New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2016, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by Quorneng
Joined Feb 2007
431 Posts
Blendedwing
It is powered by four 40 mm EDF in scale nacelles. This requirement actually set the size so it had to be built extremely light and even then the thrust is rather marginal.
There is a build blog here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post27763252
Quorneng is offline Find More Posts by Quorneng
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2016, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by Concordefan3
Joined Nov 2015
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng View Post
Blendedwing
It is powered by four 40 mm EDF in scale nacelles. This requirement actually set the size so it had to be built extremely light and even then the thrust is rather marginal.
There is a build blog here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post27763252
Great build, now you need to add more powerful edfs to make it fly as it's wing needs too with some more speed specially at launch times.
Concordefan3 is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan3
Old Jan 05, 2016, 02:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
431 Posts
Concordefan3
The 40mm EDFs were specifically chosen because they were light an important consideration with them mounted actually in the tailpipes.
Although modest they actually give It a reasonably scale performance.
Depron Concorde second flight (1 min 52 sec)

Just no aerobatics!
Old Jan 05, 2016, 02:19 PM
Joined Nov 2015
69 Posts
I saw how you mounted edfs in the tailend of the nacelles. Any spicific reason why you chose to mount them there...

On my model I designed edfs to be in the center of the nacelles but if you a good reason then I'll move mine to the tailpipes also as I can still do that.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 02:25 PM
Joined Nov 2015
69 Posts
8BTW Concorde have done mild aerobatics such as barrel rolls with Capt Brian Walpole on the controls with French test pilot.....So if we roll our models, it will still be scale flying....
Concorde Captain talks about Barrel Roll (4 min 29 sec)
Last edited by Concordefan3; Jan 05, 2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 06:44 PM
Joined Feb 2007
431 Posts
Concordefan3
There are 2 main reason why I did it like that bearing in mind I knew I needed to extract the maximum thrust.
1. With the EDF at the back the complete internal area of the nacelle is the inlet. This gave an inlet area that is 1.4 times the combined FSA of the fans so minimising the inlet duct losses.
Name: TwinFan2.JPG
Views: 25
Size: 108.9 KB
Description:
Not easy to see but the rectangular duct is carefully faired to the EDFs.
2. With no exhaust tube the EDF nozzle is the FSA and very short at that so minimising the losses in the high speed airflow part of the duct.
Finally when painted the EDFs actually look quite like the full size exhaust nozzles.
Name: JetPipes.JPG
Views: 33
Size: 104.7 KB
Description:
Last edited by Quorneng; Jan 05, 2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 07:25 PM
Joined Nov 2015
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng View Post
Concordefan3
There are 2 main reason why I did it like that bearing in mind I knew I needed to extract the maximum thrust.
1. With the EDF at the back the complete internal area of the nacelle is the inlet. This gave an inlet area that is 1.4 times the combined FSA of the fans so minimising the inlet duct losses.
Attachment 8575965
Not easy to see but the rectangular duct is carefully faired to the EDFs.
2. With no exhaust tube the EDF nozzle is the FSA and very short at that so minimising the losses in the high speed airflow part of the duct.
Finally when painted the EDFs actually look quite like the full size exhaust nozzles.
Attachment 8575989
So basically what you did was to round inner edges nearing the edfs to smooth the airflow into the EDFs. It's exactly like how insides of actual concorde nacelles are!. So if I were to follow how you did on ur model at my scale, would I'll be getting same performance?.

Nice touch by placing fan unit's outer ends outside the nacelles just like on prototypes and British pre production model G-AXDN. All production models has thrust reverser buckets behind the tailpipes/exhaust nozzles...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:43 AM
Joined Nov 2015
69 Posts
Huge set back deliberately done to this model and my Nikon D7000 camera by my ex-wife now!

She detroyed both wing structures and malicious tried to kill the camera by throwing out in frigid cold till it was frozen then placed in it's bag causing severe condensation to form inside n out side it....
Old Jan 28, 2016, 03:05 AM
Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
Remember... Fly for fun!
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
6,488 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear!

I'm very glad my ex didn't do any damage when I told her to leave
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2016, 05:27 AM
Find More Posts by BernardW
Australia, WA, Maylands
Joined Nov 2015
518 Posts
Oh man! Huge set back is a fair statement... really sorry to hear it's turned out like this for you. I sympathise, it's not fun.

I get that you might have bigger fish to fry right now but were you thinking of re-building or will that be it for a while. Did your cutting plans or whatever you made the wood parts from survive at all? Just have to put it behind you my friend, can't think of the right thing to say but anyway, Illegitimi non carborundum.
BernardW is online now Find More Posts by BernardW
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan3 View Post
...deliberately done to this model and my Nikon D7000 camera by my ex-wife now!...
Very nasty, and utterly childish. I'm sure others have told you you're better off without her.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Jan 28, 2016, 04:23 PM
Find More Posts by BernardW
Australia, WA, Maylands
Joined Nov 2015
518 Posts
Sue her!!
BernardW is online now Find More Posts by BernardW
Old Jan 29, 2016, 09:47 PM
Joined Nov 2015
69 Posts