dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:35 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
LOL I ordered that this morning before running out the door to work. It's already shipped (no pun intended!) After one hour cruising with my first r/c boat (a springer) i'm hooked but good. I just bought enough 1.5, 3, and 6mm ply for two boats. I'll be sure to log this build and I will publish the plans when its complete.

As this tug is for my wife we will have a design consultation soon to settle some details about the wheelhouse and color scheme.
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:45 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,584 Posts
It seems to me that you want to make the drive system very complicated.
You can use a straight drive line at an angle. This is the same method that full size use.
I am building a class A hydro plane that has a flat bottom. These are normally powered with an out board. I am using a inboard drive with a dummy outboard.
Nice and simple
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:03 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,847 Posts
Model ?

Aren't those people riding IN THE MODEL right now ?
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:45 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlepinske View Post
LOL I ordered that this morning before running out the door to work. It's already shipped (no pun intended!) After one hour cruising with my first r/c boat (a springer) i'm hooked but good. I just bought enough 1.5, 3, and 6mm ply for two boats. I'll be sure to log this build and I will publish the plans when its complete.

As this tug is for my wife we will have a design consultation soon to settle some details about the wheelhouse and color scheme.
It's a nice little book.... lots of ideas for small cheap boats..
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Mar 17, 2011, 06:27 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC View Post
It seems to me that you want to make the drive system very complicated.
You can use a straight drive line at an angle. This is the same method that full size use.
I am building a class A hydro plane that has a flat bottom. These are normally powered with an out board. I am using a inboard drive with a dummy outboard.
Nice and simple
being an airplane guy I have to ask, whats the effect of the down-thrust? does it even matter to the handling? and is my straight drive really complex? I just think a flat bottom seems too easy to build to really work well.. the box keel seems more of a midway between a real V-type hull and a flat bottom. AND it stands up on the shelf without a cradle.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 06:48 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Neat looking design! I like your straight drive line approach- I think it would work very well for this boat. Flex-drive, which was suggested has one disadvantage in that it does not like to go in reverse all that well.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:07 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Aerominded, it's usually not a good idea to put reverse in a go-fast boat, because the possibility exists that you may screw yourself to the bottom if you apply too much power---.

And yes, flex cables are spiral-wound in one direction, and applying reverse would unravel them and bind up in the shaft tube---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:22 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,584 Posts
The down thrust has very little effect. If it did there would be a lot of full size boats in trouble. Almost all boats have a down trust unless they use and outboard, stern drive, or have a very deep hull. Just take a look at all the inboard sport boats.
I went this way in the hydro so I could put a larger and faster motor in. The original 3 point hydro's were set up this way, now most use surface props, but the shaft still has an angle to it.
Kap is right a flex drive dose not work well in a scale boat. In reverse the cable can unwind and can also pump water into the boat.
Of my 105 running boats I think that about 85% have the shafts at an angle.
www.jsgill.net
By the way I also fly only 54 aircraft.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:17 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
You can do a music wire drive and it can reverse just fine. It won't handle as much flex as a cable wire drive but it does flex some.

Flat bottom would also lend itself to a jet drive very nicely. Many flat bottom boats are jets.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:57 AM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,028 Posts
Here is another option, this is the same company that I used for the Dipper 19 build using their plans. For $1.00 you can download the study plans or go to his website to see what else he has to offer. (http://store.devlinboat.com/godzilla...samerican.aspx ). Jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:24 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
...flex cables are spiral-wound in one direction, and applying reverse would unravel them and bind up in the shaft tube---.
Exactly!

Music wire idea is a fine one... though I really like the solution shown in jlepinske's drawings.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:14 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Okay so a few beers later I had the hull design completed, then I set to work on some ideas for the wheelhouse.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:39 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
I came up with three concepts for the wheelhouse, and let my wife choose the shape, smokestack, and color scheme. Since this is the first R/C hobby she has wanted to get into, I'm building this boat for her.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:44 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
And the chosen design..

I'll be adding portholes, but this is the basic idea.