SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:56 AM
Joined Jul 2006
345 Posts
Discussion
Cheap battery pack?

I have about 12 of these 2600 mAh rechargeable Ni-Mh AAs and I was wondering if I put 8 of them in a battery pack would it be able to power a 15 or 20A esc. Or is it not possible to use regular rechargeables for battery packs.

Thanks in advance
-Mike
tosjduenfs is offline Find More Posts by tosjduenfs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:58 AM
Joined Jul 2006
345 Posts
Woops, I guess I should have put this in the Battery section.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:07 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,615 Posts
You can try. Maybe consumer AA batteries have gotten better...

However, I've done this in the past with 2500 mAH Energizer AA batteries and found that the discharge rate just wasn't there. If your plane only needed up to 10 amps, you got great duration but if you needed more like 20 amps it would bog down dramatically and start causing the ESC to trigger it's Low Voltage Cutoff.

In my case, I was trying to build a cheap battery pack for my Slinger after I had gone brushless with it. I ended up getting the Great Planes 1800mAh 8 Cell pack for it instead - much better discharge rate which meant much better flying!

Of course now-a-days LIPO is the way to go for power to weight. But they cost a lot more and you have to be more careful with them.

I found it was better just to buy the correct battery pack for the application - it just works better!
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:14 AM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
You could get four more than make two eight cell packs. Parallel wire them and that could give you the amount of discharge you need. It would also double the capacity of the battery pack. However it would also increase the weight by double as well.
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:21 AM
Joined Jul 2006
345 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it when I get the chance.