HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:51 PM
There was a crease in the plan
Joined Jun 2010
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop View Post
I am going to say that there is probably alot of people that have had a great deal of luck with there crapy china products. Me myself have had great luck with my Turnigy lipos, motors and escs, and have them in planes that have close to 100 flights on them as well without issue. Every one is entitled to there own opinion, but most of the more critical people in this thread are known for mostly flying high end expensive products and more than likely dont shop at hobby king. So how can you be so critical on products you dont use?
If all of these cheap china products were banned there would be alot of us on the sidelines watching you guys fly your several thousand dollar jets.
From what I can see this does not look like a direct copy of anything. Stu proved the worth of electric multiblade fans, the Dynamax proved to be good, but nobody knew how good it was until the right motor was found for it.

One thing I do know is that there is now a larger market share for quality fans because the market has expanded, the market has expanded because of the lower cost fans.

There will always be a market for high quality anything, if you wanted a Rolex and you could easily afford one, would you buy a look a like? I think not.

So, unless there is evidence that these things blow up at the mearest hint of decent power, lets let the not so well off fly nicer sounding fans and help preserve flying sites for our expensive setups.
Steve Haynes is offline Find More Posts by Steve Haynes
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:52 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
I have a garage full of planes and fly at three clubs
I have a pretty good idea on what works and doesn't

I'm not proud to say that on my cheaper planes I have ordered motors, lipos and ESC from hobby king... results have been mixed. Some of it's ok.

My point is if your buying a plane that can take a 120 mm it's not cheap, don't buy cheap servos, cheap ESC, cheap motors and fans and expect to fly it weekend after weekend at over 100 amps... maybe some get lucky, but some have tons of problems, I've seen them.

EDF is one of the harshes environments the our equipment can see.... when they get large I don't skimp out. I can understand wanting a cheaper good sounding fan for a cheap 90mm plane like a hobby lobby eurofighter.....but they should come up with the own design, this thing is a total rip off

and with 120 mm pushing over 4000, 5000, 6000 watts forget it
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
I have a garage full of planes and fly at three clubs
I have a pretty good idea on what works and doesn't

I'm not proud to say that on my cheaper planes I have ordered motors, lipos and ESC from hobby king... results have been mixed. Some of it's ok.

My point is if your buying a plane that can take a 120 mm it's not cheap, don't buy cheap servos, cheap ESC, cheap motors and fans and expect to fly it weekend after weekend at over 100 amps... maybe some get lucky, but some have tons of problems, I've seen them.

EDF is one of the harshes environments the our equipment can see.... when they get large I don't skimp out. I can understand wanting a cheaper good sounding fan for a cheap 90mm plane like a hobby lobby eurofighter.....but they should come up with the own design, this thing is a total rip off

and with 120 mm pushing over 4000, 5000, 6000 watts forget it
They are just meeting the demand and aspirations of a market sector the higher quality higher cost fans don't address.

Ron, what was your first EDF?

Were would the wonderful world of EDF be if everybody had to wait 2 months+ for a quality fan to arrive. Who would invest in tooling up for kits, where would the market be for accessories?

You either sell cheap and sell volume or sell expensive and sell quality with a badge. Don't get bent out of shape its the way of the world.
Last edited by Steve Haynes; Oct 11, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:08 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
This is an interesting statement. If it wasnít for HK I couldnít afford to fly. Not all of us can afford what the really nice stuff costs. Iím not saying is bad or complaining about my relative poorness, Iím just grateful for the fact that somehow it is affordable for me to fly electrics.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:12 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
Quote:
They are just meeting the demand and aspirations of a market sector the higher quality higher cost fans don't address.

Ron, what was your first EDF?
Today 04:52 PM
Just wish it could be done with there own design... but I understand

My first EDF was a alfa models mig 15 with a little jet screamer and the 5 blade upgrade rotor... that was a sweet little model. I built about 5 of them, then there F-86 and A-4. fun little planes... and cheap
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:18 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
Quote:
This is an interesting statement. If it wasnít for HK I couldnít afford to fly. Not all of us can afford what the really nice stuff costs. Iím not saying is bad or complaining about my relative poorness, Iím just grateful for the fact that somehow it is affordable for me to fly electrics.
totally understand
When I say I'm not proud, I wish I could always support a US based business... but I like to try to many different products to do that. I buy stuff from around the world because I like to try it all

I have a hard time giving my money to china knowing it was borrowed from them in the first place that's all I meant by it

With the economy what it is I find myself really thinking about what I buy and from who, If I can order a part that is made worldwide from a US based business I feel better about it. Got to keep our brothers in business
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Just wish it could be done with there own design... but I understand

My first EDF was a alfa models mig 15 with a little jet screamer and the 5 blade upgrade rotor... that was a sweet little model. I built about 5 of them, then there F-86 and A-4. fun little planes... and cheap
10 months of R&D don't produce cheap fans Unfortunatly
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:40 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Choices. Options. Nothing better than choice.

Give the new product some time to see field testing, then draw your conclusions.

Injuries:

I have seen guys get hurt with top quality stuff as well as poor quality. Mostly due to neglect of safe practices, and not product origin.

Never trust high speed moving parts. Never.

I'll wait and see. Guys push design limits on all these edf's regularly.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:10 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALECRAFT View Post
Guys push design limits on all these edf's regularly.

Steve

Guilty!!
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:02 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
FF-What size is the adaptor on the 90mm and 120mm if you know? 8mm or 5mm? Collet or set screw?
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
FF-What size is the adaptor on the 90mm and 120mm if you know? 8mm or 5mm? Collet or set screw?
The 90mm is 5mm, but it came put together so I am not sure if it is
collet or set screw, and my original 4 blade 120mm is 8mm collet style.
Not sure what the new one will be.
Flip Flop is online now Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:50 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
...At this kind of power level someone can be seriously injured, look at what happenend to sheppard running a cheap high power 120mm fan... he dam near lost an eye...
So it was concluded it was definitely the fan? The haoye rotor just threw blades for no reason at all?

Also, if anyone happens to throw a blade on the current CS 4 blade fan then its cause they were tryin to shove a Buick in it.

Its 120mm and cost 45 shipped and is on of the safest fans in the market right now.

I wish I listened to my own analysis and spent the time trying to figure out the difference in components vs buying names with a lot of money. I would've spent more time flying and less money doing so...
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:08 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,203 Posts
Just a general comment here.......You guys, who are like me, and appreciate being able to get big performance or nice sound on a limited budget should have been here on RCG about three years ago.

Back then, if you so much as mentioned any brand that didn`t include a family crest in it`s logo, or anything that was available on-line from China or Hong Kong........it was instant flame city from your fellow RCGers.

Times have changed. Now the nay sayers do so under the banner of "safety first", or "buy American", it`s not a blatent attack on the size of your bank account like it use to be. I guess things have improved some anyway.

Stepping down from the soapbox now.

As far as this particular fan goes. I`m in, and will try one out for sure.

Lee
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:00 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,224 Posts
Once in a while you see something that looks original. Rare I know, but I found this a while back. This fan has been around for maybe 2 years and it doesn't appear to be a copy of anything. Too bad they don't work with this as a starting point. I think it looks cool. Just needs more blades.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:06 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,820 Posts
Quote:
When I say I'm not proud, I wish I could always support a US based business...
I see no problem buying products from either China or in my case Sweden. I do smile when people are buying cheap copies explaining the are just as good as the real thing, then launching their EDF sounding like a chainsaw.

I do test alot of products, some are perfect for the task beeing copies from China, others need to be high quality. Even at 10times the price the quality part is well worth the money.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke