HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:05 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
Great job Fish and i'm about to do mine and hoping to use the same motor as you used as the TR 35-36 would be way to fast for her IMHO and would need the wing mod and as you have just told me on YouTube i think ;-) you didn't need to do it with your motor size.
wanted to keep mine all stock but as it looks like PZ are not doing an updated Spitty any time soon it looks like i'm going for the mods ;-) will post pictures when done.
Thanks for sharing the great info Fish99 and the rest of you ;-)
Looking forward to you posting the MOD. Just a word of caution, I burned out the 28-30 as I was a little over propped for the motor. (No biggy, it's not a very expensive little thing.) I have a 30A ESC in there so it was more than up to the task, but the little motor couldn't swing that MAS 10x7 e. I now have a 35-36 in there, using a MAS 10x6 e and am not worried. I might bump it back up to the 10X7 but now I am worried about the ESC! I don't mind burning out the motor in flight, just meant I ended up dead sticking it in, but an ESC going up should mean I end up drilling for oil with my plane, and I'm not looking to do that.

I do find the 10x6 flys it VERY nice, but you can almost HEAR it cavitating as the motor wants to jump even harder, but just not enough pitch to the prop.

Might give it a try, see what I get with just EASY throttle management.

Let me know how it works out for you.
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2010, 02:32 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,759 Posts
[QUOTE=Fish99;16380241]Looking forward to you posting the MOD. Just a word of caution, I burned out the 28-30 as I was a little over propped for the motor.

Don't know how i missed this first part of your reply but i did and now have the 28-30 never mind and after reading a few post on this motor it seems ok to fly a Alfa model P-51 mustang with out out any worries but on a 9x6 prop,so i hoping you might have just used the wrong prop size on your first go around with this motor (don't mean that in a bad way) and that might of been just to much for her,oh and the Alfa model P-51 weight is around 1lb so only a little bit of difference but like you say the motors don't cost the earth so i'll give the 28-30 a go with the smaller prop (9x6) and see what happens,while i weight for another motor from HK which will be the 35-36 as i'll get a few of these as i could always upgrade my other PZ warbirds,like the F4U Corsair,P-51D Mustang and maybe the BF-109G and i still want the two new warbirds they have brought out which our the F4F wildcat and the P-47D thunderbolt.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Nov 06, 2010, 06:15 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,710 Posts
[QUOTE=startazz;16482649]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Looking forward to you posting the MOD. Just a word of caution, I burned out the 28-30 as I was a little over propped for the motor.

Don't know how i missed this first part of your reply but i did and now have the 28-30 never mind and after reading a few post on this motor it seems ok to fly a Alfa model P-51 mustang with out out any worries but on a 9x6 prop,so i hoping you might have just used the wrong prop size on your first go around with this motor (don't mean that in a bad way) and that might of been just to much for her,oh and the Alfa model P-51 weight is around 1lb so only a little bit of difference but like you say the motors don't cost the earth so i'll give the 28-30 a go with the smaller prop (9x6) and see what happens,while i weight for another motor from HK which will be the 35-36 as i'll get a few of these as i could always upgrade my other PZ warbirds,like the F4U Corsair,P-51D Mustang and maybe the BF-109G and i still want the two new warbirds they have brought out which our the F4F wildcat and the P-47D thunderbolt.
I am SURE that the 28-30 would have been FINE with a 9x6 or 10x6, the 10x7 was just a little too much after a LOT of flights! I have the new 35-36 in it and it has WAY more power, but I find it almost to be TOO MUCH. I am seriously thinking about buying another 28-30 and keeping the 10x6 prop and re-tooling it as I REALLY liked how it flew on the 28-30.

I will probably use the 35-36 in my P-51 gunfighter if I ever decided to HOP IT UP for speed. That airframe just BEGS for a fast motor as it is ROCK SOLID in the air.

Can't wait for the P-47 to come out, it's exactly what I asked HH to do when I first started buying their stuff. I have been avoiding the F4F Wildcat but recently find myself wanting that one too ... many, so many planes, so little money!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:52 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,759 Posts
Re-tooling i've a rough idea what it means but just wanted to make sure,i'm in the process of adding some strength to my Spitty at the moment and trying real hard to keep the weight right down,we will see how it goes plus i'll try and do a photo log as i go so i can add a video on YT for all to see
I'll allso keep you updated on how things go too
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:10 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Re-tooling i've a rough idea what it means but just wanted to make sure,i'm in the process of adding some strength to my Spitty at the moment and trying real hard to keep the weight right down,we will see how it goes plus i'll try and do a photo log as i go so i can add a video on YT for all to see
I'll allso keep you updated on how things go too
Sounds great ... started my "re-tool" on my spitty this week during the evenings. I have an old wing that I pulled the control cables for the ailerons OUT of and have installed separate HS55 servos in the wing for each aileron. Running them off a Y connector to the AR500 receiver. Re-paint is next. (Did the wing bottom a slightly more BLUISH green) I am going to give it a run with the bigger motor, as I have added the extra weight of two control rods and a servo, and see how it flies. If I still don't like it I will put another 28-30 in and just prop down a bit.

