SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:21 PM
Joined Jul 2007
324 Posts
Build Log
Flying wing thing. 19"WS miniGbx motor.

Been waiting till a maiden to post. Built this for a miniGBX I wound. Easy to do and fun if you've ever wondered about it. 24g 9T on a 3x3, 3x2 prop.

Saw some wings with tails here and modeled after them, but I can't build, so more simplistic. 1st time trying some glassing on foam, came out well other than pulling it up off some wax paper to early! At least it took some weight off epoxy wise.

Been waiting for a decent day for winds, etc. Finally got one. Some video but it was awful, mostly sky.
1st throw, I had some up trim on the flap switch... to much up trim even at 1mm... it went up and looped out over my head, so I cut power and landed barely. Interesting start! Snapped on blade on prop.
2nd throw, went to a 3x2, and no flap switch. Went off well this time. 3clicks of up trim and 2 left. Flat and stable. Seemed to pitch and even torque roll a bit at WOT but I was also getting some pulse from the lvc setting along with 10-15mph winds.
Seemed to fall out of any loop attempts and vertical up lines it rolled out. I went with a forward cg (3.9") at 1st and wasn't that happy with it honestly. I was happy it was flying ok though!
Coasted in to swap lipo's and it landed fine and didn't break the prop. On low rates I couldn't flare as well as I wanted. Stalls around 6-8mph I guess?
2nd lipo, moved cg back 1/4" to 4.1" from wing tip. I established cg with test glides and then found the cg calc here. Ended up being right on!
Flew MUCH better now imho. Loops, ripping fast rolls. Not as much speed as I had hoped guessing (65'ish mph) but flew level and tracked rather well. Can stall a wing in turns if you go really slow, but its not bad.

Took forever to type a simple maiden day.

Specs: Just drew something I thought looked 'cool' and swept. Then worried I over swept it. Cut out of 3mm cellfoam88, carbon rod down middle, carbon strip (only partial) and balsa on leading edge. Glassed with 1/2oz cloth on both sides over lapping middle and leading edge. Balsa sticks for frame and tail.
19" wingspan
18" length
5.3oz AUW (about an oz over what I guessed/wanted for wing loading)
miniGbx motor 9turn 24g wire.
12amp Mystery esc
460mah Nanotech 3cell
ar6100 rx
2 hxt500 5g servos.
Stall'n_N_Haulin is offline Find More Posts by Stall'n_N_Haulin
Last edited by Stall'n_N_Haulin; Jan 30, 2011 at 04:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:24 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
awesome work man looks like heaps of fun
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85