HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:17 AM
Lost in the wind
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Discussion
RC Fuel Cell

Has anyone used or know of any one that has experience with these Fuel Cell's "hydrogen" for Multirotor application?

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Products/RC-Fuel-Cell

1W may be really high, but 10 hours... now you have to land to change out camera battery... unless you power it with that fuel-cell too...

Wow.. Hydrogen.. wonder how this effects your air travel? I assume there is gotta be some kind of training in case some one like me messes up with a small Hydrogen pack in the house or garage.

KS
ksrimoungchanh is offline Find More Posts by ksrimoungchanh
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:02 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,167 Posts
At 12Wh, it has about half the available energy as a 2200 3S pack. At 5.2 Kg, it weighs ~30 times greater than a typical 3S 2200 lipoly. Consequently, it has about 1/60th the energy density of lipoly. Also, at 30W, it has less than 1/10th the available power of a 3S 2200 25C lipoly.

As such, one can easily conclude that this device is completely useless for powering anything that flies and the following statement is disturbingly misleading:

"As in real-scale hybrid hydrogen-electric cars being engineered today, a smaller-size lithium battery provides peak power for accelerations and fast speed requests from the brushless motor, while the fuel cell provides cruise power and recharges the battery for extended runtimes."

Admittedly, it is pretty darn cool. I view it strictly as a novelty.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member