HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Yep betcha that's the case....methinks that's how Dynam keeps the price low; cross-utilizing as many components as possible and changing some cosmetics...hey, seems to work!!
Yeh I see some differences here n there between the 3 but 1 might be the same as the other I think the cowl is the same on the SU and the Peaks. Its foam round, has magnets. Looks the same.

The canopy looks shorter on the Peaks tho than all 3 ..

It is interesting............. Hey it works.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
I have a Spartan Quark (Tiny MEMS Gyro) that I'm trying to sell with no luck, I'm thinking about installing it in this bird.

Any thoughts on weather I should put on the ailerons or rudder?
i would go rudder, it will take out the torquing from giving throttle.
P.I.Engineer is online now Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Hey guys. I put together the Peaks last night. It took me much longer to get ready than the guys above. It pretty much took a few hours including TX setup. But I'm used to being a little slow. I made some mistakes so I had to spend a good amount of time correcting them.

First off, the packaging is great and sturdy. The instructions are clear. Mine arrived with a few minor nicks and the outer 1" of the left aileron was bent. I was able to bend it back. There are no extra screws or nuts so don't lose any.

The first thing I did was to remove the stock ESC banana plug and replace it with EC3. And there was my first mistake, I soldered the wrong connector end, duh! I didn't realize it until much later and I had to remove the wings to correct that.

The landing gear went on without a problem. The foam landing gear cover has double sided tape already attached to it, you just need to remove the covering then press it to the fuse after you screw on the landing gear.

Pushrods and tail feather stabilizers went on without much problem. The pushrods between the two ailerons were a very tight fit on the upper ailerons, so that took some extra care. The tail feathers were held on with two outside screws and two inside the fuse. Driving in the two inside screws were like playing that old game, Operation. If you lose the screw in the fuse, it sucks trying to get it out! (mistake #2). Make sure you have a good skinny magnetized phillips for these. You guys probably already know this but if you don't have a magnetizing block, just touch your screwdriver to your motor or the back of a speaker or any other magnet.

Out of the box, the Y-adapter for the ailerons was attached to the rudder and elevator servos. That was probably done to make reaching those servo wires easier. They are really short. Unless you add servo extension wires to the rudder and elevator (as I did, 6"), you will have to install and setup your receiver before putting on the bottom wing. Then any further access to the receiver will require removal of the bottom wing (8 screws). I then attached the Y-adapter to the ailerons and screwed on the bottom wing.

The rest of the assembly was really easy. I placed two pieces of double-sided tape on the rearmost removable cover. I'll replace that with magnets that should be delivered soon. I also placed a piece of clear tape with one end doubled-back over itself on the back of the frontmost cover and used that as a pull-tab for easy removal.

I really like the decals so I applied all the larger ones as you'll see in the photos. If you place a decal and want to move it, there's a good chance it will take some paint off in the process. A black or red marker resolves that. The decal that is supposed to go under the left wing, fits better under the right one without have to cut to make room for the aileron servo.

Transmitter and control surface setup took the most time for me. I had to reverse ailerons and rudder. I had setup everything and then remembered to check the manual for the suggested throws (mistake #3). By default, using my DX8 and OrangeRx receiver, the tail throws were way too much and the aileron throws were not enough. I had to drop my travel adjust for rudder and elevator to around 50%. I increased my ailerons to 125%. You'll really have to work-in the elevator and aileron hinges, they're pretty stiff out of the box. I was a little disappointed with the aileron servo horns, they were really thin and flimsy. The aileron servos had a hard time getting the maximum suggested throw of 20mm unless you work those hinges. The tail throws look a little too small to me, but I'm far from an expert. I measured from the outermost part of the control surface and set it up to just beyond the recommended throws.

When I throttle up a little bit, the motor pulsates. That occurs consistently but only when I give it just a tiny bit of throttle. that's a bit concerning. Once I got past that, she seems to spin up just fine. I'm curious if the Detrum ESC has a throttle range setup feature. I didn't see anything in the manual about it.

I marked the underside of the upper wings at 87mm with a felt tip pen, which is between the suggested 85-90mm from the leading edge. The center of gravity works out perfectly when I align the backside (non-wired end) of the lipo pack with the edge of the battery compartment and cowling. I'm using the Turnigy Nano-Tech 4S 2200 mAh Lipos which are 10g lighter than the SkyLipo, have a higher discharge and charge rate. No knocking SkyLipo, I have a ton of them and am very satisfied.

I'm going to try to maiden her today after work. We'll see how it works out.

