HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2014, 06:55 AM
Joined Sep 2014
7 Posts
Question
Micro AS3X vs wind conditions

now I know the as3x corrects for wind gusting,
so will these little units correct for flying in greater wind conditions , say up to 15 mph?
ipeifer is offline Find More Posts by ipeifer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:22 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
886 Posts
To a great degree, yes, the AS3X technology smooths out turbulent air while an equipped airplane flies. Lately I have been flying micro aircraft in higher winds speeds then I ever used too. The UMX Pitts from Horizon Hobby has impressed me with how stable it is in winds well over 5 mph. At times with barely any ground speed.

IMO, the closer the wind speed gets to the airplanes flying speed the less fun flying is. Hovering doesn't keep my interest for long
CorvetteC5 is online now Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Sep 28, 2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:46 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipeifer View Post
now I know the as3x corrects for wind gusting,
so will these little units correct for flying in greater wind conditions , say up to 15 mph?
Yeah, to a degree it works. If you're good at flying the sbach you could probably fly in 30mph winds with it. Doesn't mean that it will be much fun. For small turbulence and light breezes it's great. The 1 cell planes won't do as well as the 2s with the exception of the Radian. It flies great when it's still, but I find it more interesting to fly that one when the air is moving at least a little bit. The other planes, any winds are negative.
bobbutts is offline Find More Posts by bobbutts
Old Sep 29, 2014, 04:58 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
382 Posts
Copied this from the UMX Radian thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
Spent an enjoyable weekend with my little Radian down on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Perfect NE winds all weekend....ranging from 5-25mph. The Radian took it all into stride and it was a blast. I could work my way up the dune line a few hundred yards and then my old-man-eyesight-fear kicked in and then I bring it back...over my head....and down the other dune line. Back and forth....looks boring but what fun to tweak every last drop of slope lift. I probably got a solid half hour on a Lectron Pro 180. Only time I used the throttle was to save myself a few times and then a quick burst to make sure I was no where close to running out of juice.

Sloping the little Radian (and his big brother) on the dunes on the beach with a clean ocean breeze is a magical experience. Don't go to a beach with your Radian!

One-handed cell phone video, stabilized in YouTube. Forgive the extraneous crap and the 'breathing' effect from YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EvIsnFgOGA
bobbutts is offline Find More Posts by bobbutts
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Only time I used the throttle was to save myself a few times and then a quick burst to make sure I was no where close to running out of juice.
sopyretuen is offline Find More Posts by sopyretuen
Old Sep 30, 2014, 06:28 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,897 Posts
I've put my Pitts and Beast up while any 40 sized plane was up in whatever wind they can handle. This is where they really shine.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2