HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:59 AM
highflyin505
Albuquerque, N.M.
Joined Sep 2009
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comm69
What brand battery and did he need to open up the battery slot?
Gary is running the new 30c hyperion batterys and they are 5c charge capable and im sorry but I dont know if he had to open it up some or not.
highflyin505 is offline Find More Posts by highflyin505
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:55 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas
Dude... you just had me dig through my battery box to find something.. I forgot that I have some Hextronic 3s 460s that have never neen used. I just slid the pack into the battery bay, it is snug but does fit. The end of the pack sits just flush with the opening for the battery lead. I think that I will have to wire these up and hope the wind dies down this afternoon!!

edit: 85w at 8.5 amps... can't wait for the wind to die down!!!

Mark
I'm guessing those Hextronics were a variant of the Zippy/Rhino/FlightMax/Turnigy/etc... However, those variants come in slightly different thicknesses.

8.5 amps...kinda scary. My SuperSimple 10A ESC is actually 8amps continuous and 10A peak so I would have to stay away from max throttle. I guess I can probably change the "Travel Adjust" on my DX7's if its on the menu or go with helicopter setting so I can set it on "Throttle Curve" to keep myself from accidentally burning out my ESC. Of course, at 8amps draw rate on a 460mah will hit LVC in about 3.5 minutes

I was about to hit checkout on HC for some 610mah 2S before reading about peep using 3S. For everyone flying on 3S, more reports please. Until then I'll just widen the lipo slot to fit my 750mah 2S so I can fly this bad boy. 5.5hrs until "WARKHAWK" is in hand
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:42 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,509 Posts
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Nov 02, 2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:15 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,767 Posts
"WARKHAWK" in hand

Seems like only yesterday that someone posted a pic of the ad for this plane in a magazine. I said to myself, I'll skip this plane but what do you know...

Boy is this plane small and so light. No one mentioned that the 2mm female banana plug for the ESC side was included but I was glad to see that it was. In light of this, I changed my mind about soldering ESC directly to motor. Extra rubber band for wing/fuselage connection is included...nice. I took a few tries at pushing my Rhino 750mah 2S in but the width of the canopy opening itself it on the small side so no use messing up the fuselage by splitting it down the centerline trying to do so. I went ahead and placed an order for some 610mah 2S. I'm still curious about the small 3S but that will have to be another time. Thus, my maiden will be delayed by a couple of week

Here's a few pic of what greets you as you open the box.

This thread was the most active last week when this plane came in stock but now the PZ Bf109 is the most active. Good thing, I'm getting that care package in 2 days
Last edited by dude_109; Sep 29, 2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:34 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Anybody know what Kv the included motor is?
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:05 AM
Joined Aug 2006
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109
By this thread was the most active last week when this plane came in stock but now the PZ Bf109 is the most active. Good thing, I'm getting that care package in 2 days

I've been staring at the BF-109 hanging from the ceiling at our shop pretty hard.. I sorta wish I held off on the p-40 and got the 109 instead.. oh well buyers remorse hasn't been this much fun before.. Just need these winds the midwest has been having to die down, WAY to much for this little bird.
Chago is offline Find More Posts by Chago
Last edited by Chago; Sep 29, 2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:37 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chago
.. Just need these winds the midwest has been having to die down, WAY to much for this little bird.
You're not kidding on the wind part. I don't know how ATIS flew in 7-10mph winds in his video, but I'm afraid to fly my Alfa in that wind. I've been caught at the field with only my Alfa and the wind picked up but the flight was stressful and not fun at all. The good thing is most summer time day break where I live, there is no wind. Winter is another story. Last winter, the lowest wind in months that I saw was 5mph. If this winter is the same, Warkhawk will get to sit on the shelf lots. Good thing it has a nice display stand.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:36 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Do all of the boxes that people have now still say "WarKhawk?

I am psyched to fly this baby...just waiting for the mail to come with my servos.

Anyone else a P-40 nut around here? I'm tempted to pick up one of those sweet little Plantraco Classroom fighter sets so I would have a tiny one to go with this Eflite 300 size, GWS-40 (400), and Kyosho 7lb (50 size).
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:07 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
It says "warkhawk" on the sides, but on what is the top flap of the box it says "warhawk" I think it's funny and really not that big of deal. The plane is really fun to fly. I am a total P-40 nut lets see I have the GWS P-40 up and flying, an FSK P-40, then there is this Eflite P-40, a little 16" Guillows P-40 rubberband powered I built that I am thinking about converting to rc (winter project), and about 12 static P-40 models on display in the garage-mahal (rc workshop)
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:47 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
It says "warkhawk" on the sides, but on what is the top flap of the box it says "warhawk" I think it's funny and really not that big of deal. The plane is really fun to fly. I am a total P-40 nut lets see I have the GWS P-40 up and flying, an FSK P-40, then there is this Eflite P-40, a little 16" Guillows P-40 rubberband powered I built that I am thinking about converting to rc (winter project), and about 12 static P-40 models on display in the garage-mahal (rc workshop)
Cool stuff, Skywarp! Is that Guillows one a stick and tissue kit? Care to share any pictures? What electronics gear do you think you'll use?

It's just the ultimate WWII warbird, isn't it??
We all know others outperformed it... but it's just such a great looking shape.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:24 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
It is the stick and tissue. Since it is currently rubberband powered I will have to cut into it to mod it. Or I may just build another one (can't have too many P-40's) and an idea I have is to build the fuse stick and tissue, but make the wings and vertical/horizontal stabs out of foam. I haven't researched what gear I want to use yet but I will save all of this for another thread. Can't find the pictures I know I have taken of it when I do I will post it on a edit so as not to take this thread too far off.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:15 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Maiden flight

Just got back from flying my P-40 'Warkhawk' for the first time. Was a short flight as there was mild drizzle and a slight 4mph wind. Caught a little break from the rain for about 5 minutes and threw it in the air.

Hand launch was fine at 3/4 throttle. Threw it up a little harder than I needed but it worked out alright. Brought the plane around for a few turns both wide and abrupt, then a loop and a roll. Overall I was impressed. I am not a very experienced flyer - this is my third plane. The size is perfect as there are not many wide open spaces here in the city which means I can take it out quickly to a nearby empty soccer field for a few flights here and there.

Oh yeah, landing was a breeze. Came in low, cut throttle and glided in with just a little up elev at the very end. Also, on 2S, this little plane is plenty fast for me at the moment.

Good times.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:33 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5 Posts
I was at Hodges Electric Fly-in last weekend and there was vendor there selling a 500mAh 2 cell Lipo for $15.00 that fits perfect in the E-Flite P-40.
Here is the web site.
www.gwsprops.com
drcspeed is offline Find More Posts by drcspeed
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:09 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,509 Posts
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Nov 02, 2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:32 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus
JHand launch was fine at 3/4 throttle. Threw it up a little harder than I needed but it worked out alright.
Can you explain this statement more? I'm not understanding what could be bad with throwing too hard. The quicker you get wind over the wing, the more torque roll is countered isn't it?