HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:15 AM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
282 Posts
I hear what you're screamming.

I got my Camo in yesterday, the bird I think has good bones, but there are issues, decals weak and can be removed with glass cleaner, The Tan areas look like painted with gold paint. As far as the canopy goes I'm working on a solution, it will not be difficult and will be simple and will cost less than $10.00. I'll post pics as I make progress so stay tuned. All of these things can be fixed and will turn this airframe into somthing that you will really proud of.

Any tips or mods out there that I've not mentioned, let's list them and work out a solution.

Thanks Guys...Don
Low Show is offline Find More Posts by Low Show
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:23 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Show View Post
I got my Camo in yesterday, the bird I think has good bones, but there are issues, decals weak and can be removed with glass cleaner, The Tan areas look like painted with gold paint. As far as the canopy goes I'm working on a solution, it will not be difficult and will be simple and will cost less than $10.00. I'll post pics as I make progress so stay tuned. All of these things can be fixed and will turn this airframe into somthing that you will really proud of.

Any tips or mods out there that I've not mentioned, let's list them and work out a solution.

Thanks Guys...Don
Retracts
Elevator
Pull Pull system
Motor mount
Prop Balance and mounting
Separate BEC

To name a few all theses have been posted here. What the problem with the canopy short of it need to be trimmed?

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:08 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
Mike, The canopy is too short on the front end of it. If you look closely at pics of the full scale you can see that the full size one comes all the way down to the scoop. The Starmax one has foam come up about 1/2" off the scoop where the plastic meets it. Not only that but the full size one does not have a 3 piece canopy as depicted in the model, its only 2 piece.

For the recently surfaced scale bugs. Looking at pics of the real "Naked Fanny" vs my Starmax version, The flash blockers are not all to blame. They are only a small bit off from scale. What makes them look so far off is that the pipes on the model are located too high on the side. If you moved the pipes about a half inch lower and the blockers a quarter inch up they would be properly located per scale. The spine antennae placement and look would be an easy fix, but personally i like having the big black antenna on the back of the hatch to help in hatch removal. I could also easily omit my dive brakes as the scale version did not use them but rather had a crew/passenger compartment in that area.

But all in all I am happy with how it looks and it gets lots of attention at the field. I may end up doing some of these details down the road but for now I am working on the sound system. I did find 1 system out there that actually has Skyraider specific engine and gun sounds. Its not the cheapest of the options but may yield the best results in the scale aspect of things.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:36 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,084 Posts
Guess I never noticed just trimmed mine and glued it on.
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:12 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
jason,
your my hero!!!LOL!! now we of course need video!!!!!
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:28 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
I will have to take a good measure meant, I had planned to aim the speaker at a 45* angle going towards the nose with a speaker box to seal it up.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:29 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
Ok went out and picked up the rat shack amp kit. Took me about 20 minutes to solder it all up and set it up. A Db check shows 84Db vs my old system at 71Db. Now mind you this test was outside the fuse/echo chamber. But the new roadblock is my old speaker cover was costing me at least 15-20Db with it on (just a guess at this point). But its noticeably louder with it off. So the hunt has now begun for a white or even black thin non-restrictive mesh. But things are again moving forward. In any event the new amp can be used in any further systems purchased.

Jason
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:21 PM
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
jayson,
what about white silk fabric, very sheer. like used in leotards or stockings???? would that work???
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:38 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
I was thinking that something like that is what I needed but hadn't thought about it that simply. Thanks for that, now just need to go pick some up. I think I am coming down with the bug thats going around so even though I may feel ok at the moment as soon as I start to get ready to go crap out fast. But with any luck I can get some today or tomorrow.

Jason
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:22 PM
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
Jason,
the $1 store sells white kids stockings that will do just fine for your speakers i think...
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:02 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a plan as there is one down the street. Its just a matter of keeping the energy up to get there, lol. The last dose of meds seem to helping keep me going as I was able to get all the sound parts mounted back in the plane. Here is a pic to show how they have been placed to minimize effect on cg.

Jason
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Yeah that sounds like a plan as there is one down the street. Its just a matter of keeping the energy up to get there, lol. The last dose of meds seem to helping keep me going as I was able to get all the sound parts mounted back in the plane. Here is a pic to show how they have been placed to minimize effect on cg.

Jason
i havent replied to any of your post since i just sittingback eating
waiting on the final results. so get well soon so you can HURRRY UP THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:46 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
Sandy, LOL I wish I would.

I forgot to mention the reason the red boxes are there is because the sound components are underneath the ply for protection from fumbling fingers .

Jason
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,329 Posts
Folks I am a new guy to the electric aircraft thing. I have been flying rc on and off starting in the 80's and have allways had glow or gas models. I find myself attracted to the electric models and there simple operation not to mention the absence of noise. I picked myself up a Dynam Sonic ep glider and fell in love with electric. But with the ep glider I find myself bored within minutes, its a glider and is what it is. I love the looks and the size of the skyraider, after seing the Banana Hobby vid I told myself I had to have one as the kid in the vid makes it look rock solid steady with power to boot. What i am wondering is if this plane tracks and performes for real like it does in the vid. I have had .40 to .90 size warbirds that without mixing were very unscale in flight, is this bird to good to be true? If not this plane I was looking at a 1600mm pitts on Banana Hobby as well.
semperfi1970 is online now Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:32 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
Semperfi, It flies as well as it looks in the video on BH. Mine is a good bit heavier than stock and still flies awesome imho. There are things you need to do to it for insurance but with you being and old glow guy shouldn't be anything you can handle.

Jason