Larry
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
Great writeup Larry, some good info in there! Its a great looking model....mine should be here tomorrow. Have you tried setting your throttle settings? Turn on your radio and move your throttle stick to full then plug in the battery to your plane...you should hear a few beeps then move your throttle stick all the way down to zero and will hear a few more beeps....this should set your range. Hope that works!
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Great writeup Larry, some good info in there! Its a great looking model....mine should be here tomorrow. Have you tried setting your throttle settings? Turn on your radio and move your throttle stick to full then plug in the battery to your plane...you should hear a few beeps then move your throttle stick all the way down to zero and will hear a few more beeps....this should set your range. Hope that works!
Thanks for that suggestion. I've done that on other ESCs. I'll try it today before flying.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
Thanks for that suggestion. I've done that on other ESCs. I'll try it today before flying.

Thanks again!
MAKE SURE YOU DO IT BEFORE FLYING! lol
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,205 Posts
Nice build write up, one thing you might want to check, is the motor mount screws. I read in the Sbach forum that some people had loose screws mounting the motor, so last night I took off the cowl and 3 of my screws were very loose, so I loctited em.

The cowl is cool, it's held on with 2 magnets!!! Also dont make the mistake of loctiting the collet nut, -_- OMG I could not get my prop off it, using a wrench it just spun the collet on the motor shaft. I had to heat the collet and nut to break the loctite and pulled the collet adapter off.

I'm also using the Nano-Tech's since they are lighter, I liked em soo much I replaced all my flight lipo's for all my aircraft with nano-techs, hey every gram counts right!

(Still love Gen's Ace too though, perfect for my surface RC's ~_^ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
i would go rudder, it will take out the torquing from giving throttle.
Sounds good! Hopefully it might help me learn to hover this bad boy this weekend. I know it's cheating, but I loved this Gyro so much I can't bare to think of it just collecting dust.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Feb 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
queadlunnrau, I have absolutely zero experience with gyros....how exactly would you go about setting something like that up on a model like this?

Id love to just hover the crap out of this thing when I get it, but I need a lot more practice! Ive been on my RealFlight G6 every night just for that reason....and practicing on my 3D foamies.

Im curious to hear how you would set up the gyro though. Thank you!

Jordan
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:36 AM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,346 Posts
Just pulled the trigger! Valentine's day code for 14% off made it $129.00 shipped to texas. Glad the logos, etc. are decals. I did the graphics for Zero Gravity when they produced their 42" Python. Same size, so I think I may need to update my files and see what I can come up with on my vinyl cutter. Can't wait to try this one. I love my ZG Python, but It doesn't get out much as I'm afraid to smash it...

Cheers!
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Nice build write up, one thing you might want to check, is the motor mount screws. I read in the Sbach forum that some people had loose screws mounting the motor, so last night I took off the cowl and 3 of my screws were very loose, so I loctited em.
I'll definitely do that. Thanks!

Quote:
Also dont make the mistake of loctiting the collet nut, -_- OMG I could not get my prop off it, using a wrench it just spun the collet on the motor shaft. I had to heat the collet and nut to break the loctite and pulled the collet adapter off.
Dude, a little late on that one! I used blue loctite. Please tell me you used the red one and I won't have as difficult a time with it.

Larry
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:10 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,999 Posts
Quote:

Thanks again!
Yep set the throttle range and also like on the Sbach and SU-26M I changes the timing as I too had the stutter at motor startup. I cant remember what I set it to tho. LOL . I think its set to low by default I set mine to medium ?
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
I just attempted to set the throttle range. There was no change in the stutter. I also checked the motor mount screws and they all seemed fine. Luckily, the blue Loctite is just fine and it wasn't difficult to remove the nut. I'll try adjusting the timing later tonight, but it should fly fine for now.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
Keep us updated on your flight report! Any chance of a video?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,619 Posts
Quote:
I just attempted to set the throttle range. There was no change in the stutter. I also checked the motor mount screws and they all seemed fine. Luckily, the blue Loctite is just fine and it wasn't difficult to remove the nut. I'll try adjusting the timing later tonight, but it should fly fine for now.
Sounds like your ESC timing is off. Also check all your bullet connections and make sure there are real snug.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:56 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
how exactly would you go about setting something like that up on a model like this?
This is going to be the first time I will be doing this, read through a couple of treads about setting it up. I'm going to set it up just like in my heli except manually set Ch5 (gyro gain) on my Dx7 to 50 which should be rate mode.

Basically I'm gonna wing it, put rudder to the gyro and gyro to rudder and gear channels, set gyro to 1540u 333hz, adjust endpoints, set rate to 50, fly and adjust.

Quote:
Dude, a little late on that one! I used blue loctite. Please tell me you used the red one and I won't have as difficult a time with it.
I used blue 242 =( hopefully yours won't stick like mine. I've now marred up my motor shaft with a dremel, should hopefully make the collet not spin freely again.

Also NitroPlanes is having a Valentines day sale, 14% off everything ... Just pulled the trigger on the Dynam Sbach ARF ... $135.08 shipped!!!
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau