Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Jul 2014
12 Posts
Discussion
Banana Plug and Wire size?

Hello All:

I'm a newbie, so please bear with me.

I recently just bought a ICharger 4010 duo. The duo comes with a 10 gauge charging wire with EC5 connector on one end and bare lead on the other end, so I want to solder a pair of banana plug to it.

I also bought a 1500w /24V Dell server power supply (2 in series) and it uses a 12 gauge wire with banana plug on both end to make them in a series. It comes with an extra pair of banana plug.

My problem is, it seems like the banana plug for the 12 gauge is a bit smaller for the 10 gauge wire?

Is there a different size banana plug for the 10 gauge wire?

Sorry, I'm really new at this, any advice is greatly appreciate it.
lmxu is online now Find More Posts by lmxu
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 05:03 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
A banana plug is 4 mm. Anything else is not a "banana plug". Similarly shaped pins and sockets come in a range of sizes - 1 mm, 2 mm, 3.5 mm, 4.5 mm & 5 mm.

XT60 connectors use 3.5 mm pins and sockets. EC5 has 5 mm pins and sockets, XT90 4.5 mm pins and sockets.

You talk about plugs, where are the sockets that they plug into?

The gauges of wire mentioned could be used with 3.5 mm or 4 mm connectors.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mac50L; Today at 05:08 AM.
Old Today, 12:57 PM
Joined Jul 2014
12 Posts
Thanks Mac.

The banana plugs that I want to solder on, will plug into the power supply which looks like the first picture below. The wire that connects the two power supplies in the picture is 12 gauge.

The charging cable looks like the one in the second picture with EC5 on one end (EC5 connects to my ICharger), so I want to solder a pair of banana plug on the bare end to plug put into the power supply.
Last edited by lmxu; Today at 01:03 PM.
Old Today, 03:35 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
Providing those are 4 mm sockets on the power supply there should be no problem soldering on 2 banana plugs to the wire in the second picture. You could check the inside diameter of the sockets, using calipers/vernier gauge on the power supply just to be sure. Even a metric ruler should be good enough to check. There's a Radioshack in Lincoln that should stock banana plugs
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Today, 05:01 PM
Joined Jul 2014
12 Posts
Thanks Mac. Just checked and it is 4mm.

I just tried to solder the 4mm banana plug to the 10 gauge wire, a bit difficult, it barely fit, but I managed to get it in.

Thanks a lot for your help!!