows what is 'right'. On the waterproofing side my Catalina suffered water in the ESC for the first few flights the symptom was just not arming at all, dried them out and worked fine, some have used 'Corrosion X' to good effect but I went down the mor traditional, old fashioned route and just put the ESC's into party balloons. I cut the end off a balloon rolled it onto the ESC (heat shrink was already removed to dry them out) a spot of silicone gunk around the wires and then a cable/zip tie to keep it all watertight. Its now done well over 100 flights with no problems at all, I will use this method again.

Dave