SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2002, 08:38 AM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
V-tail question?

A guy was at the park the other day with a new firebird XL. He was new to r/c and asked me to help him. I checked the controls and they seemed backwards to me, but he insisted that they were right according to the instructions. Upon flying it he was right. On this plane only one surface moves at a time. Here's my question.

When the right elevator goes up, does it act like a rudder and make the the tail move right and the right wing rise rolling the plane left, or does it act like an elevator and, push the horizontal stab down rolling the plane right?

Thanks,

Bill
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2002, 09:38 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,692 Posts
For elevator control in V-tail, both control surfaces must move up or down simultaneously, just like in a conventional elevator.
For right rudder, the left surface moves up, and the right surface moves down; likewise, left rudder means right side up, left side down.

Dieter Mahlein
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:06 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,465 Posts
Here's what you must see for a vee-tail for rudder .
http://rcgallery.net/showphoto.php?p...=&sort=1&size=
The way I check is to hold the plane so the surface being checked is vertical, as if it were a vertical fin. Then deflect the surface normally, and see that a left command gives a left deflection.
Doing it "intuitively" winds up with a pile of sticks about 2 seconds after launch. Ask how I know!
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:14 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
However the Firebird's control surfaces are prevented from going below horizontal. That is why they get away with using one servo.
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Dec 13, 2002, 01:59 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FlyByMike
However the Firebird's control surfaces are prevented from going below horizontal. That is why they get away with using one servo.
That's true on the Firebird but not on the E-gull. Both surfaces move opposite each other on the E-gull with a single wire that moves forward and backward but with control horns on opposite sides of each control surface. One horn points up, the other points down. Firebird only happens one at a time and as indicated does not go below horizontal. The E-gull is more sensitive while flying and let's you get out of a thermal easier than the Firebird II. Ask how we know... One list Firebird....

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2002, 05:49 PM
Account disabled
Arkansas
Joined Nov 2002
141 Posts
v-tail

This could get as confusing as setting up a horizontal stab on the nose...canard...
It just does not look right...But it is...
E
E=IXR is offline Find More Posts by E=IXR
Old Dec 14, 2002, 12:58 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
an upright v-tail does tend to roll the aircraft opposite to the turn input (a little), but it won't scrape on landing like an inverted one
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon