HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:23 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
579 Posts
Discussion
35" span Pak Fa.

Been thinking about this project for a while and time now presents itself, so today I begin this build and I'm looking for advise/critique as electric ducted fans are new to me... (I've spent so many hours reading DF design threads on RCGroups that I see them in my sleep)...designing and building the airframe is no problem but I'm still looking for opinions on my airframe

I've been staring at 3-views and photo's of the Pak for a long time so first thing I did was to enlarge the best 3-view I have to 35" wing scale and print it out...I have to dress the lines up a bit but it's very usable. After dinner tonight I'll start measuring and 'puting the wing. I'm torn between all balsa with 'glass cover, 'glass covered foam or a combo of the two. Thinking about installing gear but she might end up as a belly lander.

I plan on using two HET 6904 fans with 2W-20 inrunners that I have in the parts box, controlled by two Phoenix Ice 100's.

The photo is the camo scheme I've chosen.

Tony
T.D. is offline Find More Posts by T.D.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:49 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,667 Posts
T.D. ----Tony, Welcome to the unique world of Scratch Building!!

The wing? ---- It comes to personal choice,I guess---what are you most comfortable doing? For my Scorpion build, I went foam cores, balsa covered, then, I will glass them with 3/4 oz cloth.

Now , consider this---lift --yes, but , flaps, ailerons, gear, servo location-- all play into designing a wing. It will mess with your head!

I shall assume retracts- at their cord location, is the airfoil thick enough?
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake