HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:49 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1 Posts
Discussion
Newbie: Little $, less knowledge

I'm just getting going. Playing with a simulator so far. If I jump in, I'd like to come as close to $250 investment as possible... Pretty tight.

Considering getting a Sukhoi 3D EPP foamie from Grayson, and a 7C Futaba Tx from ebay... I want to spend as little as I can, for something I can live with for a long time. I think I'll mostly enjoy 3D, Park & yard flying.

Q's: stock motor boasts a 2:1 power ratio. Is that good, great, what? Worth upgrading?

I would assume spending some money on several good batteries would massively increase the enjoyment factor, no? They mention a 11.1v 3s Lion comes with.

In the videos, the body of the plane has a cross-member of foam, in the photos it really doesn't look like that's there. Anyone know why that is? Anyone have this plane or experience with it? Any other suggestions?

Other useful info for a newbie? Thanks!

Keith
keithwins is offline Find More Posts by keithwins
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:57 AM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwins
I'm just getting going. Playing with a simulator so far. If I jump in, I'd like to come as close to $250 investment as possible... Pretty tight.

Considering getting a Sukhoi 3D EPP foamie from Grayson, and a 7C Futaba Tx from ebay... I want to spend as little as I can, for something I can live with for a long time. I think I'll mostly enjoy 3D, Park & yard flying.

Q's: stock motor boasts a 2:1 power ratio. Is that good, great, what? Worth upgrading?

I would assume spending some money on several good batteries would massively increase the enjoyment factor, no? They mention a 11.1v 3s Lion comes with.

In the videos, the body of the plane has a cross-member of foam, in the photos it really doesn't look like that's there. Anyone know why that is? Anyone have this plane or experience with it? Any other suggestions?

Other useful info for a newbie? Thanks!

Keith

not sure but im thinking you will have more fun with a molded foamie like a multiplex easystar or a prakzone plane. for my experience with these type you get it once and unless u destroy it in a crash your flying for a t least a few years without anything else but believe me once u get one you'll beaddicted and looking for more.you have NO previous experience? what sim do you have? sims are great for total beginners for training on orientation and basic flying maneuvers but there is no substitute for real flying in real world conditions. simulated winds are a lot easier to handle than real winds. when u maiden wait for no wind and near perfect conditions. it may feel like your going to explode when you've got that beautiful piece of work on your table and not out flying but it will be worth the wait because u wont go from a $200+ plane to a pile of foam and electronics.

as far as actually getting your first plane i would recommend a high quality foamie.it may seem like a lot but the difference between a toy and a hobby quality aircraft is the difference between crashing and leaving the hobby for a while and crashing and having no damage or damage that can be fixed with some glue/tape and be flying again.

o and as far as pure profile foamies ive never had one but as far as i know u cant fly in wind at all.
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla