SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:14 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
Discussion
in need of a motor size

Hi, I need some help with choosing a motor. I just finish a poster foam board trainer plane. On the maiden flight the plane took off but started sinking right of way until I had lo land it. Do I need a bigger motor? and if I do, what size should I use?

Plane specs: Trainer 40" wing span,71/4" chord with ailerons - 30" long with motor included

Power Plant:

Motor2212-1000KV-thrust 650-680- Max current:13.8A- Max 150W
ESC:30A
Batt:11.1v 1000mah 30C

The plane is a 4 channel it is balanced as it should and total weight is 20 oz.
Any ideas?
I'm 72 and new to the hobby and this is the second plane that I build from scratch, the first was a little 16" wing span trainer type that flies beautifully. I have read a lot and learned a lot but this one is bigger than I can muster.
ermavi is offline Find More Posts by ermavi
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:21 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
I forgot to mention, the prop I used is a 9x5 I also have some 10x6 that I have not try.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:23 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,203 Posts
Welcome. What prop are you running ? Should fly with that setup. Do you have any pics? Are you getting full throttle ? With the prop removed turn on your radio and move throttle stick to full on ( to the top). Plug battery into plane and listen for the normal beeps ( usually hear 3 for 3 cell battery). Once beeps have sounded move the throttle stick down to minimum you should hear a beep when it gets there. Now try cycling the stick a few times to confirm throttle works. Remount prop and see if it has more. Oomph then before
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:29 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,276 Posts
150W should fly a 40" 20 oz plane.
Was the battery fully charged?
Is the correct prop fitted? Is the prop mounted the right way? (curved side to front, flat side to back)
Did you allow the plane to accelerate to a reasonable airspeed before trying to climb? A low-powered plane can get stuck in a high-drag configuration and not be able to gain flying speed.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:34 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
I'm running a 9x5 I also have some 10x6, wish one should I use? It seams to run full throttle, I have a tachometer I will read the rpm and see if it is giving all the rpm. It should turn at about 11000 rpm at full throttle, is that correct?
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:45 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
Yes to prop right side and acceleration. I also launch it by hand with same result, straight flight unable to climb an sinking. battery was 90%, I check for beeps from ESC to make sure that everything is correct.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
I will post some pics tomorrow, I have to learn how to post pictures in here.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 10:13 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
These are the pictures of the plane before finish.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 06:47 AM
Joined Apr 2013
557 Posts
Assuming your CG is between 25 and 30 percent chord, then here's my guess:
From the pics, I would guess that the horizontal stabilizer and elevator may be undersized. In order to get away with so small an elevator it would need to be placed further back from the CG (like on a Bixler).
One way to find out for sure: Launch the thing from a high place (like third floor window or garage roof), let it dive a bit and then try up elevator. If you get really anemic nose up rotation then you know your elevator is too small.
Another thing to try: If your CG is at 25 percent chord, try 30 percent chord. That will give the elevator more authority, but be advised that it will also make the plane more "twitchy".
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel
Old Mar 03, 2014, 08:59 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
The horizontal stab is too small for your type of high winged trainer design. A good 'rule of thumb' is that the total area, including the elevator, should be 25% of the wing's area.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:25 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,480 Posts
i agree with nuteman : The size of horizontal stabiliser seems very small but it also might be an optical effect because of the camera lens.
Anyway, I would say : Built another horizontal stabiliser twice bigger than this one and give it a try.
The moving part on the horizontal stab should be at least around 20 to 25% of the total surface.
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:41 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,203 Posts
Ermavi some excellent advice here . Heres a nice link for trainer design http://adamone.rchomepage.com/design.htm

lets see how it goes with a bigger tail
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 03, 2014, 04:40 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,086 Posts
The horizontal stab and elevator are WAYYYYY too small.
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Mar 03, 2014, 07:01 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
Also, be careful of your prop choices, it will effect the amp draw. Do you have a wattmeter? It's the next most important thing to your transmitter if doing electric power.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Mar 03, 2014, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
motor angle

I have a Watts meter coming if it ever gets here. Thank you all for your advise, I thought the elevator and rudder was kind of small. I will build one bigger. Now, should I use a 10x6 prop or keep the 9x5? The other thing that kind of bothers me is the angle of the motor facing down in relation to the horizontal line of the planes fuselage, ( see pictures) I welcome your comments on that.