Can't wait to see your mod thread.

Marlin
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:08 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,710 Posts
Latest Upgrade to the SPITFIRE!!!

Well, I got tired of the very impressice handling from the single servo, push/pull aileron controls on my spitfire, and I felt it was begining to look old and tired. As a result, I decided to give it a facelift. I wanted to try pulling out the old tech push/pull wire leads and fitting up twin aileron servos in the wings. While I was at it I wanted to try a re-paint.

I decided to do this on an OLD wing that was broken in half when I hit a light post last winter. It's been hot glued together and flys fine, just has a mean looking nasty scar where I glued it together. (I would have epoxy and sanded it now that I know better, but that was only a couple months into the hobby for me!)

I carefully removed the old control lines and the grey shoes they come out at by using a sharp utility knife and scoring the plastic cover along the length of the tube and simply carefully prying up the control shoe. They came out with almost no damage to the wing, outside of the little divots from the shoes. I used epoxy and microballoons to smooth out the divots.

I then traced out the outline for the Hitech HS55 servos I purchased onto the thickest part of the wing and using the knife carefully cut the outline into the foam. Cross cut lines at the same depth and basically flicking the foam out one layer at a time till I had the servo FLUSH with the wing bottom and just a hair more. I mixed up some epoxy and using an old paint brush painted the bottom of the newly formed servo pockets, as well as the sides, with epoxy to strengthen them and let it dry. I spray painted the underside with the first coat of paint, including the servo pockets.

I turned on and centered the servos and placed the control horms onto them sticking straight up. (Had pre-drilled the arm holes out just a bit more to fit the control rods.) I then put the servos in place, using hot glue on the edges to hold them. I put the control cleavus on the end with room to expand or contract quite a bit on the threads then into the highest rate hold in the aileron horn then marked where the Z bend needed to start. Bent the rod in my bench vice, cutting off excess length and installed the horns. I ran the servo wife in the cut made where I removed the previous control tubes, pushing the wife down into the wing under the flaps of plastic sheeting, totally invisible!

I then put clear hinge tape along the length of the wire and over the servos and gave the whole wing a second coat of paint. Looks great!

I then did a repaint of the body and wing. Kept the same camo pattern and chose some colors which were close matches for the old ones. I just wanted to freshen it up and try to learn the techniques. It was a lot of work masking and tracing out patterns on wax paper then cutting and spraying, but it looks very good. I painted the engine exhausts black, used a black sharpie to darken the seam lines and flight control lines, and put on an antenna where the old FM radio wire used to come out.

I will post some pics later, but I can't wait to put this one in the air!

Marlin
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:20 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,759 Posts
Sounds good mate and it's funny you should of posted this yesterday as thats what i was doing to my wing yesterday but i used an old soldering iron to melt out the servo holes and i've used a couple of HK metal gear servos and they fit a treat.
Let me know how you get on with that motor (TR35-36c) or if you use the TR28-30B again as it sounds like mine will weigh about the same as yours by the time i get around to spraying her but i will still try them both out to see which one i like the best as i thought i would try the 28-30 first then the 35-36 but i'll do this before i spray her up as i'd hate to spray her and something goes wrong also i'll have to find out what throws work best and what DR/EXPO to use as i'll be using my old faithful DX6i and the AR500 same as you.
Look forward to your flight report Marlin
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:34 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,710 Posts
Flight Report

Took the newly painted / modded spitty out this morning. Very gentle breeze but cloudy and lowish light. It flew AMAZING! I had to do a bit of trimming (couple clicks left on the ailerons) and it was flying great. Very stable, very responsive, very predictable. Before, with the single push/pull set up it did not always return to center precisely after a bank, so I always found myself tending to need minor corrections to stop the plane from rolling a bit. Now it is ROCK SOLID.

Liking the bigger 35-36 motor now that I have a more solid flying plane, as it sure does give it loads of power. Not a LOT more speed, with the smaller pitch prop, but a bit more. The biggest different is that it is unlimited power vertical, just keeps on pulling, and when you hit the throttle in a corner you can see the plane physically jump ahead with the accelleration. Kinda liking the bigger plane. My ESC is holding up good, though I have been carefull to fly at 1/2 throttle pretty much the whole time. After two flights it was still cool, no warming at all. (Pretty cold up here through, just above freezing point, so that helps.)

The plane looks great but the noticed the bottom colour I used, which is a BIT darker than the stock green, bit more metalic, really does NOT show up well in the sky, making orientation difficult. Probably have to re-paint the bottom later, as I lost orientation a bit while dog-fighting a hawk that decided to try to chase my Spitfire from the sky. (He lost! Way too maneuverable for him and he got tired of the Spitty getting behind him and gave up after only 30 or 40 seconds of twisting and turning! )

All and all, this is a GREAT improvement and well worth the work. I will probably buy a brand new wing and replicate this on a pristine wing, as the one I used was old and beat up. (New paint job makes it look pretty good, but you still see the blemishes on the ground!)

Can't wait to see your mod come together Startazz ... I will try to take some pics soon and post them as well ... (warn you now, I am no artist with a spray can, so it's not the best paint job!)

Marlin
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:31 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,759 Posts
Nice one mate as the 35-36 sounds like the motor to have in her and would of liked to seen that bird TRY and take on the Spitty
Just waiting on a parcel from HK so i can do some more work on mine and don't worry about the paint job mate as this will be my first go with the spray cans and i don't think it could be any worse than what mine will come out like

So are you still using the E-flite 30amp ESC with that motor?? as thats what i was going to try until i get a 40 amp one.

Ian
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:22 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,710 Posts
Yep, still with the 30 A ESC from my stock ME 109, that's why I am being extra carefull about throttle management, and using the lower pitch prop. I am looking to order an AMP/WATT meter and see just what it is pulling. I will then know how far I can push this setup. Eventually will want the bigger pitch prop and be able to use full power so will no doubt put a 40A ESC in it. (Waiting for Hobbypartz to get some in stock!)

Snapped a few photos and will try to upload them in the next week. (I am on the road this week.)

Can't wait to hear/see yours fly my friend.

Marlin
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:55 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,759 Posts
Yeah i thought it might still be that ESC and i have just got a watt meter from HobbyKing today so i can see whats what so to speak

Marlin are you still using your 10x7?? because i got my 10x6 and 9x6 in my parcel today as well as the TR 35-36c motor oh and a servo test so my build shouldn't take to long now but like i said before i won't spray her until i know what she flies like.
So hopefully i'll upload a video of what i have done sort of like a picture log of the build plus i'll post a few photos on this forum too.

Ian
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:13 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Yeah i thought it might still be that ESC and i have just got a watt meter from HobbyKing today so i can see whats what so to speak

Marlin are you still using your 10x7?? because i got my 10x6 and 9x6 in my parcel today as well as the TR 35-36c motor oh and a servo test so my build shouldn't take to long now but like i said before i won't spray her until i know what she flies like.
So hopefully i'll upload a video of what i have done sort of like a picture log of the build plus i'll post a few photos on this forum too.

Ian
I am using the MAS 10x6 e, though I have the 10x7 sitting in the drawer and would like to put it back on. If you happen to bench test your 35-36 with the 10x7 before I get around to picking up a meter I would sure be interested to know how many amps it is drawing for you!

You're going to be impressed with the "new" spitfire once you get it up in the air. The extra power and the precision of dual aileron servos made a HUGE difference. Completely different plane and I would put it up against any of my more "new generation" Parkzone aircraft! (I like the z-foam of the new birds, but the older airframe is holding up pretty darn well.)

Talk to you later Ian,

Marlin
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:10 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,710 Posts
Here are some photos of the wing mod to independant aileron servos, along with the overall re-paint on the PZ Spitfire. I will likely re-paint the bottom to a higher vis color as it is a bit hard to see.

Marlin
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:33 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,759 Posts
Oh very nice Marlin and i doubt mine would come out that clean after my spray jobs and the green and brown looks a lot better if you ask me mate,nice one.

Right mine is all done now apart from the paint job but you know about that,so just got to wait until Friday dinner time or the week end to try her out as looking by the weather i just might get a chance to try her out.
Oh and i did try out the watt meter mate but like an idiot i put my ESC under the battery bat so i couldn't feel the damn thing after i gave it a few wind ups on the throttle but i heres the amp reading you wanted.
With the 10x6 on her we got 35.12amps and that was only a few seconds at the highest throttle point and like i said i couldn't feel the ESC but as you can see we would be better off using a 40 amp ESC but after saying that i'm still going with my E-flite 30amp ESC at the weekend just to see what she flies like and i'll try my hardest not to give her max throttle for more than a few seconds
As i'm new to these watt meters i'm not 100% sure what i'm doing but i think she was pushing 387.3 watts of power

Ian
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:23 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,759 Posts
Just got back from the maiden flight of my Spitfire upgraded motor (TR35-36c) and things didn't go so well i hand launched it like i would the stock spitty big mistake just over half throttle and she went vertical and started to go over my head about 10/15 foot up but i manged to sort of control her a bit as she was sort of doing a loop then i got her down to earth but this all happened really quick NO damage.
So i go for another launch this time under 1/4 throttle and she went off great but she did need a lot of down elevator to much as i had to give her as much down elevator as i had but she wouldn't fly straight at all and she wanted to do was nose up every time i gave her the smallest amount of throttle i kept flying her like this for about 3 wide circuits but i just couldn't get her to fly true,oh she didn't need no aileron trim though i brought her down with out any trouble,oh i forgot to mention at the start that the elevator was level and it looks like if i wanted to try and fly her true from a lunch she would have to have loads of down elevator so much that it wouldn't be right.

I did balance her (holding her upside down) as well and she was spot on how i like my planes which is just a touch and i mean a touch nose down.

I realise something is wrong but i'm leaning towards trying the smaller TR28-30B motor as the one on her now seems to be way over kill well for me that is

So any ideas out there Marlin/anyone??? to whats going on as i don't think it can be the elevator as if it was to get her to fly true it looks like the elevator would be at such a down angle it wouldn't be right,well i don't think so.