SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2013
16 Posts
Leading Edge Repair - Help

I recently joined the rank of "mid-air survivor" pilot with my 3.2 pro ref. It is not as bad as seen in previous reports but bad enough.

Most repairs are complete but I do not know how to approach the repair of a crushed leading edge without cutting through the material. There is a 6 inch section in the leading edge that feels there in no rib or support where there should be.

Do any of our fellow Pulsar owners have a trick up there sleeve to correct this? It has been suggested to put a little squirt of spray foam.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Jim Velleman is offline Find More Posts by Jim Velleman
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 03:43 AM
Australia, NSW, Galston
Joined Apr 2014
21 Posts
I had the same issue to deal with. posts 1068 through 1094 has some info. the bit below is my comments from #1081.

For centre 1.4 metre section I carefully peeled back the top section of Carbon/ aramid which proved to be quite flexible - removed all broken short ribs and one undamaged one for a template and made up a set. in my case the actual box section (spar) was sound - the fuze seemed to take most of the damage in this area.
Replaced ribs by gluing in bottom plus back only with high strength epoxy and later coated front/top of ribs and glue line for aramid cover - pulled tight and taped regularly onto back of D box. Once all solid, addressed the rear ribs. These had been loosely aligned, and the split in central rib/ mounting section had been repaired and re-carbon sheeted to keep front section aligned. I had earlier removed most of the red cover film. the replacement film Ultracote HANU 950 transparent red and HANU 952 tr. yellow are a good match.

I would not use spray foam. there are two ribs in the D section for every rib in the transparent section.
Do not cut the aramid threads (that support the spar) when you peel back Kevlar/ Carbon sheeting.
Espiar is offline Find More Posts by Espiar
Last edited by Espiar; Today at 03:56 AM.