HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiorion View Post
If I'm going to purchase a Walkera branded Heli smaller is better and invest in a healthy supply of parts right away.

Otherwise spend the same as all that but on something better.

Ok.

But in the fixed pitch world what would qualify as better quality than a Walkera brand? Right now I'm enjoying a 9116 crash free and have parts a-plenty for it.

Where do I go now?
The 9116 is over-stabilized and has little movement authority. You may be enjoying it, but it's not representative of how RC helis fly.

In the fixed pitch world, there are no hobby manufacturers making flybar FP helis and there isn't any good reason to buy a flybarless FP heli over a flybarless CP heli. If you must have FP, quads are your best bet. They are taking over the FP market because they out-perform conventional FP helis.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiorion View Post
If I'm going to purchase a Walkera branded Heli smaller is better and invest in a healthy supply of parts right away.

Otherwise spend the same as all that but on something better.

Ok.

But in the fixed pitch world what would qualify as better quality than a Walkera brand? Right now I'm enjoying a 9116 crash free and have parts a-plenty for it.

Where do I go now?
I don't know how big the DH 9116 really is. But i would ask yourself what you want to do when flying. Do you want to go into 3D? If so i would go straight away into a simulator and start learning there before buying a bigger CP heli. But i would definitely go CP. For one a CP heli mitigates the wind much better than a FP does. It's not all that different when you get into flying a CP. It's just you CAN and will tip over if you let the heli tip. But you will eventually get brave enough to do a flip or a loop or something. With the FP you will be limited. I would not keep spending money on a FP but you should decide what you want to fly size wise. For flying inside without worry of damaging anything the Blade nano CPX is pretty nice. The bigger 130X is kind of problematic. The V120D02S once upgraded with a slipper clutch can be flown indoors but is more dangerous and will cut you and break things. But the V120D02S is probably one of the best little micro CP/3D helicopters around. I would start with one of those. With the 3 axis gyro if you can get it. But the 6 axis is not so bad for learning. Some people have problems with fast forward flight with the 6 axis version. Otherwise bigger helicopters will cost you time and money for each crash. You really have to decide if you want to eventually go the 3D route or if scale type flight or even scale models would be more your thing. I strongly recommend a simulator for learning how to fly either way. Phoenix simulator is the norm it seems and it's pretty accurate in my opinion. At least for the models that are available.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
The issues pointed out are well known and widely documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I don't see any bashing here. The issues pointed out are well known and widely documented. Are we supposed to keep them a secret when asked? Some people find Walkera gives them adequate value for their money, many do not. The number one issue is frequent product churning, which I doubt anyone can refute.
If people are bashing Walkera, then they must own one as I do and can and will about them.

What isn't being well documented, is the fact that there is a Walkera web site, that is ripping people off by selling those sub quality Walkera Heli's and telling you, and this is only, mind you, if things are going good(not failing), they will stand behind you till you get your heli in the air, that includes motor failures, servo failures, structural failures, blah, blah, blah... but in true fact when it does fail, they tell you, you don't have the right to question the supposed new product you just bought. The fact that it only lasted less than 5 minutes after adding the battery(The RX/Gyro failed, the most expensive part on the whole heli) doesn't matter, and this is on a supposedly new(You should see the swashplate damage! got pics) V450D01. I was frankly told "what you see, is what you get. If it didn't last, too bad. You entered into a contract, you opened the box, it's yours". Websites like this NEEDS to be documented, so others will not be ripped off as I have. Not that this is relevant, but this was to be my first flybarless for scaling. Think I'll stick to the 450 flybar for now and keep building my own heli's from kits, I have MUCH better luck.

RTF? Flight testing? Nope. Not from this site. Even the remote wasn't pre-programmed.

If what I have written here has any chance of saving someone the heartaches, frustrations and money that I have gone through in a hobby I love dearly, then I have done a service, if not, throw some of that money my way, I could use a new flybarless heli that actually works and trust me, it will not be a Walkera.

If you wish to know which web site this is, leave private mail.

P.S. Hopefully I didn't cross the line with this post this time.
RodneyJ is offline Find More Posts by RodneyJ
Last edited by RodneyJ; Nov 13, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:38 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyJ View Post
If people are bashing Walkera, then they must own one like I do and can about them.

What isn't being well documented, is the fact that there is a Walkera web site, that is ripping people off by selling those sub quality Walkera Heli's and telling you, and this is only, mind you, if things are going good(not failing), they will stand behind you till you get your heli in the air, that includes motor failures, servo failures, structural failures, blah, blah, blah... but in true fact when it does fail, they tell you, you don't have the right to question the supposed new product you just bought. The fact that it only lasted less than 5 minutes after adding the battery(The RX/Gyro failed, the most expensive part on the whole heli) doesn't matter, and this is on a supposedly new(You should see the swashplate damage! got pics) V450D01. I was frankly told "what you see, is what you get. If it didn't last, too bad. You entered into a contract, you opened the box, it's yours". Websites like this NEEDS to be documented, so others will not be ripped off as I have. Not that this is relevant, but this was to be my first flybarless for scaling. Think I'll stick to the 450 flybar for now and keep building my own heli's from kits, I have MUCH better luck.

