HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 07, 2013, 11:43 PM
Low rates are for wimps
bwoollia's Avatar
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,377 Posts
Build Log
Park Flyer Plastics "1/4" Scale P-40

Man, I gotta say I'm excited about this build. When I discovered the kit on Keith's site I was smitten! There is a build log done by Keith here and another builder has started his own log as well, both in the foam section. I decided it would be appropriate to start my own build log here. This will be a scale project for me!

First off, I think it's important to note that the model isn't quite 1/4 scale. A quick bit of math puts it at 1/4.67 scale, however it's still quite large at 95" wingspan!

I purchased the kit from Park Flyer Plastics, and the CNC parts package with extra foam from Ken's CAD Models.

The short kit from Keith is first class, the vacuum formed parts are of very good quality! Of special note is the great cockpit detail and the huge spinner! There is also a metal spinner backplate and laser cut plywood parts.

I'm starting with the wings. Here are the bottom sheets with the rib and spar locations traced out.

bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2013, 06:02 AM
Registered User
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
987 Posts
I'll be watching this one...
wilmracer is online now Find More Posts by wilmracer
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 07:26 AM
Parkfly Padawan
JForbes's Avatar
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
961 Posts
Subscribed. I've been in a slump on my build the past couple of months, just with "life and a wife" but hope to get back into it soon. I agree 100% on the kit... it is amazing. I have only done the fuse thus far, but if you have any questions, it's still pretty fresh in my mind so I'll try to help out with answers the best that i can. Best of luck.... this plane is going to be awesome!
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 07:49 AM
Registered User
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,326 Posts
What do you guys plan to use for power? The same motor setup Sparks used?
I'm wondering if it would be possible to do a geared motor setup, which would help turn a scale size 3-blades prop and sound better too, and not like a big electric weed trimmer.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 08:17 AM
Parkfly Padawan
JForbes's Avatar
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
961 Posts
I think for mine I will probably go with the Turnigy 50cc electric motor. It was a toss-up between that and the Rimfire for me, but after reading some reviews, I liked the feedback on the Turnigy a little more. Just my opinion and my plan though... I'm not sure about the build in this thread.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 08:21 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
Tuning in. I've seen you do great work in balsa with an Aerodrome RC kit. Lets see what you can do with foam
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 08:43 AM
The Hun in the Sun
vonJaerschky's Avatar
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,409 Posts
Go Brian Go! Can't wait to see this one come together.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 10:26 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
Hey VonJ! glad you would tune in as well! I'm watching as I have a project in the planning-stage. Peter Rake Bristol F2B but I want to do it out of foam. Looking for possible build techniques. I know Brian can be quite creative so BUILD ON!!
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 12:18 PM
ARFs make me BARF
mrittinger's Avatar
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,000 Posts
Eflite has new large motor as well....

Neat project.
Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 03:19 PM
Low rates are for wimps
bwoollia's Avatar
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmracer View Post
I'll be watching this one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
Subscribed. I've been in a slump on my build the past couple of months, just with "life and a wife" but hope to get back into it soon. I agree 100% on the kit... it is amazing. I have only done the fuse thus far, but if you have any questions, it's still pretty fresh in my mind so I'll try to help out with answers the best that i can. Best of luck.... this plane is going to be awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn View Post
What do you guys plan to use for power? The same motor setup Sparks used?
I'm wondering if it would be possible to do a geared motor setup, which would help turn a scale size 3-blades prop and sound better too, and not like a big electric weed trimmer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I think for mine I will probably go with the Turnigy 50cc electric motor. It was a toss-up between that and the Rimfire for me, but after reading some reviews, I liked the feedback on the Turnigy a little more. Just my opinion and my plan though... I'm not sure about the build in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Tuning in. I've seen you do great work in balsa with an Aerodrome RC kit. Lets see what you can do with foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
Go Brian Go! Can't wait to see this one come together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
Eflite has new large motor as well....

Neat project.
Mark
Wow, a lot of interest! Welcome guys, I hope I can live up to your expectations.

As far as power is concerned, I did get a good deal on a Scorpion S-5535-160 which is what Keith used in his with the three-bladed prop. I'm going to engineer some ducting to guide cooling air over the motor and out the cowl flaps (which I may make functional). I did consider some other Turnigy options as well:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18182

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18184

So the plans for this one:
  • Functional Split Flaps
  • Retractable Tailwheel with scale canvas lined interior
  • W/C Stocky Edwards scheme (I used to chat with Stocky at the mess in Comox)
  • Rotary Drive System aileron & rudder (RDS) - I don't want control horns hanging out.
  • Weathering, panel lines, etc

So far I have the motor and retracts in hand. I have to pick up some servos, RDS connections and air control kit before I seal up the wing.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...memorated.aspx

bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 08:04 PM
ARFs make me BARF
mrittinger's Avatar
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,000 Posts
I spoke with a full scale P40 pilot when I designed my 42" P40E fro MAN. He said that there was so much air going in the big scoop that couldn't get out, even with the cowl flaps open, that you could feel the heat down the side of the fuse.
On my model, I had to block off half the scoop to stop the hatch from blowing off, and it was held on with Goldberg hatch clips! Just something to consider.

If I recall, Keith's bird is a P40E, and yours is a "long tail".....might need some mods.

Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 09:17 PM
Low rates are for wimps
bwoollia's Avatar
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
I spoke with a full scale P40 pilot when I designed my 42" P40E fro MAN. He said that there was so much air going in the big scoop that couldn't get out, even with the cowl flaps open, that you could feel the heat down the side of the fuse.
On my model, I had to block off half the scoop to stop the hatch from blowing off, and it was held on with Goldberg hatch clips! Just something to consider.

If I recall, Keith's bird is a P40E, and yours is a "long tail".....might need some mods.

Mark
I know that Keith had issues with the cowl pushing forward into the spinner as the fuselage overpressurized from the huge intakes! I'll have to let air out where I can, and make sure that hatches and cowls are secure!

I'm not exactly sure what Keith's model is, however the cooling inlet that he put on the side behind the spinner pegs it as a P-40M or N. Now, whether that detail is appropriate for the model is another story! I was really hoping that no-one would point out the model variant issue, you have forced me to deal with it!
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2013, 09:26 PM
The Hun in the Sun
vonJaerschky's Avatar
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
I was really hoping that no-one would point out the model variant issue, you have forced me to deal with it!
We're here to help.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2013, 12:13 AM
Registered User
D-Rock's Avatar
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,896 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this one progress. Any plans on what retracts you will be using? Subscribed

D-Rock
D-Rock is online now Find More Posts by D-Rock
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2013, 12:20 AM
Low rates are for wimps
bwoollia's Avatar
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rock View Post
Looking forward to seeing this one progress. Any plans on what retracts you will be using? Subscribed

D-Rock
I have a set of Robart 150s.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off Site P-51 and Corsair and P-40 New in package Robart scale 2 1/4" diamond treaded wheels MiG-3 Reno Rocket Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 07, 2013 01:13 AM
Off Site P-51 and Corsair and P-40 New in package Robart scale 2 1/4" diamond treaded wheels MiG-3 Reno Rocket Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 1 May 07, 2013 01:12 AM
Off Site P-51 and Corsair and P-40 New in package Robart scale 2 1/4" diamond treaded wheels MiG-3 Reno Rocket Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 1 May 07, 2013 01:09 AM
Off Site P-51 and Corsair and P-40 New in package Robart scale 2 1/4" diamond treaded wheels MiG-3 Reno Rocket Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 07, 2013 01:09 AM
Discussion 1/4 Scale FanFold P-40 plans? joker24458 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 4 Apr 19, 2013 08:58 PM