HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:24 PM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
Flysky FS-T6 - My review

I've flown RC off and on for some 41 years now.My father and I built my first radio from an old Heath kit and rotary dial telephone.
I have flown Futaba for ever and have many FM radios.
Wanting to update and upgrade a bit, I began looking for a "less expensive" radio with similar features to Futaba as far as computer programming and setup goes. That led me to Flysky.

I received my Flysky FS-T6 radio and receiver (6channel) about two months ago.
The box was easy enough to set up and looked as though it would work well in my flat 3D foamie.After installing the radio and a few (close and tight) flights, the box worked well and the plane flew solid lines.A few other friends with their radios in hand came and stood around me and the box controls remained solid.
One quirk I did notice is this... Duel Rates... for whatever reason, My low rates are set low and my high rates are set for full deflection for 3D.When switching between high and low rates, It changes my trim settings and I have to retrim for the different high/low settings.The closer my duel rates are to each other the less of an issue this problem is. Set your low rates to a small throw and your high rates to full and see what you get when flying.This may be a quirk with this box only.All appeared well otherwise and my confidence grew in this box.
I purchased a second Flysky 6 channel receiver and installed it in my Giles-202. The plane flew as it should and responded well to the stick inputs.(Most of my 3D and pattern flying is in somewhat close proximity to the transmitter.)I started shooting some approaches just for practice as my time on this plane is limited. I was flying a crosswind base leg and preparing to turn for finale when I lost all contact with the airplane.As a reflex I got the box raised over my head right away and regained control just long enough to shallow my glide path when I lost all control again.The plane impacted the ground fast and hard and collapsed or other wise pancaked my landing gear.It was about 100 yards away.
Of coarse, as I approached the plane with radio in hand to investigate, I could see I had again regained full control of the plane (of course). The plane survived but I was bummed to say the least and my confidence in this box went to near zero.
Last week I decided to try again with my foamie and the Flysky radio.The foamie flew well and after chatting with some of the guys on the field, I felt better about my investment in Flysky and possibly trying the radio in another plane.
I decided to pull one of my retired planes off the ceiling and let it live again. I choose my Chipmunk for the venture and installed the Flysky receiver. The plane flew well for being hangered for almost 8 years. The private field I was at was small and landings were hot and fast with a quick drop onto the field.In hind site I recall now that flying there is also what I would consider some close to the transmitter flying.All went well and my confidence again grew in this box.
This last week I decided to build a Monolog that I've had laying around.
I installed a nearly brand new Scorpion 1000kv motor on a 3 cell- 3000mah battery and 90 amp speed control. Yes, far more power than I need but I like it that way.
I installed the receiver from the Chipmunk and headed to the field this morning with a few different planes to fly.
So comes the time to send the Monolog up for her maiden flight.
After a good ground check (or so I felt) of a couple of hundred feet, I ran some ground runs to get the feeling of the plane on the runway.All went as planned and the plane responded to the controls as expected.
I should add that on this plane I used radio mixing on my ailerons and on the ground it works well.
I headed into the wind and sent her up. Right away the plane took to flying on rails and stick control felt good.I did a few relatively close pattern circles and trimmed for level flight. All felt good and I started to shoot my first landing approach ever with this plane.Again, on my base leg at about 400 feet out, i lost all contact with the plane.This time the plane impacted the ground hard and destroyed the plane and the motor.
A most amazing and first for me was the tremendous amount of smoke from the battery fire that ensued. It was actually the best thing about the flight to see.It was amazing for about 6 minutes.
It was a disappointing morning to say the least and now my confidence and recommendation for Flysky has again gone to Zero.
In conclusion, in my opinion, Flysky is garbage and you want to avoid this maker like they have the plague.
Bite the bullet and invest the money in another maker that has been around for more years than many in this hobby have been alive.
I tried to save a couple of hundred and have now spent many hundreds for being cheap.Don't make the same mistake as I did and learn from my foolishness.
You get what you pay for is my comment on Flysky .

Good luck and happy flying,
Sp0iler
Sp0iler is offline Find More Posts by Sp0iler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:37 PM
Joined May 2014
207 Posts
400ft is a bit much for a flysky module and Receiver. Most people switch to Frsky modules as soon as they are delivered/they can afford them.