RTF? Flight testing? Nope. Not from this site. Even the remote wasn't pre-programmed.

If what I have written here has any chance of saving someone the heartaches, frustrations and money that I have gone through in a hobby I love dearly, then I have done a service, if not, throw some of that money my way, I could use a new flybarless heli that actually works and trust me, it will not be a Walkera.

If you wish to know which web site this is, leave private mail.

P.S. Hopefully I didn't cross the line with this post this time.

It's probably helipal or someone. It doen't matter because it's not the vendor's fault the manufacturer doesn't support anything. Since the vendor can't get support they can't give you any either. Which is why most Walkera dealers seem a little shady in comparison to, say a real LHS that sells Align or other products that, since dealing with them, always seem to just hand you a new part or whatever and say "have a nice day" where as, with Walkera there is always some story or excuse. I really don't blame the vendors, some are horrible. But most are just doing the best they can. If your outside the US there is a problem. But inside the US, your LHS and horizon will stand behind their products more than anyone i have seen in this hobby so far.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:42 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
There's some good info' on here.
I don't like the Gaui X5, but I do, I don't, yes, agreed, no, no, 69
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:54 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
4 Minutes till Wapner.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:51 AM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
The Vendor or Not the Vendor, that is the question

Well, I would have to agree, but then I don't. In this case, it IS the vendor and no, not helipal. I stated once before whom it was and it was promptly deleted, so I will not state it here again in fear of being, gulp, deleted. They placed hyped claims all over the web site stating they will stand behind you just to get you to buy their product, but in fact, don't. The whole web site is a hyped lie that I just can not let get by without stating SOMETHING to someone, whom will be spared the frustration. I have a Devo 7 and 10, several RX's but only one Walkera V450D01 that I was going to scale, now sitting on the shelf with a failed rx/gyro.It smoked the elevator servo. Being profoundly hearing impaired, I couldn't hear the servo buzzing to beat the band. Didn't realize it was the rx/gyro till I replaced the servo and it tried to beat the band again, but this time, I was holding it, so I saved that one, and that is when things went down hill with unsaid web site, which in turn brings me here. I'd rather be flying than !! The V450D01 never made it out of the basement when it died. Buggers.
Last edited by RodneyJ; Nov 13, 2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:32 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,124 Posts
Quote:
Well, I would have to agree, but then I don't. In this case, it IS the vendor and no, not helipal. I stated once before whom it was and it was promptly deleted, so I will not state it here again in fear of being, gulp, deleted. They placed hyped claims all over the web site stating they will stand behind you just to get you to buy their product, but in fact, don't. The whole web site is a hyped lie that I just can not let get by without stating SOMETHING to someone, whom will be spared the frustration. I have a Devo 7 and 10, several RX's but only one Walkera V450D01 that I was going to scale, now sitting on the shelf with a failed rx/gyro.It smoked the elevator servo. Being profoundly hearing impaired, I couldn't hear the servo buzzing to beat the band. Didn't realize it was the rx/gyro till I replaced the servo and it tried to beat the band again, but this time, I was holding it, so I saved that one, and that is when things went down hill with unsaid web site, which in turn brings me here. I'd rather be flying than !! The V450D01 never made it out of the basement when it died. Buggers.
I have a 2702V you can have. It works and everything. As long as you keep it within 5 feet of the TX.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
4 Minutes till Wapner.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Stop it, LMAO.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Deleted
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 14, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:32 PM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
i have a 2702v you can have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityhndywrk View Post
i have a 2702v you can have. It works and everything. As long as you keep it within 5 feet of the tx.
LOL... that's okay. Thanks, but the 2702V isn't compatible with the Devo; Guess maybe that's why you said 5 ft.

Been looking at the 2703V-D. It's said to have 3 & 6 axis for 3D and Scaling in one rx/gyro. Just waiting to hear the flack on that one. That shouldn't take long.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
but I do, I don't, yes, agreed, no, no, 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
LMAO.....Now That's funny!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,124 Posts
Quote:
LOL... that's okay. Thanks, but the 2702V isn't compatible with the Devo; Guess maybe that's why you said 5 ft.

Been looking at the 2703V-D. It's said to have 3 & 6 axis for 3D and Scaling in one rx/gyro. Just waiting to hear the flack on that one. That shouldn't take long.
Honestly i would avoid it. The best thing you can do (take my advice or don't) would be to buy a RX801 or RX701 and a good gyro. The Tarot ZYX and Robird are making waves in the "cheap" category. While i will continue to advocate the BeastX that i know is superior to Walkera gyros in MANY ways. I'm positive that the ZYX and Robird will also be better than the Walkera gyros. Because not all gyros are created equal. The ZYX would be my current suggestion if you are pimping on a budget. It will probably only run you around $100 for a ZYX and a Devo RX to go with it.

The 2703V uses the same gyros as the 2702V, basically. They work! Thats all, no piro compensation or anything like that. If you already know how to fly, avoid anything with a 6 axis gyro unless it's made by Skookum Robotics. The 6 axis is problematic in fast forward flight and banking with Walkera RX. But if you ARE still learning and will be while before you move into very fast forward flight and steep banking turns. The 6 Axis by walkera is not so bad.

And NO! The reason the 2702V will only make it 5 feet is because Walkera has random defects with their RX/Gyro units like this. Out of 5 2702V units, only 2 of them would fly more than 5 flights without locking the TX out completely and shutting down/crashing within 30 seconds of leaving my heli pad.

Like i said. I'm not trying to bash Walkera here. I am never "Bashing" Walkera except on their customer service, technical support, warranties and lies. All of which warrant "Bashing" if it's true right? I really don't intend to change your mind. But you should do some research. I promise you will not regret a ZYX and devo Rx701/RX801 setup over a walkera Rx/gyro unit. I don't know your current level of skill. But consider this. When a child gets his first bike, do the training wheels get mounted permanantly? Or are they made to come off? My point is, you WILL eventually want a better gyro if your only learning now. Wouldn't it just be better to have one already then to deal with the problems later?

Right now, i consider the 6 axis a problematic gyro system by Walkera. But i still have not flown one. The consensus is that random 6 axis gyros will produce the dred "6 axis effect" while others don't experience it. The "6 axis effect" makes the heli act like it's hitting an invisible wall. Or in FFF it will attempt to level the helicopter out and will cause flight anomalies because of it or drift out farther then you would like in a bank turn. Apparently it's great for stationary 3D though. Another thing to consider and research is weather or not the 2703V-D has gyro reverse switches, if you plan on installing Align/Savox servos. You will need gyro reverse settings. Last time i saw a picture of a 2703V-D, it didn't have those dip switches anymore like the 2702V has.

You will definately be happier with a RX and separate gyro setup on there. Trust me, there is plenty of room and the heli will fly much nicer with a ZYX over a walkera gyro. The only thing is, you will have a learning curve on setting up the gyro. It's not as easy as a 2702V / 2703V. If anyone is an "Authority" on the v450d01 around here. It's probably me. Like i said, i'm not trying to change your mid. You will fly just fine with the 2703V too. I just think you would be happier spending about the same amount of money and learning how to set up the ZYX or robird. Until i try those 2 gyros, my main advise would be get a BeastX gyro. But i know people have an issue with spending that much money on a single unit. So did i, until i flew one.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:47 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,241 Posts
The design of the rx 2703 seems to be simpler than the the 2702. I suspect that you cannot tell the FBL system which way to compensate as you can do for the 2702. This is similar to the rx2618 and could make installation quite tricky on a third party helicopter. I suspect the price of the 2703 will be much lower than the 2702 as well. Your best bet is still to use a third party FBL system.

I would be a bit reluctant to say that there will definitely be something wrong with the 6 axis system on the rx2703. The 6 axis compensation has mainly been reported for the V120D02S. Most users of the Master CP have not reported it. A friend of mine who is an ex-F3C competitor put the V450D03 through some F3C moves and could not see any undue compensation at all. You have to fly long, deep, and fast for F3C and so it should have been apparent if it were there. My experience with the 6 axis V120D02S is that it is much better for moving 3D than stationary 3D. In fact, DK said that Manny could do much more 3D with the 6 axis V120D02S than the 3 axis V120D02S.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:16 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The design of the rx 2703 seems to be simpler than the the 2702. I suspect that you cannot tell the FBL system which way to compensate as you can do for the 2702. This is similar to the rx2618 and could make installation quite tricky on a third party helicopter. I suspect the price of the 2703 will be much lower than the 2702 as well. Your best bet is still to use a third party FBL system.

I would be a bit reluctant to say that there will definitely be something wrong with the 6 axis system on the rx2703. The 6 axis compensation has mainly been reported for the V120D02S. Most users of the Master CP have not reported it. A friend of mine who is an ex-F3C competitor put the V450D03 through some F3C moves and could not see any undue compensation at all. You have to fly long, deep, and fast for F3C and so it should have been apparent if it were there. My experience with the 6 axis V120D02S is that it is much better for moving 3D than stationary 3D. In fact, DK said that Manny could do much more 3D with the 6 axis V120D02S than the 3 axis V120D02S.
This is true too. Since availability is limited. At least in the US. It seems no one is carrying the RX yet and not many carry the heli, if any at all in the US. There is not enough testers to complain yet. So we don't know if there will be any. But still keep in mind. Those types of flight abnormalities have been random for the most part. Seeming to pop up with some people, but in a majority, people seem fine with them. I'm still perplexed by this anomaly and what the cause is.