HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:32 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
236 Posts
Discussion
Flying in the Winter/snow?

Hello

Im just waiting for my first "real" quad to arrive, and now I am getting a bit worried. Do you guys fly in the winter and snow?
Would a crash in the snow ruin my Quad?

I did order a F330 frame, with KK2.0 and so on.

So is it a bad idea to use a Quad in the Winter, maybe I should even cancel my order and wait for the spring?
zippiz is offline Find More Posts by zippiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:33 AM
Explorer
Norge, Telemark, Notodden
Joined Jul 2005
226 Posts
I know I am going to fly my hexa in the winter. Just not when it's snowing. The batteries are perhaps not going to last as long in the winter, and if you get snow in the electronics, it can give you problems. Like water really. Don't worry so much about it. Just try to be careful and don't crash in deep loose snow.
åsmund is offline Find More Posts by åsmund
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:53 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Just fly, you'll be fine. Invest in some kind of electronics spray too. When I flew last winter I got snow all over my ESCs, flight controller and motors. There was snow on and inside the motors, the flight controller was covered by it etc. No problems. But I disconnected the power as soon as I could, removed the snow then sprayed electronics spray on it at home. (Cleans the board, evaporates after 10 seconds or so.)
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
There are some good tips in this thread for sealing off your electronics.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727932
MtnSnowFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Jan 2012
122 Posts
you should use something called plasti dip on your electronic parts, that protects very well.
bakanahito is offline Find More Posts by bakanahito
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:28 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,059 Posts
There is no problem flying in snow. The problem is when your bat is at -15°C or less. Then lipo is frozen and can't give enough power (done that).

I did some footage of ice climbing (and ice climbing is done only if below freezing temp). Here it is;
mini test cascade de glace (0 min 28 sec)

and also this:
Ile d'amour gf2 (0 min 57 sec)
nicodh is offline Find More Posts by nicodh
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:58 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
271 Posts
I am more worried about my fingers freezing.
Hkubota is offline Find More Posts by Hkubota
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Apr 2012
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkubota View Post
I am more worried about my fingers freezing.
Ditto. Living in Minnesota, the temps here can get very cold in the winter. Besides, I have a Traxxas Slash 4x4 w/knobby tires for winter RC fun
CraigVMN is offline Find More Posts by CraigVMN
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:27 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
236 Posts
Hey

Lots of great tips, thanks.

Must say that I'm a little worried that my cheap F330 clone frame from Hobby King will be very fragile when it gets cold outside. Lets hope not...

Might be a bit of a challenge (I like it, haha) to make the electronics "water/snow proof".

Would be nice to at least not have to worry to much about a small sprinkle.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:44 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
It's already fragile as it is, minor crashes break arms. Just get another frame, they're super cheap.

As for cold fingers: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11738

Just bought one of these, should be here soon.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:22 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1745436

some tips for lipo
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
It's already fragile as it is, minor crashes break arms. Just get another frame, they're super cheap.

As for cold fingers: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11738

Just bought one of these, should be here soon.

Yeah I know... I did order two frames and will use one just for spareparts. (you told me to, haha)

I also have one of the Turnigy Transmitter Gloves on the way, looks nice.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
Cold weather electronics problems

This is my first winter with a Paris Multiwii board (v4 r5) on a quadcopter and it seems to be sensitive to cold temperatures (-15 F or -25 C and colder). The board arms okay, but when I start to spool up the motors it seems to disarm and reset....or worse it will lift off as I tell it but within a matter of seconds it resets and crashes.

Also, this is letting the board cool down to ambient temperature. For example last night I left it outside for several hours to cool down before trying to fly it and the above is what happened. Before taking it outside it hovered fine at room temperature in my basement.

I've flown a KK v.1 board at these temps no problem, but did have problems with one of my ESCs so I also wonder if the problem could be related to the ESCs malfunctioning and interacting with the flight control board.

Any insights? Obviously, I don't have a lot of expertise in electronics, but this does seem to be the problem. Anyone else have any experience in this realm? I really need this to function to film skiing, dogsledding, etc in cold interior Alaska this winter, but don't want to switch to another board or escs and have the same problem.

Thanks in advance, Rob

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to those in the U.S.
MtnSnowFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer