SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
need some help please. I've been reading way to much and now have myself a little confused. I am flying on 2.4 ghz is it better in the USA to use 5.8ghz or 900mhx fpv system. If i go with the 900mhz system from below link do i need to add blue beam antenna or etc to get good video feed. i live on top of a hill and would mostly be flying at around 100 to 200 feeet elevation and would like to have at least 1 mile range . I can't seem to find a good range of my futaba 2.4 ghz radio either. i don;t have a booster on it nor do i want to add one. I thought about having a friend drive down the road the plane in his car and check but ground obstructions will shorten the effective range that way. any advise greatly appreciated.
J31968 is offline Find More Posts by J31968
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:03 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,445 Posts
The BluBeam antenna set is not a necessity. It never was for any band. It is simply an improvement.

Generally speaking, at 5.8GHz circular polarization offers significant improvements to video quality and 1 mile is very possible on just 100mW. Obstructions such as tree, buildings, and hill will disturb the Fresnel zone and cause significantly reduced range.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:58 AM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
221 Posts
MoRaLeSD is offline Find More Posts by MoRaLeSD
Last edited by MoRaLeSD; Mar 05, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
so I take it your basiclly saying i'm better of sticking with the 5.8mhz instead of 900mhz. i thought I was understanding it that 900 had less reflection issues however only 1 channel is available in the USA. 5.8 has more reflection issues and more channels. BTW should i be concerned witht tehe range of my stock 2.4 ghz radio and do you have any ideas about how to do a good range check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
The BluBeam antenna set is not a necessity. It never was for any band. It is simply an improvement.

Generally speaking, at 5.8GHz circular polarization offers significant improvements to video quality and 1 mile is very possible on just 100mW. Obstructions such as tree, buildings, and hill will disturb the Fresnel zone and cause significantly reduced range.

-Alex
J31968 is offline Find More Posts by J31968
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:33 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
394 Posts
OSD's

I'm looking at two possible first OSD's, the Cyclops Nova and the Remzibi. The only difference is the Cyclops is advertised capable of Return to Home. It doesn't say what would be needed to actually have the RTH function. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Recommendations
7AC is offline Find More Posts by 7AC
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:08 PM
Anti-Gravity
United States, LA, Opelousas
Joined Mar 2012
96 Posts
OSD w/ Stabilization and RTH

First off sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help. (By the way, I am US based)

I have flown LOS for about 1 year. I have built many successful scratch builts. I an very versed in electronics and like to tinker almost as much as flying. I have an interest in FPV and have been doing much research but, the more I read, the more questions I have. I am about to purchase equipment and my main concern is that I do not wish to make a purchase that cannot grow with me. I currently have a DX8. (I know not the best but, it will do to start). So obviously my RC link will start as 2.4GHz. I do plane to upgrade later with a ezUHF, Chainlink, dragonlink, etc. So I will eventually move to 433Mhz. My first question is A/V frequency. After much reading, I am leaning towards 5.8GHz with circular polarized antennas eventually. A close runner up was 1.3GHz. I gather 5.8Ghz will be best with my current 2.4GHz RC link and future 433MHz link. I should not have any issues with harmonics or interference with GPS, etc. I was looking at a 500mw system. I'm open to advice from those with experience here. Next I would like an OSD system with IMU stabilization and RTH. I have read much here too but, again have questions. Its very hard to tell from reading just what systems are capable of what features. I plan to put all of this into a Skywalker or possibly a scratch built plane. I like the price of the Cyclops Nova but, I question the single axis IR stability and the accuracy of the altitude display but, I do like the looks of the OSD layout. Looks like I need something with a barometric sensor for altitude. Also, am I right in thinking that an IMU with 3-axis accelerometers is going to provide much more reliable stability? The 3 OSD units I am considering are the DragonOSD, the Eagle Tree OSD Pro w/ guardian (not IMU right?) and the FY31AP w/ Hornet OSD. Can anyone provide any insight on my selections? I'm also open to any helpful advice. Thanks again.
brettwal is offline Find More Posts by brettwal
Last edited by brettwal; Mar 06, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
hello,im new here. there are many pages to go through but I have limited time on computers. can someone suggest a good start up plane and the electronics. I have about $400.00 to spend does that look like it enough? I see many notes about helicopters here, i can't do those, so want planes only thanks.
fpvnooby is offline Find More Posts by fpvnooby
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Jan 2010
848 Posts
After spending hours reading on this topic, I know I'm ready when I'm selling one of my $800 3D Airplanes to buy all the FPV equipment

Any help or input is greatly appreciated

At what point do I need the Ham License?

I bought a 56" Delta Wing, as my first FPV plane, made out of EPP, also building it for night flying with LED's

Not sure if thats the best plane for FPV< as wings tend to fly fast

I was also looking at the Multiplex, or similar like Sky Walker from HK

I don't have a laptop, I have a I-Pad 2, so to record video, I was thinking of Go Pro

I currently have a Spectrum DX7S for my radio, I know range isn't that far, and goto 72 MHz, ( really ) thats so hard to believe, and what receiver ?

I was thinking of Fat Shark goggles to start, as their less then $300, and buy the time, I buy a 10" screen, HD recorder, etc, why not just start with the goggles? Also the Fat Shark only come in 2.4Ghz, and 5.8GHz, so I'm assuming you can only use these two frequanceys to fly with?

I think in the begging, of starting out without OSD, but the RVOSD5, ( outta stock ) I read is plug and play

I wanted to make it simple, not over complicated till I learn more

TX, I'm not sure yet, I was thinking 5.8ghz, line of site, but If I learn within a few months, I don't want to have to re-buy everything to goto 900 MHz or something

Also for camera, how about the 650 TVL Sony for viewing through with 3.6mm lens, or 2.8mm lens?

As a starter, am I better off just buying a package deal from ready made like these : http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...c6mqbnb2nak091

Thanks for your help, I'm ready to take the plunge !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by fltekdiver; Today at 09:34 PM.
fltekdiver is online now Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:46 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
After spending hours reading on this topic, I know I'm ready when I'm selling one of my $800 3D Airplanes to buy all the FPV equipment

Any help or input is greatly appreciated

At what point do I need the Ham License?
- before you can broadcast any video, period. also for using UHF RC link

I bought a 56" Delta Wing, as my first FPV plane, made out of EPP, also building it for night flying with LED's
Not sure if thats the best plane for FPV< as wings tend to fly fast
- well you are experienced, so there ya go. First time you put on the goggles ... watch out! Sounds like a lot of fun, but gonna need a spotter to find it because you'll probably get lost once you're flying the first time.

I was also looking at the Multiplex, or similar like Sky Walker from HK
- much more easy transition to FPV with these, but I started with a more skittish very small plane and it was OK. I probably should have started with Easy star, which I have a version of now

I don't have a laptop, I have a I-Pad 2, so to record video, I was thinking of Go Pro
- Go Pro is for on the plane. nice to have DVR on the ground to record the flight - analyze your flight after esp to check for video quality issues. also to record GPS coord s if you lose your plane. I like the HK 5.8 mini DVR, or the Japan-FPV DVR which I own

I currently have a Spectrum DX7S for my radio, I know range isn't that far, and goto 72 MHz, ( really ) thats so hard to believe, and what receiver ?
- start out with the DX7 and a good rx anyways, and stay within 500 yrds or so while you get used to it. Nice to have a autopilot return to home setup in case the RC link fails as a step up so you can still use the 2.4 a bit more. For 72 - better to talk to the experts, as I have simply gone to UHF which blows 72 to smithereens for range. Dragonlink UHF is like $250 or so, and you add it to a radio you might already have, or a chinese 9x for $100. Don't need that till you're ready to fly over 1km out. Or you can monkey around with 72, or 2.4 with an amplifier - neither of which approaches UHF.

I was thinking of Fat Shark goggles to start, as their less then $300, and buy the time, I buy a 10" screen, HD recorder, etc, why not just start with the goggles? Also the Fat Shark only come in 2.4Ghz, and 5.8GHz, so I'm assuming you can only use these two frequanceys to fly with?
- I like goggles and don't use any screen at all. sometimes have a laptop for passengers to view. But then I bought a 2nd set of goggles for them.

I think in the begging, of starting out without OSD, but the RVOSD5, ( outta stock ) I read is plug and play
- so many OSD to choose form. Maybe Cyclops CE or Nova on a budget. Even the $10 super simple OSD is handy. Full setup of Eagle Tree if you want top quality - I found it very easy to set up.

I wanted to make it simple, not over complicated till I learn more
- OK, goggles only, cyclops OSD, no head tracking, 2.4 RC link, Easy Star plane (eg PNP Bixler from HK), foxtech 5.8 video, CP antennas form TrueRC.net or Readymaderc.com

TX, I'm not sure yet, I was thinking 5.8ghz, line of site, but If I learn within a few months, I don't want to have to re-buy everything to goto 900 MHz or something
- 200mW 5.8 with a pair of CP antennas is The Bomb! I love this setup and have it on multiple planes. I also have a longer range plane with 1.3 CP which I fly less and less. Added a 5.8 helical antenna and can go multiple km now. Very small and lightweight in the air and on the ground station.
-cost to add a 2nd frequency to your stable isn't that high. Can get a 1.3 pair for well under $100, and a pair of CP antennae for $70

Also for camera, how about the 650 TVL Sony for viewing through with 3.6mm lens, or 2.8mm lens?
-I like wide 2.8 or 2.1. ordered a hi res cam, but getting by with 520tvl for now

As a starter, am I better off just buying a package deal from ready made like these : http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...c6mqbnb2nak091
-that is a great store and can't go wrong with them. they sell CP antennas, which are vital and a must, and there is no other way to do.. (well it depends on how long range you want). only thing is, they stopped selling the nice chinese 5.8 video equipment which I like. So Foxtechfpv is good for that 5.8 stuff (avoid the 500mW 5.8GHz transmitter though)

Thanks for your help, I'm ready to take the plunge !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by fltekdiver; Today at 09:34 PM.
see above fro my 2 cents
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Mar 06, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:04 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
OK so time for another really obviously newbie question........ If I stick 12V across the red & black wires into my board cam & run the white signal wire to my living room TV, should I get a picture? Or does the screen need to be 12V as well? I'm just trying to work out whether I've got one of them DOA HobbyKing cams....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Need to run video signal and ground to tv. Cut apart an old rca cable if u need to
Quote:
Doh!!!!
I have an old RCA plug - so if I run:
a) the black (ground) wire off the cam to both the Lipo negative and the 'outer' terminal of the RCA plug
b) the white (signal) wire off the cam to the central pin of the RCA plug, and
c) the red (power) wire off the cam to the Lipo positive
I should be able to plug the RCA plug into the yellow 'video' socket on my TV and get a signal?
Edit: Added a drawing.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Colonel, Yes, that looks right. You just need the signal and common ground to your RCA plug. -- JOHN
Quote:
Cheers, John - I've already knocked up the test harness - I'll check the cam tonight. Fingers crossed!
Didn't work - TV said 'No signal'.
Any other ways of testing that people know about? Or do people think that my TV test is pretty conclusive?
And what is the cheap 'entry-level' cam that people are using? I believe there's one from a company called securitycamera2000 that is often recommended...
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:42 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Didn't work - TV said 'No signal'.
Any other ways of testing that people know about? Or do people think that my TV test is pretty conclusive?
And what is the cheap 'entry-level' cam that people are using? I believe there's one from a company called securitycamera2000 that is often recommended...
Put a multimeter across the signal and ground. If you see a voltage you at least know the camera is outputting something.

Are you one of the DOA hobbyking VTx/VRx/Cam kit buyers?

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:40 AM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
If anyone has done the wifi booster mod for the dx6i, i'd like to pick your brain.

Do you HAVE to use a patch antenna as part of the equation? I expected that the booster would simply add omnidirectional range to my 2.4tx. I was also under the impression that patch antennas are pretty narrow field and as such have to be pointed to the rx in order to be effective.

I'd like to broaden my range omnidirectionally since i'm not really interested in going on long missions in one direction and back again. Is this mod not suitable for my needs, or could i still benefit from the wifi booster?

Thanks for your helps.
chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:58 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
Put a multimeter across the signal and ground. If you see a voltage you at least know the camera is outputting something.

Are you one of the DOA hobbyking VTx/VRx/Cam kit buyers?

-Blues
Hey Blues - I'm seeing 1.20V at the RCA plug.... so it is putting out something. Whether that is an intelligible signal is anyones guess. Also, the camera is getting noticably warm - is this normal?????

I may knock up some adapters to input it to a portable 12V DVD player just for the 'belt braces & string' approach, but I'm getting to the stage where I actually hope its dead because otherwise I can't see what I'm doing wrong!

And no, I just bought the cam. I have the Sunsky 800mW 1.2GHz Vtx/Vrx combo - which I am also unable to test because it looks like I have no camera!!!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Mar 06, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:28 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Ok, so I've been going through different forums for some time now trying to decide which freq I should choose for my AV link, annnnd I'm starting to go cross eyed from all of it!! Currently I'm using Futuba 2.4 for my control link. So, I will be flying in areas with minimal obstacles, slightly urbanized with plenty of open space and I've found a great hill to perch myself and my ground station on. Now, with that being said, even though I have ample room to fly 5+ unobstructed miles, I won't be. So, which would be best suited for me?? a shorter, more obstacle resilient 900 or 1.2? or a long, less cluttered 5.8??
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:40 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
Ok, so I've been going through different forums for some time now trying to decide which freq I should choose for my AV link, annnnd I'm starting to go cross eyed from all of it!! Currently I'm using Futuba 2.4 for my control link. So, I will be flying in areas with minimal obstacles, slightly urbanized with plenty of open space and I've found a great hill to perch myself and my ground station on. Now, with that being said, even though I have ample room to fly 5+ unobstructed miles, I won't be. So, which would be best suited for me?? a shorter, more obstacle resilient 900 or 1.2? or a long, less cluttered 5.8??
Go for 5.8Ghz. This is the frequency with fewest problems if you don't intend to break range records. Small antennas, good working systems available, no problems with others on 2.4G flying, no influence from RC-link or cameras etc. etc.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456