HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,325 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I do not think it is taking any load so I'm not worried about it.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 09:40 AM
Master of Repairs
United States, UT, Grantsville
Joined Mar 2013
1,051 Posts
Nice flying West Side

Where are you flying at?

Keith
kknox is online now Find More Posts by kknox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spitfire Repair
Old Today, 01:18 PM
Rekitter of fine aircraft
United States, TX, Spring
Joined May 2004
1,300 Posts
I just picked up a CZC and ordered some real tires (and a rudder, after gluing the screw boss to the fuselage with "instant" CA), but have a couple of mod questions. I immediately swapped the plastic prop for a Zinger 15x6 wood prop and performance was perfectly fine, but that tiny prop looks wrong. I'd like to run a ~17" 3 blade with a Tru-Turn spinner. I'll be putting in a Castle Edge 75 with arming key, 10 channel Lemon RX with their telemetry system (planning on a 4 channel wing plus tow release and a cargo box with a drop door), and The usual battery tray system in her, but I haven't figured out what motor to go with. Any opinions on motor and pitch on a 17" 3 blade for running on 6 cells? I'm thinking around 8" pitch and 300 KV at a wild guess.
SFT2 is offline Find More Posts by SFT2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Expo
Old Today, 01:33 PM
Joined Jun 2013
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLE PALEN View Post
i think the foam shrinks with decreasing temps. in summer, the wing roots
are really snug fitting into the blue plastic on the fuselage. the tape is
a good idea i must try for winter.

i am wondering what kind of experience folks have had with 30*F weather and
the plastic parts on the airplane. do things get brittle? wing struts, etc? i want to
put ski's on my airplane, but don't want to break anything due to cold temps.

thoughts?
I flew mine all last winter, in the teens, and single digits, never broke anything, but I was always careful while handling it, like loading and unloading it. Skis work great on hard and soft snow, floats work good on lite fluffy snow, I got tired of swaping them, so I just left the skis on the rest of the winter
Papa P is offline Find More Posts by Papa P
Old Today, 01:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
I just picked up a CZC and ordered some real tires (and a rudder, after gluing the screw boss to the fuselage with "instant" CA), but have a couple of mod questions. I immediately swapped the plastic prop for a Zinger 15x6 wood prop and performance was perfectly fine, but that tiny prop looks wrong. I'd like to run a ~17" 3 blade with a Tru-Turn spinner. I'll be putting in a Castle Edge 75 with arming key, 10 channel Lemon RX with their telemetry system (planning on a 4 channel wing plus tow release and a cargo box with a drop door), and The usual battery tray system in her, but I haven't figured out what motor to go with. Any opinions on motor and pitch on a 17" 3 blade for running on 6 cells? I'm thinking around 8" pitch and 300 KV at a wild guess.

It looks like you are the mad scientist to research a motor that will swing 3 blade 17" prop. A Zinger 15x6 may be over propping the stock motor. Don't complain if or when the magnets become delaminated.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 03:03 PM
United States, IN, Mentone
Joined Sep 2008
44 Posts
Hey, how is a 15×6 prop going to be over propping that motor? The stock one is 15×5.5, that shouldn't be enough of a change to hurt that motor. I've heard from several other people on here and other places that a Zoar PJN 15×6 Beechwood prop is more efficient and provides better power than the stock prop.
jlb1969 is online now Find More Posts by jlb1969
Old Today, 03:18 PM
Tree hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Sep 2013
3,382 Posts
Think POWER 60 motor will do all you need it to do, but you can always go bigger on the motor
gabe221 is online now Find More Posts by gabe221
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The air show
Old Today, 03:29 PM
Bullseye
United States, AK, Ninilchik
Joined Jul 2009
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe221 View Post
Think POWER 60 motor will do all you need it to do, but you can always go bigger on the motor
#1 Power 60 Talon 90 power to spare
shauncrabb is online now Find More Posts by shauncrabb
Old Today, 03:39 PM
Tree hopper
Joined Sep 2013
3,382 Posts
Hoping someone would install the Power 90, 110.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 03:43 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb1969 View Post
Hey, how is a 15×6 prop going to be over propping that motor? The stock one is 15×5.5, that shouldn't be enough of a change to hurt that motor. I've heard from several other people on here and other places that a Zoar PJN 15×6 Beechwood prop is more efficient and provides better power than the stock prop.

All props are not created equally in terms of shape and rigidity. A Beechwood prop will provide more power simply because of its shape and rigidity. Measure the watts and you will see the difference. Dr. Kiwi test electric motors and the watts vary between prop brands and designs. For example, a GWS electric prop draws less amps that APC E prop with the same size and pitch. A APC prop in the same size and pitch consumes the most.

See for yourself and do the experiments and you will understand. Do you have a watt meter? Unless installed installed mountains overnight you are flying in dense air at 840 feet above sea level. Our Texas poster is at 121 feet above sea level. You could get away with a bigger prop if you wer flying at 6,000 feet.

Remember, the 5.5 pitch of the stock prop wasn't a fluke. Eflite reduced the pitch to that odd size for a reason. The power system is on the ragged edge with the stock prop.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Today at 03:52 PM.
Old Today, 04:01 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
868 Posts
Check eCalc, I believe it has 3-blade props to select in the list.

www.ecalc.ch

edit: yes you can set any # of blades.

Maybe the SK3 5055 320kv will do.
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Last edited by Justapoke; Today at 04:07 PM.
Old Today, 04:40 PM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb1969 View Post
I believe they are talking about a 3 blade prop.
dangerdan is online now Find More Posts by dangerdan
Old Today, 05:06 PM
Tree hopper
Joined Sep 2013
3,382 Posts
In my (RC) flying experience, am I to believe that most motor failures on this plane come from back-to-back flights?? I know the stock motor wasn't much to start with, boarder line on the esc that came with it, and seeing so many failures, is the newer ones got a different motor-esc combo??
RCG Plus Member