HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2013, 03:36 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,677 Posts
Discussion
Lucky

Luckily , I managed to get my hands on a 'Lucky'. Some of you may remember it?

Shes loves the light air, is very aerobatic, and slows down nicely for the low passes. A very relaxed flyer and perfect for our local lift deprived slope.

Span is 2m, weight about 950g.

Music is something appropriate for a relaxing evening cruising. Enjoy!

Vid was shot in 8-10mph.

Lucky (5 min 49 sec)
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:10 PM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,056 Posts
Very nice relaxed flying........scored one of these last spring. That just inspired me to dig it out and get it ready. It's the Multiplex kit right?
Judging by the landing it looked like flaps are not missed at all!
Wanted to converted mine to cross tail though.

Any thoughts?

LP
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
Last edited by Slope P; Nov 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:08 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
It was a shame they stopped production. The Lucky was a very nice plane.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Nov 14, 2013, 01:41 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slope P View Post
Very nice relaxed flying........scored one of these last spring. That just inspired me to dig it out and get it ready. It's the Multiplex kit right?
Judging by the landing it looked like flaps are not missed at all!
Wanted to converted mine to cross tail though.

Any thoughts?

LP
Multiplex, Yes.
Yes, the rudder performance of the v tail is definately noticeably poorer, than say of my voltij/acrostar even the pace VX aerobats which sport an X tail. Hammerheads though possible are a little uninspiring due to the lack of kick. However other manoeuvres requiring less authority, ie hesitation rolls etc are crisp and clean.
I tried a few combinations of spolierons/elevator compensations, found it was up aileron with a little down elevator worked best.
I'm very pleased with it, as I said before, it's not a big hill model, it becomes lost on bigger slopes, but as a scratcher in light lift on small hills, its perfect. One noticeable point of its performance is it wants to rise in the lightest lift patch. She has an RG15/12 section I beleive.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:56 AM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,056 Posts
Jumbo,

Thanks for the info.......I always find myself wishing for more rudder authority on pretty much all of my V-tailed gliders other than small 60".
Will for sure put a X tail now for sure.....doesn't really take that much more work. As a matter of fact as you know the intire model doesn't take much work at all.
Did you reinforced the fuse in any way? Do remember reading somewhere that behind trailing edge is a weak spot. Agree?

LP
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:44 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,677 Posts
Yes, i added two pieces of 1inch carbon tape down the fuz inside the wing seat to strengthen up the mid section.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:07 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,750 Posts
I found the opposite experience with the MPX Lucky. It doesn't do well in light lift, but really comes to it's own on high wind, big lift days!

Multiplex Lucky at Mission.avi (0 min 29 sec)
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:27 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
Had one a long time ago. The fuse was thin and brittle. I remember laying a bunch of carbon in it from the get-go. Builds out really light for a 2m and with all that wing area, I suspect it will like ballast on better days.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:01 PM
Great, kid! Don't get Cocky!
Joined Sep 2006
526 Posts
Yup, good birds. Still have mine, although I haven't flown it in a couple of years. Think it might be time to get it out again after seeing these vids. By the way, the Lucky will do one hell of a tight flat spin. Just make sure you have LOTS of altitude for recovery.

Solo
HahnSolo is offline Find More Posts by HahnSolo
Old Nov 15, 2013, 04:18 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,677 Posts
Sail High, Screaming Eagle, you guys may be right, it may well fly in big winds, thanks for the vid,
but i doubt ill be flying my lucky when wind gets over 20mph, as i also have its big brother, some real lost and found (by me) slope unobtanium, unflown (so far and mint), which loves big air

HahnSolo, yes, the spins really are good, very aerobatic and will do everything in the book as long as you note that the rudder is a little weak. I really wrung it out on a windier day and it flew very well, on the day i shot that vid nothing though as the ridge lift didnt go too high.
Inverted is really great, completely handsoff.

Lucky and big brother, weights/spans are 2m and 950g, 2.2m and 2.25kg.

Lucky and Acrostar by slopeflyer12, on Flickr