HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:41 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
There is such a slow discharge of the battery when used like this that it should not need to be balanced. Like the others have said, just charge through the switch jack or main power lead.

How much weight do you need? Any battery you put in will need to be charged at some point during a full day of competition.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:46 PM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
I purchased 3-4 Rhino 360mah lipo packs from Hobby-King for less than $5 each. They are EXACTLY the same size as those RCBUILDER.com lipos I've seen some guys using. I bet the source is the same.

I love the lipo stuff. But I bought a charger long ago for the other crap I'm flying.

I like to see how much charge goes back in after a day of flying. Helps me know health condition of a battery.
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:04 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Looks like it might be time to do another group buy on switchjacks. How many of you would be interested in something like this?
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:25 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecirque View Post
I purchased 3-4 Rhino 360mah lipo packs from Hobby-King for less than $5 each...
I'm using those same exact Rhino 360's as well.
The ZIPPY Flightmax 350mAh 2S 20C is also similar, for only $2.87 from HK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Looks like it might be time to do another group buy on switchjacks. How many of you would be interested in something like this?
Dang, I just ordered some a couple weeks ago...
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:42 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
824 Posts
Quote:
Any battery you put in will need to be charged at some point during a full day of competition.
Hmm... I dunno. We're using 4 AAA 100 mhA Nicd batteries in the longshots, and they last FOREVER.. Bet they'd be good for a full day! Also, was I correct? You CAN NOT charge thru the switchjack with anything other than a Lipo charger (normal cheapy JR TX/RX charger won't work)?
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:55 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
Hmm... I dunno. We're using 4 AAA 100 mhA Nicd batteries in the longshots, and they last FOREVER.. Bet they'd be good for a full day!
are they really 100mAh or 1000mAH or 1100mAH? Those are not typical DLG batteries, are they? If you need the weight up front then sure, that's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace
Also, was I correct? You CAN NOT charge thru the switchjack with anything other than a Lipo charger (normal cheapy JR TX/RX charger won't work)?
Correct, you need to supply the correct voltage. Do you have a lipo charger that doesn't have to have the balance leads to charge with?
Old Feb 03, 2011, 04:00 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,781 Posts
Alex, I said you cannot use a normal NiCd charger through the switch jack or otherwise. You must only use a LiPo type charger to avoid over charging the pack. I also said that periodically you may need to check the balance of the cells but it seems like that will be a small problem or not needed...

We will need to find you a battery that has maximum capacity for the size and weight available including the lead weight...
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Feb 03, 2011, 04:04 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Utah, planet earth
Joined Mar 2009
824 Posts
Quote:
are they really 100mAh or 1000mAH or 1100mAH? Those are not typical DLG batteries, are they? If you need the weight up front then sure, that's all good.
Correct, you need to supply the correct voltage. Do you have a lipo charger that doesn't have to have the balance leads to charge with?
They're 1000mAH (boy I've been mixing up all sorts of letters), We bought them from Walgreens, just normal AAA rechargables, then we solder them into a 4 pack. I think a 3 pack would fit into the nose of the Vandal. Seriously, we don't even top them off before flying. We just fly on them for a few days, then charge them when they're dead, and they take a WHILE to kill.

Is there a HUGE advantage, other than the need of topping off a charge, for LiPo? Seems LiPo's advantage is they give more endurance for weight. I just don't see a reason not to use Nimh, other than it's not as new of tech.

I'm sure AD has a charger that'll work, I'm just thinking of convenience.
Extremeace is offline Find More Posts by Extremeace
Old Feb 03, 2011, 04:04 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,131 Posts
Quote:
I could use 2 of them.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:17 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
...Is there a HUGE advantage, other than the need of topping off a charge, for LiPo?...
LiPo's are just lighter. But if you need the nose weight then it makes sense to go to something heavier with more capacity. NiMH or LiPo, it doesn't matter. I would actually prefer the NiMH chemistry if everything else was equal. But I do like the way LiPo holds a charge over time.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:38 PM
What was I looking for??
Harrisville Utah
Joined Nov 2007
166 Posts
Quote:
I will take 3 if we decide to do it.
Big Weed is offline Find More Posts by Big Weed
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:54 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
I might be in on a switchjack order as well... Maybe?
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:20 PM
Joined May 2010
20 Posts
People fly DLG here?!

I moved to Logan from the Seattle area a few years ago. Maybe it's time to dust off my SGII?

BTW.... where can I guy get some 60psi foam around here?

-Michael
rollinsrus is offline Find More Posts by rollinsrus
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:11 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinsrus View Post
I moved to Logan from the Seattle area a few years ago. Maybe it's time to dust off my SGII?

BTW.... where can I guy get some 60psi foam around here?

-Michael
Welcome to the group Michael! Yes, we fly DLG but it's a recent undertaking for most of us. Dust off the SGII and join us for the Red Rock F3K Challenge next month in St. George (March 19th-20th).

Not sure where you'd pick up 60psi foam.

-Jim
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:16 PM
Cottonwood Heights
Joined Jul 2005
168 Posts
Wanna sell your SG II? ;0).
thecirque is offline Find More Posts by thecirque