HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:16 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Discussion
Vizio 19" HD Lcd Monitor

I thought I would start a new thread on the Vizio 19" Monitor available from Target on-line and Target's retail stores.

http://www.target.com/VIZIO-Class-72.../dp/B003DV93LU

They told me that they have a 90day return policy, so you could give it a test ride, and if you don't like it. just return.

VIZIO 19" Class 720p 60Hz LED LCD HDTV - Black (M190MV)
Currently $198.00

I am not sure who original suggested it but it was a great find.

12V DC input.
Static on loss of video. (no blue screen so far)
AV IN

I flew with it today and works great. Direct sunlight makes it pretty hard to see. I have made a sunshade out of 3/16" black foam core from the local craft store that really help. There's plenty of brightness and contrast adjustment. Just started to play with these settings. So far so good.

Electronic Functions: Computer Monitor
Maximum Resolution: 1366 x 768
Vertical Resolution: 720p
Contrast Ratio: 20000:1
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen
Tuner Type: ATSC/NTSC/QAM
Brightness(cd/m2): 250
Response Time: 5ms Response Time
Audio Features: SRS TruVolume, SRS TruSurround HD
Comb Filter Type: 3D Y/C Digital
HD Compatibility: HD-Built-In HDTV/ATSC Tuner
Speakers: 2 Bottom Fixed
Input Type(s): RF Antenna Input, PC, HDMI Port, USB 2.0, S-Video, 1 Component Video , 1 Composite Video , 1 S-Video , 1 PC , 2 HDMI
Output Type(s): Headphone Jack, S/PDIF, 1 Optical Digital Audio
Includes: Power Cord, Detachable Base Stand, User Manual, Universal Remote Control, Quick Start Guide, Remote Control Batteries, Warranty Card
Finish: Glossy
Dimensions: Length: 13.23 "; Width: 18.32 "; Depth: 7.25 "
Product Weight: 5.88 Lb.
Warranty Description: 1 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty on

Know Issue:

I know of several who have reported of problems when used in close proximity to your LR UHF TX's.

Problem:
When UHF TX is held in close promitity to the Vizio 19" TV, the on screen menu pops up and changes the video input that was originally selected(AV) to something else. This changed screen to static, rendering monitor useless at this point. The only way I could get back to the AV input was to repower the TV and select "AV" as the input.

Possible solution:
Unplug switch module on lower left front portion of TV:
Remove stand and all screws from back of TV. Start with a small screw driver and pry the two plastic case halves apart, starting at the bottom of TV. There is also some double sided tape holding the halves together. You just need to pry apart far enough to access the area just behind the switch area. There is a small white 3-4 conductor plug that is attached to the switch circuit board that needs to unplugged.
After unplugging this plug from the circuit board, TV is then controlled by remote.

After disconnecting the switch circuit board I could not get my LR TX to change the video input or make any noticeable interference. Furter testing needs to be completed but so far so good.
Its a quick fix with no soldering or cutting, give it a try.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Last edited by vertcnc; Mar 08, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:30 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
I use the LCD 19" Vizio TV for FPV, works great, I have noticed that analog video on these 720p LCD Tvs is not as clear as I would like.. its better than the Magnavox 19" LCD TV I was using.. The 12 volt power is a plus..
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:31 PM
Central Connecticut
Joined Jan 2010
416 Posts
Product URL here:

http://www.target.com/VIZIO-Class-72.../dp/B003DV93LU

(Just copy and paste a raw URL into the forum and it will get all the [url] stuff automatically, no need to try to get the forum syntax right and risk breaking the link.)

Can the TV stand itself be removed? I want to know if it will fit within one of my travel cases or not.
HariEdo is offline Find More Posts by HariEdo
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:37 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Hariedo,
The stand actually is not installed out of the box. It just has a threaded hole on the bottom to attach the stand. It also has the 4 hole square bolt pattern center back for the common brackets used to suspend monitors.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:16 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,113 Posts
I've been using mine for a few months now with great success! I discovered them back in May and I'm still very happy with it! After having lots of annoying little issues with goggles (dead pixels, b/w occasionally when not on the other monitor, etc etc) , I've decided I just want a nice big LCD screen for FPV. I tried a few flights with my little 7 inch monitor on my base station, and I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked out. I decided the Craig wasn't quite even as big as I wanted, if I was going to do it, I'm gonna do it right! So, the hunt for a nice 12 volt monitor began.

I went through every option I could find online, looked at a few made for car video installs and RV applications, and in the end I just got fed up with my options and went to Target. I went back to the electronics dept. and turned around every TV I thought may work, and my suspicion was correct, there were 2 on the shelf that had an external 12 volt power supply! One was a VIZIO 19 inch LED LCD TV, and was rated at only 3amps! (most I found in this size used more like 70 watts/ ~5 amps @12 volts) I decided to go for it largely based on the fact I could take it back easily if it gave me issues (namely I was worried about the blue screen issues).

Upon getting it home I was very happy to find it will show ALL the static from my FPV plane In fact, if I turn off the vtx entirely it will show "snow" for about 3 seconds before going to blue, and the moment I plug in the power to the vtx it starts to show the image even as the camera is still powering up! I was very happy to also find it only pulls 1.5 amps in actual use with a 12 volt (3s lipo) battery, and the screen works with no problem down to 10.5 volts. When the voltage gets too low its starts to flicker for a while before it actually shuts down. I was able to mount it into an old case I had with 4mm screws and spacers.

Absolutely no problems with showing any static, hasn't done anything funny yet. I just sat it in the back of my car and its bright enough to fly with sunglasses on! I can see so much more than my goggles...
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:17 PM
CQ CQ DX RC
Pahrump, NV
Joined Nov 2008
691 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread.
We can report back to the Craig thread later once we
know how this Vizio does over time.
Any one have a first hand comparison on brightness
in strong light between the Craig and the Vizio?

Thanks again....

-P
w7mag is offline Find More Posts by w7mag
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:02 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
so there goes idea of buying goggles. For the one pair I can have now two TVs.
Great :-))
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:03 AM
CQ CQ DX RC
Pahrump, NV
Joined Nov 2008
691 Posts
One for each eye!
(Although the head bracket may be a bit uncomfortable but you'd get used to it.)
w7mag is offline Find More Posts by w7mag
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:16 AM
I direct Josh and Josh
Navarre, OH
Joined May 2010
800 Posts

I built my FPV ground station using the Vizio montior. I have been very happy with it!
stonekap is offline Find More Posts by stonekap
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:16 AM
USA, MA, Arlington
Joined Jun 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HariEdo View Post
Can the TV stand itself be removed? I want to know if it will fit within one of my travel cases or not.
Actually, one of the nice features is that the stand can be easily attached/detached with one screw, without tools. So you could possibly go between different uses.
--Jim
BostonJim is offline Find More Posts by BostonJim
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:32 AM
USA, MA, Arlington
Joined Jun 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekap View Post
I built my FPV ground station using the Vizio montior. I have been very happy with it!
So you burn a DVD for every flight? Interesting idea. That would save moving a lot of files around.
--Jim
Old Sep 06, 2010, 05:08 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,682 Posts
The local Target wanted $219 for the Vizeo. Seems Target doesn't honor their online prices.
I did some more research and found it at Sams Club online for $178 for members. I'll get it in about a week.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...052&navAction=

Nice ground station stonekap. I was wondering what I might use to mount the 19" monitor.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Last edited by MorrisM; Sep 06, 2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:06 AM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Anyone know of a good suitcase style case that is about 18.5" wide that this will fit in.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:00 AM
USA, MA, Arlington
Joined Jun 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM View Post
Nice ground station stonekap. I was wondering what I might use to mount the 19" monitor.
Page 9 in the manual says: Wall Mounting Specifications:
Screw size: M4 x 10
Screw length: 10 mm
Screw Pitch: .7 mm
Hole Pattern: VESA standard 100 x 100 mm spacing.
(In other words, the spacing is a square 100 mm on each side.)

Presumably you could find standard mounts in this size, use a piece of plywood (etc.), or just drill holes in the case.

Now if anyone can figure out how to do a quick release....
--Jim
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:16 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekap View Post

fantastic!

Here's what I came up with
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron