Old Feb 06, 2016, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by NewZee
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJeff View Post
Cloud Dancer 120 from LazerWorks short kit!
"Fantastic" On my "short list" of builds!! I already downloaded plans and build articles from "outerzone" and scaled it down to a 48" Wingspan, and printed the plans!! (I'll do electric power).

Finishing up a Great Planes "Slow Poke" and hope to start the CD early summer! Are you doing a build log?? would love to follow along!
NewZee is offline Find More Posts by NewZee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 02:51 PM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,596 Posts
Quote:
Cloud Dancer 120 from LazerWorks short kit!
Very nice.

I've always like the Cloud Dancer.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 08, 2016, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by RDJeff
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2014
89 Posts
You do indeed see the magnetic system. It is far and away a much better way to build than any previous way. it does cost a few bucks, but it was worth it. You can do a lot of different tasks and setups with the system, all the while avoiding pin holes and split wood.

QUOTE=BernardW;33931779]Do I spy an airfieldmodels.com magnetic jig system? Looks like it anyway. Do you like using it, and do you find there's benefits in a system like that for building accurately? I'm interested myself.[/QUOTE]
RDJeff is online now Find More Posts by RDJeff
Old Feb 08, 2016, 12:53 AM
Joined Feb 2014
89 Posts
No build log, just the photos I've posted. I'll finish up the color trim and glue on the canopy tomorrow, and post the final photos.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 03:56 AM
Find More Posts by DustBen
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Dec 2011
2,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Very nice.

I've always like the Cloud Dancer.
I'm just starting on the 60 size Cloud Dancer. I'm shooting for 6 lbs and about 900 watts of electric power.

I've built hundreds of models (either from a kit or off of plans) and scaling up the plans by hand off the computer monitor, I am coming to realize how HARD it is to build a Clark-Y with a tapered chord and thickness! Decades ago, I learned how to do symmetrical wings with taper but never have done a tapered Clark-Y and it's a trick! The difficulty is where to put the leading edge notch on each rib as it progresses from root to tip.

If the notch height rises (relative to the MAC) as the wing develops from the root to the tip, wash-in is developed even tho the aft section of the rib is flat bottomed.

Fred Reese (designer of the Cloud Dancer series) either fell into the right concept by accident, or did a lot of work to get the progressive airfoil "just right".

I've only flown a couple Cloud Dancers over the years and I cannot recall doing true spins with either (and I really want this model to do flat spins!). Wash-in is conducive to flat spins but also to deathly tip-stall rolls on slow approaches!
---------------

I fly at a lot of fun-fly meets; especially Big-Birds. I rarely build anything nowadays that is under 80" span. The 120 size is larger than I want to build (weight wise at 86").
There really needs to be a 90 size Cloud Dancer at 80-1/4"!

And where's the Cloud Dancer Bipe?
And... The Cloud Dancer wing shape lends itself to a Fokker D-VIII merely by adding 4 or 6 root ribs in the constant chord mid-section.
DustBen is online now Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 08, 2016, 04:39 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,596 Posts
DustBen

Wouldn't it be easier to have the 120 sized plans reduced to the desired size, say 50%

If you have the 40 size plans, they could be blown up to the 60 size.

Either method should reduce your airfoil design problems.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 05:20 AM
Find More Posts by BernardW
Australia, WA, Maylands
Joined Nov 2015
912 Posts
Quote:
You do indeed see the magnetic system. It is far and away a much better way to build than any previous way. it does cost a few bucks, but it was worth it. You can do a lot of different tasks and setups with the system, all the while avoiding pin holes and split wood.
It looks like it, and I would really, *really* like one myself, but unfortunately that's not something I can spend the money on now. I've been sort of, kind of making a bit of a copy as far as a few props here and there, making me feel intensely guilty for using someone else's extremely wonderful idea and not buying his quality product when he's already so generous with his knowledge and has that great site, and how about some of those builds he does? ("He" being the webmaster at airfieldmodels.com). I recommend that site to all air modellers and that jig system too, he would genuinely appreciate the business, look after you and you can be confident of a real quality product. Yes, it's a plug but it's from the heart because I think it's warranted - and I haven't even bought anything there (yet)
BernardW is offline Find More Posts by BernardW
Old Feb 08, 2016, 02:59 PM
Find More Posts by Oarlock
United States, IA, Spencer
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
Hi all!
I'm about 30% done with a 1/16 scale Loening OL-8 Amphibian. It will be done in the marking of the 1929 Alaskan Photographic survey A/C. It has a 40 inch W/S.
Oarlock is offline Find More Posts by Oarlock
Old Feb 08, 2016, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
2,629 Posts
Nice .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Feb 08, 2016, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by rc_extra230
Joined Jan 2008
29 Posts
[
"I've only flown a couple Cloud Dancers over the years and I cannot recall doing true spins with either (and I really want this model to do flat spins!). Wash-in is conducive to flat spins but also to deathly tip-stall rolls on slow approaches!"
---------------

My Cloud Dancer 40 did great flat spins. A little throttle and a little opposite aileron and it flattened right out.
rc_extra230 is offline Find More Posts by rc_extra230
Old Feb 08, 2016, 07:01 PM
Joined Feb 2014
89 Posts
It's an 11 lb. 4 oz. bouncing baby Cloud Dancer!

I still need to glue the canopy on, fiddle with the flap setup a bit, and replace a servo extension on one of the ailerons.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 07:13 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,596 Posts
You definitely have some covering skills !
Old Feb 08, 2016, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
5,265 Posts
but..... shes not naked! 73" telemaster coming to life.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 08, 2016, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by Windependence
The King Moonracer of balsa.
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
3,067 Posts
Rescued from a barn

RDJeff, that is a very nice covering job.

I recently acquired a very large box of "airplane stuff". It was discovered in a barn and the seller just wanted it gone so the price was right. After a week of sorting out the damaged beyond repair stuff from the salvageable stuff I have a few new airframes to work on. I like building almost as much as I like flying so having a good supply of projects is a good thing. I ended up with a few free flight wings (not pictured), a cool old sailplane fuselage, and three other airframes. It took me a while to ID them as I am primarily a sailplane guy and am not overly familiar with scale fuel designs.

I believe what I have is a 64" Sterling Monocoupe, a Aerocna L, and a WWI biplane (biplane not pictured). All of them are in the 60 - 72 inch range. I am currently looking for plans for them so I can finish building them. I have a couple of sailplane projects in the queue before these but they should be fun to repair and finish. I did make a few repairs to the Monocoupe wing just because I couldn't wait.

I know, I have a sickness, I just love building balsa models and I hate to see a repairable plane go in the trash. I can think of worse problems to have.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Feb 08, 2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by DustBen
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Dec 2011
2,716 Posts
Quote:
It's an 11 lb. 4 oz. bouncing baby Cloud Dancer!

I still need to glue the canopy on, fiddle with the flap setup a bit, and replace a servo extension on one of the ailerons.
Nize!
DustBen is online now Find More Posts by DustBen