HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2010, 12:01 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
Question
Easiest colors to see on a glider

What is your favorite colors to put on a glider? What is the easiest to see or what color doesn't disappear in the sky? Dark colors go black in the sky, while white and yellow seem to showup . Just curious as to what is the most popular colors.
Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2010, 02:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
13 Posts
My first plane (a Gentle Lady) that I put together was red with yellow on the underside of the wings. Worked really well, if all I saw was yellow then I new I was banking away from me.
That plane is long gone, My new GL is red with blue under the wings, I had a bunch of red and blue covering. Just finished it a couple of weeks ago.

TF
theflyingfin is offline Find More Posts by theflyingfin
Old Apr 08, 2010, 02:30 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
Something light (white/yellow) on top, something dark (black, purple) underneath. This accentuates the natural tendancy for the top to be lit and the bottom to be in shadow.

Red works great for either top or bottom.

Note also that different colors will blend into cloud cover than will blend with blue sky, so it's good to have a contrast pattern of some sort either way. A black wing underside with white servo covers is easier to see than just plain black- but the pattern needs to be very low resolution (GIANT spots, or WIDE stripes) to prevent it from blending into a single muddy color when it's a long way off.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Apr 08, 2010, 02:31 PM
Occasionally here
Joined Jun 2006
159 Posts
I have seen some good discussions on this. Check the links but I have seen more in-depth discussions but can’t locate. Regis
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=colors

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=colors
regis is offline Find More Posts by regis
Old Apr 08, 2010, 02:37 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
model aircraft colours

I recall that there was a study presented a number of years ago that indicated that Dark Blue was the most visable colour for the underside of model aircraft.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Apr 08, 2010, 06:57 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Red is the is the most contrasting color. Then dark blue. Purple works too. I like dark blue. 90% of my wings have it on them. I also put spectrum reflecting tape on the trailing edges and the fin. That will give you a diamond effect of glittering when the sun hits it.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2010, 08:43 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
The best colors are the ones YOU SEE BEST.

Red on top, black on bottom (for me, YMMV).

There have got to be 10's to 100's of threads on this topic.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Apr 08, 2010, 09:52 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
my colors of choice... white on top & fire down below
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Apr 08, 2010, 10:27 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Lubos color choices added to them mix!

One effect not discussed and I did not find in any thread was translucent lime green fluro top and yellow stripes with bright reflective red bottom skin.
When the sun light penetrates the top section its back lights the red and it really stands out (Carbon D-Tube version only). This was on a F3J Victor!!!! I've not seen this effect in any other plane!!! Akin to a brightly lit red lamp - even when spec'd out still very visible.

Next in line is fluro yellow orange (with blue stripes) contrasted to dark navy blue bottom. Better than white when in Cums which just dissapears at certain angles thermalling.

For what it's worth!!!!!!
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Last edited by jgs99v; Apr 08, 2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Added images and notation
Old Apr 09, 2010, 02:21 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,871 Posts
I use gold trim film on my verticles, fin, rudder and flat fuse side's if possible. When I'm in thermal and of course if the sun's out I get this photo flash sort of reflection, it work's really good for me. Sadly Top Flite doesn't make it anymore, so every time I go to a new to me hobby shop, I snap up what I can afford.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2010, 05:57 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,491 Posts
Sometimes when I come in low, and I have trees and such as a background.....I have a hard time seeing the plane as it comes directly towards me.
I can however, see the rudder.

On my DLGs, seeing the light wood colored rudder, really helps me keep the plane on target.

My vote for rudder color is a light, natural wood look.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Apr 09, 2010, 06:30 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
I use gold trim film on my verticles, fin, rudder and flat fuse side's if possible. When I'm in thermal and of course if the sun's out I get this photo flash sort of reflection, it work's really good for me. Sadly Top Flite doesn't make it anymore, so every time I go to a new to me hobby shop, I snap up what I can afford.
What glue do you use to get it on?

If you can't get your trim film, "google bird scare tape" Cheap, strong metallic tape.

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Apr 09, 2010, 08:53 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,702 Posts
Remember, the farther away your airplane is, the less able you are to distinguish colors. Something that contrasts with the light blue of the sky is best. Light colored underside is a sure fire way to lose sight of it!
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Apr 09, 2010, 06:43 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
Remember, the farther away your airplane is, the less able you are to distinguish colors. Something that contrasts with the light blue of the sky is best. Light colored underside is a sure fire way to lose sight of it!
This must be true could so many say the same thing here, but the glider looks almost black to me when it is so high, and since it is the underside that we look at, I have always thought a say, light yellow would be the pick?

Tell you what does work well on built up wings is an almost transparent white covering. This allows the sunlight from the top side of the wing to pass through to the underside. It looks bright & white

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:13 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
This must be true could so many say the same thing here, but the glider looks almost black to me when it is so high, and since it is the underside that we look at, I have always thought a say, light yellow would be the pick?

Tell you what does work well on built up wings is an almost transparent white covering. This allows the sunlight from the top side of the wing to pass through to the underside. It looks bright & white

Kev
Even though they are almost on opposite sides of a color wheel, and you might think they would contrast well, light yellow against light blue would be very difficult to see at a distance. Remember, we're talking about being up very high, nearly specke'd out. A dark underside will allow you to keep it in sight higher than you would be able with a light underside.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring