SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:37 PM
Australia, New South Wales, Greystanes
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
Help!
airfield-fms spitfire 1400mm

soon will be maiden on spitfire any advice from owner/flyers. it is the 1400mm version with 3648motor 3blade 13/9prop. have cg at 100mm from leading edge as per manual will be using 4s 2600mah. all help appreciated
kayla95 is offline Find More Posts by kayla95
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
Akron, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
430 Posts
CG should be 85mm from leading edge! Ignore the manual on that. For the elevator throws you only need 10mm up and down in flight, for taxiing you'll need more UP throw (15-20mm) to keep the tail on the ground. I fly mine with the same motor/prop combo on a 4s 4000. Usually 6:30 minutes of flight time. I'd set your timer for 4 minutes max. Good luck!
Aerobatman is offline Find More Posts by Aerobatman
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:37 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,948 Posts
As soon as your ready you can ditch the 4 cell and got to 5 cell. The plane will love you for it

Also, the throw settings aren't important, just be smooth on the sticks and she will be fine. Watch the speed on landing, and when your in the mood for a mod install some split flaps. They will be the best thing you ever do in the plane.

Have fun
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
United States, DE, Dover
Joined Oct 2011
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
As soon as your ready you can ditch the 4 cell and got to 5 cell. The plane will love you for it

Also, the throw settings aren't important, just be smooth on the sticks and she will be fine. Watch the speed on landing, and when your in the mood for a mod install some split flaps. They will be the best thing you ever do in the plane.

Have fun
5 cell on a 4 cell motor? Are you teaching folks to burn up their motors?
Smoothcruizer3 is offline Find More Posts by Smoothcruizer3
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:51 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,948 Posts
The motor can handle the voltage perfectly, mine has for over 6 months. Besides, this plane needs the extra power, not for speed, but for more climb ability. On 4s my plane would only do stall loops, but 5s gives it the power to keep on rollin'
Last edited by dambit; Mar 20, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post

Have fun
refering to landing speed whats your advice i dont want to tip stall as i just had a bad time with the P-40 drops a wing bad and its not as pointy as the spitfire wing tips thanks for reply
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:34 AM
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothcruizer3 View Post
5 cell on a 4 cell motor? Are you teaching folks to burn up their motors?
thanks for reply
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:51 AM
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatman View Post
CG should be 85mm from leading edge! Ignore the manual on that. For the elevator throws you only need 10mm up and down in flight, for taxiing you'll need more UP throw (15-20mm) to keep the tail on the ground. I fly mine with the same motor/prop combo on a 4s 4000. Usually 6:30 minutes of flight time. I'd set your timer for 4 minutes max. Good luck!
thanks for reply will adjust cg
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:36 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,948 Posts
Don't know an actual speed, but I just sort of know when it's too slow. Best way to figure it out is to do stall tests while it's at altitude. Use up a whole battery getting used to it's stall speed and then you should have a good idea as to what speed is good for landing. Put some clear packing tape or similar on the underside of the wingtips to protect them, as the plane will at times tilt onto its wings during landings in crosswind.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:18 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
87 Posts
Respectfully disagree about being underpowered on 4s batteries. I run this exclusively on 4s and have never felt the need to jump to 5s.

I really think that the 4s/5s debate might be a bit of "courses for horses".

Never had an issue with performing loops, rolls etc.. and the climb out rate is not an issue. I can pull a beautiful scale loop from level flight with no hint of stall out at the top of the arc.

Here's a quick vid of my last flight please excuse the language on the landing. I hadn't flown this for sometime due to work commitments so was a bit rusty
You can clearly see when I have hit 3/4 throttle it just shoots up and away, at no point in this video do I crank 100% throttle (I was a bit nervy on this flight.)
You can also see that it slows nicely for landing and in the most is very well behaved. Very solid flier.

FMS Spitf@cker Fun (2 min 8 sec)

I would recommend a small mod to the landing gear to rake them forward further to prevent nose over on anything less than the greasiest of landings. JBC here on rcgroups details this in his blog.
RockApe is offline Find More Posts by RockApe
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:24 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
87 Posts
Where do you fly Kayla?
RockApe is offline Find More Posts by RockApe
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:49 AM
Super Man's cousin! No cape!
Australia, New South Wales, Wangi Wangi
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
I have one. I am flying mine with stock electronics etc, with a different spinner and 13x10 2 blade prop. It's got miles of power to chew and with about 250g of weight and a 4S 2200mah or a 4000mah it flys great!
Ultra_Spitfire is offline Find More Posts by Ultra_Spitfire
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockApe View Post
Respectfully disagree about being underpowered on 4s batteries. I run this exclusively on 4s and have never felt the need to jump to 5s.

I really think that the 4s/5s debate might be a bit of "courses for horses".

Never had an issue with performing loops, rolls etc.. and the climb out rate is not an issue. I can pull a beautiful scale loop from level flight with no hint of stall out at the top of the arc.
But are you using the stock 3 blade propeller? I had no such luck on 4s, plus I moved to a more scale 4 blade for a while and that had no guts on 4s so I had to go 5s.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:25 AM
OPP7755
Joined Nov 2011
73 Posts
4 Blade prop ?

If anyone is flying the FMS 1400MM Spit with a 4 blade prop, please advise of your hardware package....(Stock ? or upgrade ESC. Prop size and pitch ?)

Oh ya videos and pictures would be nice !

Phil
OPP7755 is offline Find More Posts by OPP7755
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:27 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,948 Posts
Will have to dig up a pic, but I used the 1400mm P-51 spinner and blades with a 70amp ESC and 5s 4000 battery.