Old Oct 30, 2015, 02:13 AM
Find More Posts by Stanford55
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Mar 2015
31 Posts
Hey guys,

Lost orientation on my flight today--what I thought was upright was instead inverted (the aircraft doesn't get it's name for nothing I guess), which can lead to all sorts of catastrophic problems--and was wondering if anyone knows how to detach the stabilizer from the fuse? Also, how do you run the rudder and elevator servo wires through the fuse? Looked at the manual and did a cursory search on this thread, to no avail.

I was about to give up on this thing after the first couple flights, but it's grown on me, and has become my favorite plane (I'd also add it's made me a better pilot, but with this latest episode I'm afraid I don't have much credibility).

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.
Stanford55 is offline Find More Posts by Stanford55
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
Genesis 50:20
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
14,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford55 View Post
Hey guys,

Lost orientation on my flight today--what I thought was upright was instead inverted (the aircraft doesn't get it's name for nothing I guess), which can lead to all sorts of catastrophic problems--and was wondering if anyone knows how to detach the stabilizer from the fuse? Also, how do you run the rudder and elevator servo wires through the fuse? Looked at the manual and did a cursory search on this thread, to no avail.

I was about to give up on this thing after the first couple flights, but it's grown on me, and has become my favorite plane (I'd also add it's made me a better pilot, but with this latest episode I'm afraid I don't have much credibility).

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.
I don't know about the rudder detachment, but I can help with the servo wire issue. The servo wires are attached to extensions about 12" long. The easiest way to get them out is to get a 6" piece of piano wire and bend a hook into the end. Gently pull the servo wires until the extension connectors get jammed in the tiny space they need to come through, and then use the hook to grab it and finesse it through.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Oct 30, 2015, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by Stanford55
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Mar 2015
31 Posts
thanks bhoov, I'll try that out. In most of the crashes I've had, I haven't been able to salvage much, other than maybe the electronics. This case is a little different--the cowl and front of the fuse is totally destroyed but everything else is intact. Would rather try to fix it than buy a new plane, but I have little experience tinkering in this particular hobby.

...it's not the rudder but the elevator ('stab'?). Looking at the part it appears to be one piece, glued to the fuse, which is a bummer. Even if I bought the part, I'm not sure how to attach it, but I'll keep searching.
Stanford55 is offline Find More Posts by Stanford55
Last edited by Stanford55; Oct 30, 2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
Genesis 50:20
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
14,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford55 View Post
thanks bhoov, I'll try that out. In most of the crashes I've had, I haven't been able to salvage much, other than maybe the electronics. This case is a little different--the cowl and front of the fuse is totally destroyed but everything else is intact. Would rather try to fix it than buy a new plane, but I have little experience tinkering in this particular hobby.

...it's not the rudder but the elevator ('stab'?). Looking at the part it appears to be one piece, glued to the fuse, which is a bummer. Even if I bought the part, I'm not sure how to attach it, but I'll keep searching.
Elevator I've done. It's glued. If your fuse is toast and you're getting a replacement, then you can probably just cut the old one out. You'd have to find a way to separate the halves to install it though.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 02, 2016, 12:07 AM
Find More Posts by Digital Don
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
1,028 Posts
Has anyone flown both the Inverza and the 280 size Viking?

I just did the maiden flight of my Viking at a huge indoor venue we have access to and am always on the lookout for another plane... I only fly indoors and other than micros, the current selection of aircraft is limited.

I was wondering if the performance of the Inverza is comparable to that of the Viking.

Thanks!

Don
Digital Don is online now Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Feb 02, 2016, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by AeroMaestro
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post
I was wondering if the performance of the Inverza is comparable to that of the Viking.
You probably know this, but the Inverza and the Viking are just the same plane with one wing or two.

They're both essentially the Pitts Model 12, manufactured by Jim Kimball. The Model 12 biplane was originally done up as "The Beast." Now it's been repainted and rebranded as "The Viking." Same plane.

The Inverza is just a mono-wing version of the Model 12/Beast/Viking that was licensed to Horizon Hobby but never built as a full-scale plane.

To actualy answer your question --
The Inverza out of the box won't fly as easily as the Viking does out of the box, because the Viking has AS3X built in and the Inverza doesn't. But I've put a LemonRx stabilizer in my Inverza and I'm very happy with the results.

They should fly somewhat similarly, but the Inverza will go faster (less drag). It'll also fly a little better inverted because of the single symmetrical wing. The Viking will be more stable and will slow down much more. (Although my Inverza harriers very nicely.)
AeroMaestro is offline Find More Posts by AeroMaestro
Old Feb 02, 2016, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by Chris_J
Manchester Man in Munich!
Germany, BY, M
Joined Oct 2015
370 Posts
I have a feeling that E-Flite will discontinue the Inverza soon and release an AS3X equipped Inverza 280 (3D?)

The current 280-sized lineup could do with fleshing out a bit.
Chris_J is offline Find More Posts by Chris_J
Old Feb 02, 2016, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
3,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post
Has anyone flown both the Inverza and the 280 size Viking?

I just did the maiden flight of my Viking at a huge indoor venue we have access to and am always on the lookout for another plane... I only fly indoors and other than micros, the current selection of aircraft is limited.

Thanks!

Don
Don, I almost exclusively fly (and crash!) the Inverza & Viking. The Inverza is much lighter and I put a stabilizer on it to make it stay true. The Viking's AS3X keeps the thing on rails and is a total joy in the wind. If you do like I did and put in stabilization, the Inverza would be easier to fly indoors (or take the challenge of not using it and flying it as is, too.)
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Feb 02, 2016, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by dalecheek1
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
4,183 Posts
AS3X Not needed ,,Plane easy to fly slow.....
05 18 15 Inverza Hovering & Harrying Low (4 min 11 sec)
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 02, 2016, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,028 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys and the video dalecheek1! Looks to me like the Inverza can be flown almost like a flat 3D foamy!

That raises an interesting question for me. I don't like 'stabilization' on my 3D foamys. On the other hand, I do like AS3X on the Viking since it makes it feel 'bigger'.

The idea of adding a 3rd party stabilization system is appealing. But, so is waiting to see if E-Flite does if for me. The Inverza has been around for a while so I'm not sure that's likely to happen though. I'm going to E-Fest this weekend, maybe I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks again guys. Now all I have to do is convince SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED, that I can't possibly live without another plane....

Don
Old Feb 29, 2016, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by tware
Little Rock, AR
Joined Nov 2005
358 Posts
Pretty bummed. 1st flight, never really got out of mode 1, elevator servo locked up. Got it down with little damage. I thought it was CG + gusty wind related, as when I got to it, the servo was working fine again. Check it out, throws good, new batt, went back up, 1 min in, locked up again. Spiral stall. managed to power it in a harrier as the elevator was frozen with about 20% up. luckily. The gear and rudder took more of a knock than I'd like for a brand new plane. Also noticed my motor sounds terrible, but I'm more upset about the servo.
tware is offline Find More Posts by tware
Old Feb 29, 2016, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by tware
Little Rock, AR
Joined Nov 2005
358 Posts
HH is going to send me a new servo and Rx... pretty happy about that. but... since this thing failed out of the box and I have to rebuild it anyway, I was thinking of upgrading the servo to this...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sec_60deg.html

thoughts?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:56 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,028 Posts
Just ordered an inverza and the discount code was still good!

Don
Old Mar 02, 2016, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by tware
Little Rock, AR
Joined Nov 2005
358 Posts
I'm going to call mine the Inverza $280, thats about what I'm going to have in this just to make it what it promises on the box, starting with replacing all the servos : /
Old Mar 02, 2016, 10:19 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tware View Post
I'm going to call mine the Inverza $280, thats about what I'm going to have in this just to make it what it promises on the box, starting with replacing all the servos : /
Might be worth a call to Horizon. Yeah, their stuff is expensive, but they're usually very good if you have a problem.

I've been flying the Viking I got recently and - knock on wood - it's performed well. Hope I'll be able to say the same about the Inverza that arrived today.

Don