SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Apr 2005
27 Posts
Help!
3W-50i problem

Guys/Gals I am at a loss...

Last weekend my 6 year old 3W 50i went deadstick, the first time it has ever missed a beat. Anyway I found out the clunk line had broke in the tank. I fitted a new one and it struck up straight away, I did a full power check and fine, I then waited a while for someone to land, taxied out ant lined up for take off. I opened the throttle and it cut, thats the last ive had from it!

There was a spark but it looked as though it might have been dry. Back home I took it apart and cleaned the carb which had a some crap in the internal gauze. I checked the reeds and they look fine, i reversed them as this was the first time I had touched them in 6 years. Anyway i reassembled and carb drew fuel fine and plug was damp, I cant run at home though.

Went back to patch today and nothing, tried three plugs, another iggy pack, had starter on it, hand flipped but nothing other than a random short burst of about 3 seconds.

I didnt touch needles as they have not been touched in years. I am at a loss, there seems to be spark, fuel and compression but no noise!

tonight i have re checked my carb assembly against exploded view and fine, still a spark and i also checked my DLE55 and it seems comparable.

I dont know what else to do.

The sudden cut suggests something failed but no idea what!

CM
biofag is offline Find More Posts by biofag
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,675 Posts
Thats a pretty good run trouble free. Was the plug dry when you pulled them? How does the regulator diaphragm look? When they get stiff, its tough to pass fuel through the valve. Might be time for a gasket kit after 6 years. Ya got some good life out of that engine. Hope that fixes it.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,100 Posts
I would suggest pulling the mixture needles in addition to new gaskets and diaphragms. You never know what junk may be trapped behind them. DO NOT use compressed air as that can damage the tiny check valves in the carb. Use a can of brake parts cleaner to flush out the nasty stuff. Carb cleaner seems to be a bit too aggressive for these little carbs. This is my experience working on chainsaws, leaf blowers and trimmers.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497