Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Discussion
Help me Decide Oly II or a BoT

Hi all my fleet of thermalers is.

Spectra (brushless)
Electra (built like sh&t but still floats well)
Sophicate lady (pure glider)
Maurader (2 fuse glider and e-powered)

Once I owned a Oly II that I bought used. I loved the floatiness of it and regret selling it. At the time I bought it there was also a beautiful BoT hanging there, but they wanted more money for it. I always loved the style of the Bot wings. I would say my building skills are intermediate. The Maurader turned out ok. So any comparison to build difficulty would be appreciated.

I will almost definatly make e-power a part of the next build. I can not make up my mind on which to get, I do like slow and floaty for calm days. I am pretty sure the Maurader can handle the windier days for me.

So lets vote which should I build next. And both is not a option at this time. The other is likely to be built later.

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:55 AM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Not really relivant but I have access to a old spirit 100 kit, That will likely be added to my fleet someday as the owner does not have time to build and would give it to me if I asked. But it is 1000 miles away right now so I will not get my hands on it in the near future.

Highflier
PS. If you say BoT, don't forget to suggest which one XL, Skybird etc...
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:04 AM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
What size wingspan do you want to fly next?
AZ_Astro is offline Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:26 AM
USA, PA, New Hope
Joined Nov 2001
899 Posts
I went from Electra, Spectra, Skybench Lil Bird to 2 M Bird to Big Bird. The last three have the BOT wing shape but with a LASER kit. The first two were electric. I have not converted the Bird series to electric as yet but did build an electric Viking from Skybench. Very floaty and all built the same way. LASER cut and very precise. I think they sell several OLY versions too.
Where do you fly? We have a field north of Doylestown that is glider friendly and we are looking for new members (BCRc).
Vito
Vito is offline Find More Posts by Vito
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:58 PM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
I usually fly at a local school yard. Electrics make it easy. Can you either PM me the addy of the flight field or post it here. Tell me more about BCRC.

As fair as size I am not sure yet, Leaning towards a 100" area simple because they should float better, but......

The spectra is white and I have a hard time seeing it, Therefore I do not fly it much.

The electra I fly a fair amount but to be honest it was a 5 year build and I finally said F' it and just slapped it togeather. It really is amazing that it has not fallen apart in the sky, Even a little more amazing that it actually flys nice, Still looks like trash though. So a nice 2 meter daily flyer would fill a nitch also. My S/L looks nice and was built pretty good, However I am to lazy to stretch the hi-start for myself, Half of the time I fly alone as I have not been in any clubs. The maurader just took to the sky this week and still undergoing a few tuning issues, All in all it is getting there and flying nice, However I am not sure it floats as well as the electra, But that could be the CG issue yet. It definitaly is a sturdy and nice looking bird.

Since this pic the quad flaps where cut out and activated, They are in white.

Just googled direction to the Doyestown airport. 30 min drive 17 miles

Highflier
Last edited by highflier; Jul 09, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:06 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,970 Posts
Does BCRC have any sailplane only times, like Sunday mornings?

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:19 AM
USA, PA, New Hope
Joined Nov 2001
899 Posts
Randy,
Slimers are not allowed until 10 AM every day and noon on Sunday. That leaves electrics only. A few years ago that meant that the noisy smelly guys (and their planes) could only watch me until then. Electrics have really won the club over and now there may be a couple of guys flying before the noise limit is lifted. We have a lot of room and it is rarely crowded so electrics gliders fly all the time. I fly my DLG to avoid interference with powered planes or just keep it in a thermal for 10 minutes (wish).
Vito
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:22 PM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Anybody that has built a Maurader and a bigbird, Can you tell me which was a more difficult build. or any other comparison in build efforts.

Highflier
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:09 PM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Bump.... Well I am thinking BoT, but I can not decide between the 2m or the 100" one.
I am suprized that nobody has commented on the build difficulting post above.

The electra saw flight today. 2 min of total motor time and 30 min of total flilght time.

Highflier
Last edited by highflier; Jul 13, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:55 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Bird! definitly a bird! B-B-B-Bird, the Bird is the word (sorry ).

If for no other reason than it is the most beautiful model SP designed, ever.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:07 PM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Thanks for replying I was beginning to think that nobody had a opinion for me. So I just went ahead with my gut. and said Bot. A few days debating between 78" or 100" version.

I think my next one will be a 2m bird electrified to replace my ugly and poorly built electra.

I made some real improvment on the Maruader today. Caught a few little bubbles before I got chased off the field by 20-30 school kids.

I am thinking that this motor might be what I try,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2106

I have a zippy 3s 1800MAh pack that I will couple with it and a 30amp ESC.

Highflier
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:13 PM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Just got off the phone will Ray, as soon as the balsa dusts settles he will be shipping me a 2m Bot Electric kit

Highflier
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:51 PM
USA, PA, New Hope
Joined Nov 2001
899 Posts
Flier,
So you bought the electric 2M Bird from Skybench? I just lloked at his site to see if he sold the BoT and couldn't find it. I built mine and instead of covering the fuse, I bought a small can of Polyurethane and had the hardware store give it a couple of shots of yellow. I wiped it on the fuse and immediately wiped it off to limit the penetration. It looks good and does not sag in the sun. The pigment makes it easy to see at altitude. Good luck with the build.
Vito
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:03 PM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Just realized that his site links are all the same, will not take you to the pages I was trying to link

Anyways his bird series appears to be availible in pure sail or e-power kits.

How could you not see it on his site is beyond me. He has a whole series of Bots,
60",78",100",132". From what I understand that are not the same exact plane as the original Bot. But people rave they are much better and stronger.

http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h....com/home.html

he calls them bird series

Ray also has a guide on how to do the fuse. His trick requires Bounty paper towels and not other brands.. go figure.
search for "bounty"

Highflier
Last edited by highflier; Jul 20, 2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: ack links are not correct
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:11 PM
USA, PA, New Hope
Joined Nov 2001
899 Posts
The actual Bird of Time is a slightly different design that is marketed by Dynaflight. Ray calls his design simply Birds. They certainly do look very similar but Ray has explained the differences in the past. I think you have chosen wisely.
Vito