HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:48 PM
United States, AL, Springville
Joined Jun 2011
63 Posts
Question
3mm white depron aero

Hi guys. I need some advice. I placed an order with rcfoam last week for a case of 3mm White Depron AERO foam. I received my order today I believe its not the correct foam. The foam I ordered is suppose to be 20% lighter in weight and a shinny smooth texture. I did a cutout with the new foam with my phalprinter and weighed an airframe (just the foam) and it came out to 14 grams. My foam that I have been using looks and feels just the same. My airframe out of the old 3mm depron and it is 14 grams as well.
3drankin is offline Find More Posts by 3drankin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3drankin; Jun 15, 2014 at 04:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:40 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drankin View Post
Hi guys. I need some advice. I placed an order with rcfoam last week for a case of 3mm White Depron AERO foam. I received my order today I believe its not the correct foam. The foam I ordered is suppose to be 20% lighter in weight and a shinny smooth texture. I did a cutout with the new foam with my phalprinter and weighed an airframe (just the foam) and it came out to 14 grams. My foam that I have been using looks and feels just the same. My airframe out of the old 3mm depron and it is 14 grams as well.

The shipping label on the box , and the receipt shows that I ordered and paided for the Aero foam.
This is also a bulk quantity of foam, and a good bit of money tied up.
I also had damage on one of the shipping boxes that damaged 5 sheets of foam
I made contact with them about the issue and haven't heard back from them.
I had the same thing happen, they replaced it with the right stuff.

The replacement still was not 20% lighter however, but the texture was different.

I was told by someone else that they got in a batch of foam that was heavier than normal. Foam does vary quite a bit, even in the same shipment.
If I recall the aero was only just a bit lighter than the lightest regular Depron I had from an older order.
But lighter on average than the Depron that they sent me by mistake.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:47 AM
Joined Jun 2011
63 Posts
3mm white depron aero

Thank you for the info. I hope they have good customer service because its a big price differences then the normal 3mm depron. Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DMON lil, ripper
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:55 AM
Joined Dec 2002
16,711 Posts
In my experience they have excellent customer service. Great vendor to deal with.

Looking at my emails just now, not only was the material too heavy and had the wrong "feel", the sheets were also the wrong size.
They were half sheets and were the size that regular Depron would have been. (13.6" wide)
If you look at the web site the basic size of the sheets for Depron Aero is different and half sheets should be 15" wide.

All of this put together and mine were very clearly the wrong item, not just out of spec as far as weight.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:06 AM
Joined Jun 2011
63 Posts
3mm White Depron AERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
In my experience they have excellent customer service. Great vendor to deal with.

Looking at my emails just now, not only was the material too heavy and had the wrong "feel", the sheets were also the wrong size.
They were half sheets and were the size that regular Depron would have been. (13.6" wide)
If you look at the web site the basic size of the sheets for Depron Aero is different and half sheets should be 15" wide.

All of this put together and mine were very clearly the wrong item, not just out of spec as far as weight.
They ship me the correct size and quantity its the same weight as the normal 3mm depron foam. I guess its a bad batch.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3drankin; Jun 14, 2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:24 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,148 Posts
All of the Depron Aero Ive gotten in the last year or so has been way to heavy to consider using, I suspect that selitac has changes the formula they use on it. The weight(and finish) of the normal Depron Ive gotten lately has been very inconsistent as well, at least 1/3rd of what I buy anymore I deem not kit worthy and put in the paint mask/scrap pile.

Its good to see RCfoam can take care of some customers...
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:04 AM
Joined Dec 2002
16,711 Posts
This is the problem when given the application it was designed for we rely on what can only be a considered a "secondary" characteristic of the material.
I doubt anyone would care if the insulation under their floor was a bit heavier than it should be.

As I said I bought Aero hoping to shave off some weight, and in the end (even after RCfoam shipped me the correct item) I was not much better off than with my old foam.

FWIW, same thing happens with much more expensive Rohacell foam used in gliders.
And it that case weight is one of the primary characteristics for the material, given the design application as core material in composite structures.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2006
82 Posts
I too recently ordered some AERO foam (6 MM), and got regular depron instead. They said they will now send the correct stuff. In addition, about 6 months ago I ordered some of the 3 MM AERO and was surprised at the weight. When I called I was informed that the 3 MM density was much greater than the density of the 6 MM and that the weight info was clearly stated on their web site. It did weigh about the same as the regular dupron. The only advantage therefore is that their 3 MM AERO is clearly less brittle than the 3 MM regular depron.
williamdlloyd is offline Find More Posts by williamdlloyd
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamdlloyd View Post
I too recently ordered some AERO foam (6 MM), and got regular depron instead. They said they will now send the correct stuff. In addition, about 6 months ago I ordered some of the 3 MM AERO and was surprised at the weight. When I called I was informed that the 3 MM density was much greater than the density of the 6 MM and that the weight info was clearly stated on their web site. It did weigh about the same as the regular dupron. The only advantage therefore is that their 3 MM AERO is clearly less brittle than the 3 MM regular depron.
I will call RC foam Monday maybe they can help i heard they have great customer service . Thank you for your info
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2014, 08:28 PM
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
good, hope they have good customer service because its a big price differences then the normal 3mm depron. Thanks you
zhuandabuli is offline Find More Posts by zhuandabuli
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
63 Posts
3mm White Depron AERO

RC foam has the best customer service they took care of everything plus shipped out the right products within a week. A+ service will keep doing business with them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:15 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,080 Posts
I hope Chris and the rest of you folks get better treatment than I did. Their customer service or lack thereof is horribly bad. Tried to bilk me out if $135.00 and refused to do anything, but Visa took care of me.
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder