HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2014, 05:59 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,127 Posts
Discussion
Dragonfly Strong E discussion and build thread

I just received a Dragonfly Strong E from SoaringUSA today. I won't be building this right away because I didn't get any of the electronics for it yet. I have to decide what I am going to use. Initial impressions are making me very happy with the purchase. I am very impressed with the elevator setup. After having two Top Model kits with elevator issues this ARF from Valenta Model is not going to have any issues there. It's also more complete out of the box. The firewall is mounted, pushrods are pre-installed in the fuse for elevator and rudder, it's all hinged and the canopy hatch is all complete.
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:08 PM
Rolling Takeoff
Japan
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
I have been looking at this glider for a while. What do they use as the hinge for the ailerons and flaps?
japan3d is offline Find More Posts by japan3d
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:10 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by japan3d View Post
I have been looking at this glider for a while. What do they use as the hinge for the ailerons and flaps?
It's taped hinges. The rudder hinge is formed from the fuselage.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:47 PM
Scott J.
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined Jan 2013
153 Posts
Gary you have a good eye for sailplanes ! Bet the bell crank is right on this one ...
zephirus is online now Find More Posts by zephirus
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:54 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephirus View Post
Gary you have a good eye for sailplanes ! Bet the bell crank is right on this one ...
That was the first thing I looked at. I have had such bad luck with Top Model bellcranks. This one has an aluminum hub supporting the elevator. It's solid engineering. I have to get everything on a scale and start seeing what kind of motor I can use. I am thinking the GliderDrive that I used in my 3M Albatros should be good enough.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 07:47 PM
Scott J.
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined Jan 2013
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
That was the first thing I looked at. I have had such bad luck with Top Model bellcranks. This one has an aluminum hub supporting the elevator. It's solid engineering. I have to get everything on a scale and start seeing what kind of motor I can use. I am thinking the GliderDrive that I used in my 3M Albatros should be good enough.
I really like Gliderdrive motors ...
zephirus is online now Find More Posts by zephirus
Old Jun 03, 2014, 11:17 PM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,058 Posts
Looks really nice!
I have been looking at this one too!

Joe
JK13 is offline Find More Posts by JK13
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:21 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,127 Posts
I weighed the pieces today. Total weight is 1445 grams (3.2 pounds). I was somewhat surprised to see the left and right wings were off by 6 grams.

I am thinking my Albatros 3M did well with Hitec 225MG's for rudder/elevator and Hitec 85MG's for the ailerons/flaps. A GliderDrive 3858 4.6 and a YEP 80 ESC. Adding all the electronics in and other misc stuff comes in at 1931 grams (4.2 pounds). The Albatros came in at 3.8 pounds and 4.8 with battery. So if I got the weights about right the DragonFly should come in around 5.2 pounds.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 09:55 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,692 Posts
I have the 225's and 85mg's in mine. I started with a geared mega but when the gear box broke went to a geared Neu. On 3000 5S and a Turnigy 80A Plush ESC. Hundreds of flights. It flys very nice. Only issue on mine was that one wing was built with a twist in it that is just enough that twisting it back and heating the Monokote just gets it straight. I recovered mine as I didn't like the red/ white scheme and like my own better, red/ white/ blue...

Edit; 1115/2.5D/6.7 on 5S and a 18.5x12 CAM prop 85oz
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Last edited by Evan D; Jun 05, 2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 09:07 PM
Certified Prop Nut
Charleston, SC
Joined Mar 2010
18 Posts
Looks nice Gary!
jimbogreek is offline Find More Posts by jimbogreek
Old Jun 09, 2014, 07:57 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,127 Posts
All the stuff arrived today for the Dragonfly. I have not started the build yet but I stuck the Yep 80 and GliderDrive and in the nose (it's just laying in there), fitted the elevator and wings and tried a rough CG check to see if it would balance ok. With my Zippy 4s 4000 pack from my Albatros it looks good, the CG was fine. I was a tad nervous that the GliderDrive would be too light.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:08 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,692 Posts
Balance shouldn't be any problem, lots of room to more the LiPo forward. This is mine.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:17 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,127 Posts
I installed the motor today. With the firewall pre-glued and not drilled it was a bit of a hassle to line up the motor so the spinner would line up with the fuse. The center hole fit the GliderDrive perfectly to help center it. I made a template from clear plastic and then glued the plastic to the firewall to drill the holes.

The one minor kink with GliderDrives are the bullets coming out the back. They don't allow for the battery to get too close to the motor if you need a lot of nose weight. Once the ESC wires are installed the battery is pushed back a good bit.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:01 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Balance shouldn't be any problem, lots of room to more the LiPo forward. This is mine.
Evan can you post a photo of your cabin area with the battery and elevator and rudder servos? I would like to see how you placed your servos. When I trial fitted my motor and battery the servos won't be able to fit in the canopy area which will make it hard to gain access to the servo arm screws.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:01 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,692 Posts
sure but it'll be a couple days... there may be a shot in previous attachments..