Everyone knows that.

The standard modules I wouldn't do more than 100-200 feet with.

The boxes themselves though are pretty good... for the price. Would've been smarter to go with the FS-TH9XB and er9x or opentx software though... A LOT more band for your buck. Plus drop-in Frsky telemetry upgrade.
rainless is offline Find More Posts by rainless
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:48 PM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
Just wanted to add.... Yes, new batteries showing a full 12 volts.
And yes, it was at three different fields that all this took place.
Perhaps it's just this particular box and it has a distance issue. I doubt it but maybe.
No more "Ginnie Pigging it" for me.
The emotional toll watching your birds eat dirt hurts to much.
Then of course there's that little financial investment to think about too.
I stick with something I know works.

All JMO thanks,
Sp0iler
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:59 PM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainless View Post
400ft is a bit much for a flysky module and Receiver. Most people switch to Frsky modules as soon as they are delivered/they can afford them.

Everyone knows that.

The standard modules I wouldn't do more than 100-200 feet with.

The boxes themselves though are pretty good... for the price. Would've been smarter to go with the FS-TH9XB and er9x or opentx software though... A LOT more band for your buck. Plus drop-in Frsky telemetry upgrade.
Thanks for the input,
Nothing I read mentioned anything about a need to upgrade the receiver.Not that it's not out there, I just didn't see it.
100'200 feet. Not much and had I seen anything remotely speaking of that, I would have run from this maker long ago.
If the box is putting out a good signal, the receiver should be able to receive it and act accordingly. If the box has a weak transmission, well than that's just the issue.
Thanks again for the input,
Sp0iler
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:57 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
885 Posts
The Flysky protocol is very good and range of the receivers is well over modelling requirements as tested by the likes of RCModelReviews.com and a local tech here.
The first review of this radio transmitter pointed out shortcomings in range and subsequent users reported firmware faults.
The 4channel transmitter has also reports of reduced range in later batches with a changed rf section under a metal cover. 150 to 165Ma if it has the high power Rf board, or 75Ma if it has the low power Rf board. Flysky make many ready-to-fly model transmitters for other manufacturer's helis that have a ground range with simple receivers of around 120m.

The important consideration with budget gear is that the quality control has not been paid for - you have to do your own due diligence before committing the equipment to use. That means at a minimum checking the solder connections of all fly leads to gimbals, switches etc., full range checks and prudent installation of receiver aerials. Protecting receiver aerial connections to the board with suitable glue is good practice. Check that the transmitter aerial end is straight in the stub - the RTF transmitters usually have the end doubled!
There are many hundreds of thousands of FlySky sets flying well today. The 9X has a long history of success, become the harbinger of a whole raft of state of the art transmitters running open source firmware. But any new radio needs wariness. Flysky do not do firmware well - they have never corrected mistakes in the very old 9X firmware. They have no presence in the forums or dialogue with customers. Their new high end transmitter does not even have a removable rf module, and standard receivers have no useful failsafe.

For the cautious or technically challenged the best option for Flysky is to buy from a retailer with a reputation for fair dealing. Then you have a warranty and recourse for faults. But you will have to pay for that.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Last edited by Rusty Nail; Jul 31, 2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:02 AM
United States, IL, Wheaton
Joined Sep 2013
9 Posts
Out of range?

I found this post while looking for an explanation for a crash this weekend. I was using my FlySky T6 and FlySky R6B 6 channel receiver in my 4 star 60. I've flown this combination for a few months, about 40 flights. I've flown it a considerable distance - 71" is easy to see - with no problems... beside a few brief hesitations on aileron control.

This Saturday I was flying my first flight of the day when I noticed a brief loss of control on my first turnaround. Keen to fly, I continued. No problems for another length of the field. I was on the downline of a stall turn when I lost control. My plane and my almost new Magnum .91 FS crashed hard into the ground.

I recovered the parts. The tx voltage (new Eneloops) was 10.6v. The receiver pack (NiMh, 2000mAh, 4.8V) was 6.3v. I use 5 standard servos. Voltage doesn't appear to be the problem, especially as I was only using rudder at the time.

I still don't know what caused this crash. It's baffled me and left me scared to fly with my FlySky tx/rx again.

The guys at the field quickly looked at my FlySky Tx and informed me that they only have a range of 800 feet. This seemed a considerable underestimation to me. When I got home I looked up FlySky range test. I found this depressing video on Youtube (
FlySky FS-T6 Surface Range Test (6 min 26 sec)
). 800ft.

The plane didn't seem too far away. I thought these 2.4gHz tx's had ranges far greater than we can see a regular plane.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on my crash / tx/ rx.

Thanks,
PD.
marmalade1 is offline Find More Posts by marmalade1
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:19 PM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
Thanks for the Reply Rusty.
In hind site, of course that's all great info and I should have done more due diligence on my part.
Being my first 2.4ghz radio, I kind of just expected more and that was also my bad.
I've never had a flat out range problem in a radio before.A momentary glitch... we've all seen our share of those.Just never have I had a complete loss before.
Live and learn is the lesson here.
One thing I have thought about a bit that makes me chuckle is the comment about not trusting it more than a couple of hundred feet. lol
My high start launcher gets me 250' before your even off the hook.
I do fully intend to do my own range testing with this box and hope to find it has a factory issue. I'll then contact them for repairs.
I need to know one way or the other. Is this just a fluke with this box or is it the garbage I think it is at this point.
I'll let you know as things progress.
Thanks again for the input.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:24 PM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
Marmalade,
I too saw the video after my crash and battery fire. It was disappointing to see to say the least.
I suggest you do as I plan and do some of your own range testing with your box and see what you get.
The box worked well for my flat fomies but they're always pretty close to me.
I know mine is a range issue for sure. As I mentioned in my earlier post, from reflex I got the box above my head and regained contact for 2 seconds.Just enough time to save the plane then contact was lost again.
The only question for me is how far ?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:42 PM
Joined Sep 2013
9 Posts
Spoiler,
Thanks for the reply. I don't know what I was expecting; I clearly need a range test. I've reordered my beloved plane. I'm sending the engine in for repair/replacement this week. It's upsetting as I bought this tx/rx after an FM glitch downed another plane in March.

Happy landings.
PD.
Old Aug 03, 2014, 10:15 PM
Joined Sep 2013
9 Posts
Range test performed.

So, I range tested my FlySky T6 /R6B by driving away from my plane with my transmitter while talking to my friend on my phone while he was holding my plane. I stopped when signal was lost and used Google Maps/GPS to measure the distance. We tried numerous antenna positions on both the tx and rx; no difference was found. Terrain was a long tree lined suburban street, in line of sight.

Signal was lost at 0.3 miles. That's 1584 feet. The plane and my friend were almost dots on the horizon. Confidence has been restored. The distance certainly wasn't amazing, but it was clearly sufficient for flying my 60 size glow planes.

PD.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:06 AM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
Update..... mine is definitely a box problem. I ranged tested this weekend.
I get between 350-400 feet and then lose it all.
I think Rusty was right about the QC for FS.Obviously it's pretty poor.
I'll contact the factory this week and see if they will work with me to remedy the problem.
It's been a very expensive learning curve so far.
My suggestion for now is to range test your new FS box before putting anything in the air.
For me, I'm going back to Spektrum or Futaba for now.
More to follow soon.
Thanks again for the input.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:27 AM
Joined Sep 2013
9 Posts
Resolution?

So, weeks after my crash I may have found where my problem came from. My 4*60 was using the R6b rx with a 2000mAh 4.8V battery. I reported the rx voltage to be about 6V after the crash.

However, I learnt this evening that my field voltmeter is faulty. A twice verified (charger and Power Analyzer) 5.05v rx pack showed up as 7+V. I changed the 9v battery inside the Hobbico voltmeter and suddenly the voltmeter was spot on accurate with the other two voltmeters. The day of the flight I used a rx pack from the previous week (I know, I know, but my voltmeter gave the green light!).

I don't have the desire / time to calibrate the faulty voltmeter to estimate what the "7v" really was, but if 5v is showing up as 7+v, I expect 6v could have been... probable cause?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 06:29 AM
Crasher Extraordinaire
United Kingdom, England, Devon
Joined Apr 2012
195 Posts
Sooo, it should be good for indoor flying then!
cheapncheerful is offline Find More Posts by cheapncheerful